Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:02:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Baroness Thatcher has died  (Read 8064 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2013, 14:27:37 »

The formidable former PM who did a lot to shape the country today thorough privatisation has died today.
Mistakenly blamed for the privatisation of the railways which was carried out by her successor; she was 'too scared' to try it due to the perceived difficulties.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 16:38:50 »

She traveled to York once by train and I got to meet her at York station when I was a little nipper as it was the same day we had a family day out to the National Railway museum. I remember it well as it was when BR (British Rail(ways)) did a Family Railcard promotion that if you bought your teddy bear you got to travel for free. We almost didn't make it to York as our HST (High Speed Train) decided to break down in the tunnels leading to Birmingham New Street and my Dad was talking about us having to turn around and come home. Fortunately the fitter managed to fix the problem and we were on our way again. So a minor claim to fame, me and my teddy bear got to meet Mrs T. Also met John Major, minus teddy bear that time though.

I answer to NickF, no I don't think she was a big fan of the railways.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 20:30:24 »

Didnt she hate the railways though and always travelled by private car when going about her business?

Quote from Railway Eye today....

However, under Blessed Margaret Hilda's premiership the following were delivered:
Electrification of the East Coast Main Line (with new InterCity 225 train sets)
Brand new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for the Regional Railways business
And the Chunnel - as a rail link
And of course we also had support for Sir Robert Reid's business led railway and Sectorisation (before the idiot Major's 'botched privatisation').

....as well as various electrification schemes to Norwich, Cambridge and Kings Lynn and others.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 21:00:31 »

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Later railway electrification history in the UK (United Kingdom) is much as below:

Lea Valley completed 1968
Witham - Braintree completed 1976
Merseyrail (Loop/Link) authorised 1971 completed 1977
(extensions to Hooton , Chester, Hunts Cross in 1980's)
KX Suburban authorised 1972/3 completed 1978
BedPan authorised 1976 completed 1983
Anglia (East) (Colchester - Norwich) authorised 1981
Ayrshire (Ayr) authorised 1983
Hastings dc authorised 1983
Anglia (West) Cambridge authorised 1984
Southminster authorised 1984
Romford authorised 1984
ECML (East Coast Main Line) authorised 1984
North London ac authorised 1984
East Grinstead authorised 1985
Largs authorised 1985
Snow Hill (Thameslink - FCC (First Capital Connect)) authorised  1985
North London dc and Graham Rd authorised 1985
Weymouth 1986

(Source: Modern Railways Insight: BR (British Rail(ways)) Electrification)

Generally the 1980's projects were completed on time and to budget or better.

The high spending administration of 1997 - 2010 electrified 9 route miles (Crewe - Kidsgrove).

The 1979 - 1990 administration did flirt with privatisation and Serpell cuts but thought better of it.

Si monumentum requiris, circumspice.

(if you need a memorial. look around you)

OTC

......and the Chunnel....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 23:41:41 by onthecushions » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: