29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:34:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: More expensive station parking to decimate train use or are there other factors?  (Read 10787 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 22:12:01 »

The  original article was entitled "Rise in parking charges could see station axed".   I guess I felt that was a bit over the top / unlikely due to the cost of closure procedures, etc and that it would be better to look at other places that services have been cut to bare bones as a comparison point, such as the one I used, or Brigg, Denton, Teeside Airport or Pilning.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 22:15:25 »

It would indeed be rather worrying if the introduction of car parking charges were to see Pilning Station axed ...  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 19:58:45 »

One of the reasons for Fishguard & Goodwick station reopening was supposedly the expensive car parking at Fishguard Harbour. Sadly openning Goodwick meant the buses stopped serving Fishguard Harbour, meaning the vastly superior facilities for interchange (waiting room and toilets) at the harbour are no longer available for connecting passengers, except perhaps one train a day when the buses go down to the harbour for the ferry.

But wasn't there just one bus to train connection available anyway at the Harbour?  As I recall trains were twice a day - lunchtime / early afternoon, and in the middle of the night.  You're saying that buses still go down to the ferry and connect with the daytime train there, so I'm not sure I can see that anything has been lost - or are you simply commenting that it could have been done more / differently with the interchange point of choice between road and rail being at the pre-exisiting station rather than the new one?
You are quite correct, the two bus trips to the harbour and back, timed to connect with the daytime boat train, were there back when there was one train a day. This is also the case at present, buses to the harbour for the daytime boat train / ferry only.

HOWEVER, the train service was boosted BEFORE Fishguard & Goodwick station opened, so a handful of buses were diverted via the harbour station to connect with some of the extra trains. For example the 7am Cardigan to Haverfordwest was retimed to depart Cardigan a few minutes earlier and gave passengers a connection into the 08:04 train (20 minute wait, fine if you have a waiting room which the harbour station does). Unfortunately when FGW (First Great Western) opened all the extra buses to the harbour were removed, including that one which reverted to 7am off Cardigan. Now the 20 minute wait is at FGW rather than FGH and in my opinion is no longer a 'connection' due to the lack of facilities at FGW.

Not being local to Fishguard, I may be talking through my hat, but the Richards Bros timetable of local buses seems to show connections timed for the trains at Fishguard and Goodwick Station and my recollection is that the main road passes right by the station. I believe the trains serving West Wales have toilets so that shouldn't be a problem.  Since Google Earth has an old street view of the area, I cannot tell whether the council have erected a shelter for intending passengers, but that certainly should be in place now that the stop is more frequently used (I hope).

I intend to take advantage of the increased service so have looked at the options for arrival at the new station.  I hope I won't be disappointed.
Different pepole have different definitions of 'connection'. By my definition, bus/rail connections at Fishguard & Goodwick are impossible (because I don't trust the train to be sufficently punctial to allow a short enough wait time that the wind doesn't freeze you). There are buses sure enough (except on Sundays), but some of them cut it fine and others leave you out in the cold for a long while. There are bus shelters, but bus shelters are hopeless against wind.

For your information not all routes pass the station bus stops (just outside the station entrance), for the St. Davids - Fishguard service in particular you need to go to the Tesco Express (it isn't all that far away though).

------------------
Anyway, sorry for partially derailing the thread, I mentioned FGW as an example of a station being openned to cut the cost of car parking for rail users.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 20:06:04 by Rhydgaled » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 21:42:51 »

I enjoyed the diversion, Rhydgaled.  Thanks for the info which will be useful when I visit.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 18:50:04 »

I'm doubtful about the effect of car parks, as each car space generally only generates 2 passenger movements per day (1 in, 1 out), although I like using them. By contrast, pedestrian access is reckoned possible within 12 minutes walk at 5km/hr, i.e  a catchment area of about 3.2 km2, or a population of about 12 000. Typically about 25 movements per year per individual seem to be a reasonable average, giving a typical suburban station figure of about 300 000. Bus link amplify this considerably.

To provide this equal access by car over say 300 days needs 500 spaces, hence my scepticism.

Incidentally, this method indicates how high Melksham passenger usage could be, if the residential area is compact and near.

OTC

brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 20:29:21 »

In addition to those points about the numbers of potential rail customers who can arrive at a station by walking or using a convenient (an important word!) bus service, I would add that good, safe and attractive cycling routes will widen the station catchment zone considerably. As many stations (especially London travel to work area ones) have demonstrated secure cycle parking reveals a huge demand, which often results in the number of spaces doubling every few years. Of course, secure cycle parking is far cheaper to provide than car parking given that perhaps a dozen or so bikes can fit into one car park space.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 07:37:15 »

"How did you get to the station?" - data from survey on a typical weekday, now a year or two old.  Unsure of sampling methodology - and data came with a valid caution (which I'll repeat) about not relying on low figures of under 100 in a sample, and being very careful indeed (to the extent of ignoring!) samples of under 50.

Many thanks to Passenger Focus for this data / these data sets which have been really useful in generating thoughts as to connection at stations. And the figures do not disagree with other evidence, which is always good news in firming up ideas.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 08:37:10 »

Very interesting figures.

Surprised figures for waliking are first but coming to think about it I walked to Taplow Staion for nearly 40 years, then walked to the Underground then to my office.

Interssting that cardrop off is higher than parking but then again experience at Slough watching the 19:36 HST (High Speed Train) arrive suggests more people are picked up off that train than have parked.

Wonder what Other is? Sinclair C5 or that new two wheeld stick thing that was supposed to catch on. Terrible remembering names.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:10 »

Segway - see Segway boss Jimi Heselden dies in scooter cliff fallSad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 10:12:09 »

Will never catch on here unless is it made legal to use in a public place.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: