Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:09:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[256] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Misleading advertising?
[14] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: New design of common stock ticket  (Read 49131 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2013, 23:07:47 »

Noticed when topping up my Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card at the weekend that the common stock ticket design has changed somewhat, which is confirmed by a look at the internal pages of the National Fares Manual.

Old:

New:

The logo in the bottom left-hand corner is now in a circle, and the lime-green security background reads "National Rail" rather than "Rail Settlement Plan". Although the more recent ticket has the back face covered with an advertisement, it would appear from the NFM (National Fares Manual) that tickets without advertising will bear a special box for staff endorsements.

These tickets are form number RSP 9399 as used in Scheidt and Bachmann TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine), but the same changes are due to be applied to all the common stock tickets, including RSP 9599 as used in most ticket offices: it appears that this will happen progressively (with the older designs remaining in circulation until further notice, whilst supplies are exhausted) and begun in late February.

Anyone else spotted these tickets yet?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 23:39:31 »

The S & B machines at Barnstaple were still using the old stock last week but I have seen the new version somewhere.  Just gone through a load of my tickets and I can't find it now!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 00:22:22 »

Noticed this new design on the ticket stock blanks a few weeks ago. I believe ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) are also looking at other changes that will encompass the information printed on the ticket.

One test layout has escaped into the public domain. Not the clearest quality image, but it does show what could be printed on common stock with an industry wide software change:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 22:07:27 »

Not sure I like the look of the BR (British Rail(ways)) logo put in a circle on the ticket.

That's just a little thing though, pleased to see the Advance showing the trains it is valid on, seperate reservation cards no longer mandatory I would hope. I do think the current 'Advance' tickets should be renamed 'Tethered' though, as somebody on this fourm (grahame if I remember correctly) has suggested in the past. Not sure the symbol that denotes a child/discounted ticket is necessary, unless it exists so ticket inspectors can check more quickly?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 22:17:09 »

Not sure I like the look of the BR (British Rail(ways)) logo put in a circle on the ticket.

To be fair it's been the National Rail logo for a few years now... see NR» (Network Rail - home page) website, blue NR ticket holders etc.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 14:37:46 »

That's just a little thing though, pleased to see the Advance showing the trains it is valid on,

Remember that's just a possibility that was being mulled over at ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) (one of several, no doubt, but this one got leaked). This doesn't mean that the layout of the printed ticket will be changing to that one necessarily.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 18:51:20 »

To be fair it's been the National Rail logo for a few years now... see NR» (Network Rail - home page) website, blue NR ticket holders etc.
I know they already have it on the website, railcard wallets etc., I just think it looks a bit odd on the ticket like that.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 13:45:02 »

Not sure if this has been commented on since a very old thread two years ago but it looks as though your train tickets are about to get a redesign according to this July 2013 ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) leaflet.
http://www.atoc.org/download/clientfiles/files/Your%20ticket%20to%20travel.pdf

The very old thread I was refering to is http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9200.0
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 17:13:15 »

I've taken the liberty to merge lhrdave's post (above) with this old thread where a draft version of the ticket design was leaked.  It would appear many features of the prototype are now featured in the ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) leaflet.

There are a few issues I have: the ticket has no STD or 1ST marker in large writing and the "Advance Single" could easily be changed into "Advance Single 1st", especially if staff don't look further down to ticket.  Also there is no asterisk after the station name, possibly because the examples are longer - this would need to be fixed to prevent the Barry / Barry Links "issue".
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:49 »

Introduction
Some of you may be aware that work has been taking place to update design of the ordinary rail ticket to allow information to be shown in a more customer-friendly way. The new design will be rolled out initially to TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) during 2014, with other ticket issuing systems to follow.
What is happening from 10 March 2014?
TVMs at two locations on the Northern network will be issuing tickets in this new format as part of the test process prior to full roll-out. These machines will be selling valid tickets to customers, and the purpose of this brief is to alert you that you may be presented with these tickets in the course of your duties.
What do these tickets look like?
The attached sheet illustrates examples of tickets in the new format. Unlike the current design, completely different layouts will be used for ^walk-up^ tickets and ^advance^ tickets. In the case of ^advance^, these will now include the reservations information on the ticket itself. Where the booked journey involves more than 2 legs, the reservations will be printed on a separate coupon (in an updated layout). The machines on test will issue the new style designs in the case of passengers buying their ticket from these machines, and in due course will also do so where passengers are collecting tickets bought online.
Where might I see these tickets?
In common with most ticket machines, the TVMs on test are able to issue tickets valid anywhere on the National Rail network, and for travel by any operator. Therefore please note that it is possible that anyone involved in ticket inspection duties may be presented with a ticket issued to the new designs.

What are peoples views on this new ticket??

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:11:56 »

Well it will stop those who try it on with Advance tickets who 'forget' or 'didn't know' they needed to bring the reservation part of their Advance ticket.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 17:32:32 »

Seems reasonable and gives all of the information necessary and if it save the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) spewing out umpteen bits of card for a simple return journey then it gets my vote.

Well it will stop those who try it on with Advance tickets who 'forget' or 'didn't know' they needed to bring the reservation part of their Advance ticket.

The vast majority of my train journeys use Advance tickets with reservations and only once (on 3rd January 2008, I remember it well!) have I ever been asked to produce evidence of my reservation. That one time, my reserved seat (at a table) had been occupied by an elderly lady travelling with her daughter and her 2 granddaughters (so I found out). I simply found the nearest unreserved empty seat and took that one without a fuss. When the Train Manager checked my ticket, he promptly told me I was in the wrong seat and should be travelling in my reserved seat. He then went to the lady sat in 'my' seat and asked her to move. Absolutely no need to do, but I guess he wanted to exercise his powers!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 18:38:37 »

The print size on the advance ticket is quite small.  Not so good for us "oldies" Angry

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:19 »

<Pedant Post>

The seat reservations are wrong... Advance 1ST Class in Coach C?? Errr No!

Coach B might be correct if the set was a HST (High Speed Train). But it's rare for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST to go west of Plymouth Roll Eyes

</Pedant Post>

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:02:26 »

Your quote marks imply that you don't think it possible that passengers could make such a mistake. That's the attitude I like least about the rail industry, and the one that often makes me paranoid and stressed when I travel in case I've failed to spot an esoteric rule that may make sense to staff but is less obvious to a punter.

Combining everything into one ticket just makes sense; it's fail-safe.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: