07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 10:01:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aviation - Private Pilots Licenses and related discussions (split topic)  (Read 12502 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:44:14 »

Affirm ready for departure, G-FTN.

As anyone who has learnt to fly will know  it is easy to drift from the intended course. Last aviation maxim: there are two types of pilot - those who have been lost, and those who will get lost.

Now, please!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 04:50:04 »

there are two types of pilot - those who have been lost, and those who will get lost.
Sounds like some of our rubber wheeled 'pilots' Grin Cheesy

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 16:29:32 »

there are two types of pilot - those who have been lost, and those who will get lost.
Sounds like some of our rubber wheeled 'pilots' Grin Cheesy

In a car, of course, you can pull over and ask directions, unless you're a man.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 14:43:07 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Humberside Airport emergency landing pilot dies

The plane was landed at Humberside Airport by a passenger under the guidance of two flying instructors

A pilot who fell ill at the controls of his plane forcing his passenger to land the light aircraft has died, police have said.

The man collapsed in the cockpit of the plane after taking off, leaving the "inexperienced" passenger to make an emergency landing.

The plane landed at Humberside Airport under the guidance of instructors called in by air traffic controllers.

Police said they were unable to confirm the cause of death.

A spokesman for Humberside Police said: "The pilot of the plane sadly died last night. We are not treating it as suspicious and we are in a position whereby formal identification will take place later today." He added that a file would be prepared for the coroner.

Police, fire and ambulance crews were called to the North Lincolnshire airport after a distress call was made from the light aircraft at about 18:25 BST.

Two flying instructors were called in to advise the passenger, named only as "John", on how to bring the plane down and a RAF (Royal Air Force) Sea King helicopter was scrambled to provide assistance.

One of them, Roy Murray, said: "I think without any sort of talk-down he would have just gone into the ground and that would have been the end of it."

The passenger and pilot were the only people on board the Cessna 172 aircraft, which had taken off from Sandtoft Airfield 25 miles (40km) away. It is believed the two men had flown to Skegness and were returning to Sandtoft when the pilot collapsed.

Speaking at a press conference earlier Mr Murray said the novice flyer did four circuits of the airport before landing at about 19:30. He said: "The gentleman was called John, that's all I knew. We had to get him to do two to three circuits. The last one was not very good so we told him to go round again and on the fourth one he managed it. He did a beautiful landing in my opinion. He was calm. He was answering the calls I made to him quite professionally. I would not be frightened to fly with him."

Eyewitnesses described seeing sparks as the plane landed. Stuart Sykes, who saw the aircraft land, said: "It came down with a bump, a bump, a bump, hit the front end down, I heard some crashing and it's come to a halt."

Two incoming flights were delayed while the aircraft was removed from the runway.

Richard Tomlinson, a friend of the pilot and his passenger, told BBC Radio Sheffield the passenger was "nothing short of a hero". He said: "For somebody who is not a pilot but has been around airfields and been a passenger on several occasions to take control is nothing short of phenomenal. The man is nothing short of a hero."

Mr Tomlinson, himself an amateur pilot, said of the man who died: was a "very experienced pilot". He added: "He had been flying for many years. Only this week I was sat having a cup of tea and airfield banter [with both men]. They were both very funny gentlemen to have a conversation with. It is very, very sad news."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:56 »

This is an amazing story, but my sympathies are very much with the family of the deceased pilot. They have asked to be left out of the media frenzy, a completely understandable stance. I think, though, that some comments may be made about the age of the pilot, and as this thread concerns licensing of private pilots, inter alia here is the legal position regarding medical requirements.

As a very minimum, a pilot over the age of 70 flying under a National Private Pilots Licence (NPPL) would have to make an annual declaration of health, to the effect that he satisfies the health criteria for DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) Group 2 professional drivers. This would be countersigned by his GP, who would not give false information. If flying under a JAR PPL class 2 or the newer European equivalent, he would have an annual (expensive and far-reaching) examination by a CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about) accredited Authorised Medical Examiner, with an ECG under exercise bi-annually. Age is no bar to flying. The procedures to stop medically unfit people from taking the controls are, in this country, robust. Sudden illness can overtake anyone without warning, and unfortunately for this chap, he happened to be airborne at the time.

The otherwise safe conclusion of this flight is an amazing feat by all concerned. I know how difficult it can be to master the art of landing. My instructor told me as we began the lesson (it took several before he let me go alone) that he couldn't teach me to land a plane, but could help me to learn, and keep me safe in the meantime. That a person with no experience can be talked down in the dark is nothing short of magnificent work on behalf of all concerned.

I shall say no more for now.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 11:44:03 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) have posted a follow-up with an interview with the passenger

A passenger who was forced to land a light aircraft after his pilot fell ill at the controls said he panicked and then just thought of survival.

John Wildey landed the plane at Humberside Airport on Tuesday night, under the guidance of instructors called in by air traffic controllers.

The pilot, who has since died, had collapsed in the cockpit.

Mr Wildey, 77, told BBC News he "just wanted to keep going, to get down".

'Controlled crash'

Mr Wildey is a flying enthusiast but has never had a lesson.

He said he "had plenty of doubts [about whether I'd survive], because I just didn't know what was going to happen".

"Luckily [the instructors] were talking to me on the radio all the time, so that was helping me. They gave me confidence."

He described how he landed the plane with a "right bump", saying it was like a "controlled crash, really".

Mr Wildey said the pilot, who has not been identified at the request of his family, was a "brilliant" man.

"We had a good laugh and a chat going out there and coming back and then it all happened," he said.

"I really feel sorry for his wife and his relatives, they're the ones that have actually suffered."
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 12:03:07 »

Mr Wildey is indeed a remarkable man. Further quotes, from the Telegraph:

Mr Wildey, a former RAF (Royal Air Force) employee, was the only passenger aboard. He said: "I did a Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, and they got back to me from Humberside. I didn't know what I was doing...and at one point it stalled and that terrified me."

Air traffic controllers asked Mr Wildey to head to Humberside Airport, north Lincs. He located the Humber Bridge and found his way from there.

"We sort of did a hop and bump and a crash landing. I was terrified, to be honest."

But Mr Wildey added: "I would love to go up again."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 13:19:39 »

FTN said:

That a person with no experience can be talked down in the dark is nothing short of magnificent work on behalf of all concerned.

Seconded, by this former driver of light aeroplanes. Agree with everything else you said regarding the fairly stringent medical oversight (on all private pilots over 40, by the way) and the fact that things like this can unfortunately still happen.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 13:25:36 »

I didn't know what I was doing...and at one point it stalled and that terrified me."

Hell's teeth, he recovered from a stall?

FTR (Fitness To Run), I knew what I was doing when I first stalled an aircraft, and it still terrified me. In the right conditions, it's good fun.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 22:39:13 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 19:54:22 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), a video report:

Emergency plane landing 'hero' meets instructors

In October 2013, John Wildey was forced to land a light aircraft at Humberside Airport after the pilot fell ill at the controls.

The 78-year-old had no previous flying lessons and relied on the instructions given to him by air traffic controllers and a helicopter which helped guide him to safety.

Now Mr Wildey has met the helicopter pilot for the first time.

Dan Johnson reports.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: