14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:31:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[49] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[39] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[37] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 455s to be upgraded  (Read 18083 times)
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 12:28:27 »

I think many passengers would be aware of the 455s having no toilets.

Many trains operating in the London area have no toilets - none on 313, 315, 376, 378, 455, 456 units, nor any toilets on Underground trains, nor the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) or Croydon Tramlink. Passengers will be aware that toilets may not always be available.

In the case of SWT (South West Trains) and the 455s - these are painted in their own colour scheme from the rest of the fleet, plus SWT really make an effort to keep 455s on the same routes day in day out - sure this doesn't always happen, but these are very rare occasions. The other factor, is that SWT diagram 455s on routes that usually have an end to end journey time of around an hour - not long distance journies.

JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 12:30:41 »

Not ideal lacking toilets when they turn up on Reading services though.

A not too infrequent occurrence at the moment while the Class 458s are away getting stretched.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 12:41:19 »

It's not that they are away getting lengthened yet, I believe that a lot of the fleet required tyre turning.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 14:33:47 »

It's not that they are away getting lengthened yet, I believe that a lot of the fleet required tyre turning.

That's right, SWT (South West Trains) mentioned it in the webchat a few weeks back.  Apparently, as mentioned in wnxx, some sort of track defect damaged many of the 458's wheel sets.  AIUI (as I understand it) none of the 458s will be 'stretched' until the first four (or maybe even six) completed units made from the 460s are in service.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 14:54:47 »

I think many passengers would be aware of the 455s having no toilets.

snipped

Pity those who don't then.   Roll Eyes   Grin

- always assuming they weren't trainspotters who knew what the numbers on the front meant.
 - or were blind
 -

BNM has reminded me about the journey length, which is extra to the points I made.  I reckon 40 mins should be the determining factor.  Otherwise the guard should warn pax before departure.  Any advance on 40 mins? 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 15:03:33 »

An hour.

And if the station isn't ever served by trains *with* toilets, never. Not required, if no one expects them.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 23:59:19 »

Pity those who don't then.   Roll Eyes   Grin

- always assuming they weren't trainspotters who knew what the numbers on the front meant.
 - or were blind
 -

BNM has reminded me about the journey length, which is extra to the points I made.  I reckon 40 mins should be the determining factor.  Otherwise the guard should warn pax before departure.  Any advance on 40 mins? 
You don't need to know the numbers on the front though. These trains are used on the same routes day in day out. In London there isn't an expectation of a toilet on a train, just like there is no expectation of 1st Class or a buffet car on suburban services. Whilst I feel sorry for anyone caught short, I think the majority of users in the London area will be aware of the lack of facilities.

And as I've said again, these trains are used on routes that are usually no more than an hour in length.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05:56 »

That's right, SWT (South West Trains) mentioned it in the webchat a few weeks back.  Apparently, as mentioned in wnxx, some sort of track defect damaged many of the 458's wheel sets.  AIUI (as I understand it) none of the 458s will be 'stretched' until the first four (or maybe even six) completed units made from the 460s are in service.

Another example of the the problems of the disconenct between the wheel and the track. In the old days the relevant Mechanical and Civil Engineers involved would be on the carpet in front of the general manager to sort it out. Nowadays it's buck passing to avoid penalties. I believe it's called market forces.

Doesn't work.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 00:22:09 »

SWT (South West Trains) is the closest to vertical integration on the network nowadays having been in a deep alliance with Network Rail for a while now. Tim Shoveller is not MD of SWT but MD of the SWT-NR» (Network Rail - home page) alliance.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 22:38:11 »

Another example of the the problems of the disconenct between the wheel and the track. In the old days the relevant Mechanical and Civil Engineers involved would be on the carpet in front of the general manager to sort it out. Nowadays it's buck passing to avoid penalties. I believe it's called market forces.

Doesn't work.

As someone who has first-hand knowledge of the situation under discussion, I'm afraid that your comment is ill-informed nonsense.

Both SWT (South West Trains) and NR» (Network Rail - home page) worked very hard together in attempting to find the source of the problem, including running special empty stock trains through locations where the problem was thought to be. It took some time to identify it, but it was located and resolved. It's not in SWT's interest to have a piece of track chewing up train wheels, nor is it in NR's interest to keep having to foot the bill for repairs. Both parties had a strong interest in getting things sorted, and indeed they have been. I doubt BR (British Rail(ways)) could have done it any quicker. Oddly enough getting people "on the carpet" for a dressing down doesn't actually solve any problems. Getting out there and working together does.

Wonder whether they going to fit loos in the refurbishment?

No plans to do so. As has already been extensively discussed above, the trains are used on short routes for which toilets aren't really required (and indeed fitting them would need extensive alterations to the trains, given that retention tanks would be required). BR specified the trains in the 1980s without toilets and their use hasn't changed significantly since then, so that's a good 20 - 30 years that the travelling public has had to get used to the idea that suburban services operated using SWT's red trains don't have lavs on board.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 22:45:50 by inspector_blakey » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 08:36:58 »

Oddly enough getting people "on the carpet" for a dressing down doesn't actually solve any problems. Getting out there and working together does.

I don't find it odd at all. It's common sense really. On so many occasions the public's cry for someone to blame gets in the way of solutions.  That is why we now have the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch).
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 15:59:12 »

Surprisingly I am in agreement r.e the Karzi issue. Suburban stock doesn't really need them providing that availability at stations is not a problem.

I think stock running services such as Bristol - Weymouth or Bristol - Salisbury should definitely have a toilet or two onboard. A lot of the intermediate stations lack facilities at all (Bradford-on-Avon, Keynsham) to name a couple. Or they are only open when the station is staffed (Trowbridge, Warminster etc)

I think it's more of a problem on London Underground services. I'm very careful in what I say about staff but it sometimes makes me think that LU Staff clearly have never heard of the concept of a toilet, as they don't like letting you out of the barrier to use one. I've had alsorts of comments thrown at me by staff including the suggestion of going before starting the journey (Which I would've done anyway)

I think it's about the four P's... (No pun intended Grin ) if you know the method of transport is not going to have a toilet, then plan accordingly.

Without trying to hijack the thread, Considering my medical condition which on any day will see approximately double figure toilet visits. You learn to plan for the worst case scenario. I manage ok 90% of the time. However I really do get annoyed when staff make things as awkward as possible; like suggest buying a new ticket if you go out of the gateline.

The availability of public facilities should also be addressed. Closing toilets is only going to encourage people to urinate in the street. Spend a Friday or Saturday night in Bristol or Bath (The latter having only 1 central 24 hour free facility - 1 on the outskirts which is 10p a use) and you'll see exactly what I mean Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 20:06:41 »

Why can't those iut on the raz just pop back on the pub they had their last drink in, or even any other? Thats what I do....
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 20:25:00 »

Licensing laws... No re-entry after 01:30 or there abouts AIUI (as I understand it). To be fair, Bristol City Council do put temporary urinals out in and around the waterfront. However they take the term 'Public' to a whole new level! Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 20:40:26 »

Doesn't work.

As someone who has first-hand knowledge of the situation under discussion, I'm afraid that your comment is ill-informed nonsense.

Both SWT (South West Trains) and NR» (Network Rail - home page) worked very hard together in attempting to find the source of the problem, including running special empty stock trains through locations where the problem was thought to be. It took some time to identify it, but it was located and resolved. It's not in SWT's interest to have a piece of track chewing up train wheels, nor is it in NR's interest to keep having to foot the bill for repairs. Both parties had a strong interest in getting things sorted, and indeed they have been. I doubt BR (British Rail(ways)) could have done it any quicker. Oddly enough getting people "on the carpet" for a dressing down doesn't actually solve any problems. Getting out there and working together does.

I agree IB, likewise my work in projects involves many discussions involving our contractors, the Routes and their partners in the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s and FOC (Freight Operating Company)'s to reach a mutually acceptable access to the infrastructure I want to take to pieces and then put back together.  We will put together a risk pack sometimes its a bit dooms day i.e. worst case, when things go wrong, as they endurably will do, there is nothing to gain in finger pointing and blaming each other as that destroys working relationships better accept where you have got in wrong, learn from it and move on.   It our project office anyone walking in cannot tell which are NR staff and which are from the contractors and indeed which contractor, very collaborative.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: