14:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
15:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:23:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[93] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[40] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[7] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greyhound Service - Wales to Bristol Airport  (Read 8281 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:39:54 »

I've had a look on the Greyhound UK (United Kingdom) Website for the services that run to Bristol Airport from UWE and South Wales.

The website although laid out fairly cleanly is lacking a huge piece of information... How much do I pay for a Walk up fare. The site say they are subject to availability but can be purchased from drivers.

Whilst the interactive fare finder shows the times... Could I find a PDF or other electronic Timetable? No! Angry

I've yet to try this service out. But the fact that so little information is available it does immediately seem off putting. I've sent over the following e-mail for anyone's perusal if they're interested Smiley

Quote from: E-Mail to Greyhound UK (United Kingdom) R.E. South Wales - Bristol Airport Coach Service
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been looking at the possibility of using the Greyhound Service from Bristol Airport, however I am disappointed to see that the Information I require does not appear to be on your website.

In particular, you mention that passengers may purchase a ticket from the driver of the Coach if there is space available. However I cannot find any information as to these walkup fares. Whilst the website does say ^From ^ this suggests that a Walkup Fare could be more?

I have found in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section a small part on Concessionary Fares for Welsh Pass Holders entitled to a 50% Discount on the walkup price. The information explained in this section makes no reference to ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) (England Passes) for a journey such as UWE - Bristol Airport, which you could cover ordinarily with a ZERO FARE on the No. 70 and A1 Services retrospectively, which are operated by First Bus.

Also with regards to Welsh and English passes NOT being valid for travel in their ^opposing^ Country, I am also unclear as to your exact definition of this.

For example, earlier this year I took a Bus from Chester to Wrexham and returned a few days later; using my ENCTS Disabled Pass. Despite one town being in Wales and the other in England, the pass was accepted without question for both journeys (Also have made this journey in previous years without issue).

Incidentally my pass was refused on a local Wrexham bus service as it was the England Version (Which I expected to be the case). So in relation to that, whilst I can perfectly understand and accept that a journey say Newport - Cardiff would not be accepted for discount with the England Pass. This doesn^t seem in my view to be very clear on the issue of crossing the border where in my personal experience, has been accepted as valid.

Finally, Whilst the booking engine is very informative as to the pricing and times of services, is there a PDF document showing the timings of your services, much like the timetable in existence on the A1 & A2 services.

So. In relation to my points above, I would be very grateful if you could confirm the following for me please:

- The prices for Walkup Fares on routes from/to Bristol Airport
- The position of the validity on ENCTS Passes for travel in England ONLY and Cross Border journeys.
- If ENCTS Passes are accepted onboard for journeys from Bristol Airport (Say Bristol Airport - UWE) are there any fares that would need to be paid for travel; if so, what are the prices please.
- If there is a hard copy Timetable or PDF/Electronic format

Thank you for taking the time to read this e-mail. I shall look forward to your reply.

Yours Sincerely,

thetrout

Grin Grin Grin Grin
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 13:23:13 »

Timetable for the greyhound service is available on first cymru's website.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_west_wales/journey_planning/timetables/index.php?operator=24&page=9&redirect=no

Bus passes are not accepted for use between Cardiff & Bristol I believe and only give a discounted fare on journeys between Cardiff and Swansea.

The service is being re-timed from 9th June 2013 as the existing timings are too tight  on weekdays so services do seem to struggle to keep time.

A copy of the weekday time which comes into effect from 9th June has been attached.

I have spotted the late night service from Cardiff to Swansea  at 00:30 which might be useful to some workers who are working very late wanting to travel back to Swansea.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:19:27 »

Well I had a reply from Greyhound over the weekend as follows:

Quote from: First Greyhound UK (United Kingdom) (United Kingdom) Customer Service Department
Dear Mr. trout,

Thank you for contacting Greyhound UK.

To answer the questions listed below:

- The walk-up fare from/to Bristol Airport to Bristol is ^4.00, Newport ^7.00, Cardiff ^10.00, Swansea ^15.00 (These are all returns)

- ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) are not accepted on the Greyhound route as the service doesn't qualify for funding off the government as its a charted coach service not a local bus service

- Concessionary fares are available for services between Cardiff and Swansea for passengers who have an Wales concessionary pass (there is slight support from the Welsh government that allows us to offer a slight reduction on fares)

- Please see attached for a copy of our current timetable, however, this will be changing on 9 June to improve reliability of the service as we have had timing issues on the current timetable. Both copies have been attached for you. The new timetable is the attachment  named "091613 SSBA....)

If I haven't answered any of your questions or if you would like more information, then please do get back in touch.

Kind Regards,

That pretty much sums up what you said Anthony215 Wink However, at least I know the on the day pricing now Smiley

I'm particularly interested to note that the Greyhound - Bristol Airport - Bristol Centre and UWE the fare is ^4 Return. Yet the A1 and A2 Services are ^7.00

If I didn't have a bus pass, I would probably wait for a Greyhound. More comfortable seats, Air Conditioning, Toilet and the saving of ^3 Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 14:11:26 »

- ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) are not accepted on the Greyhound route as the service doesn't qualify for funding off the government as its a charted coach service not a local bus service

I like the idea of a 'charted' coach service - presumably it needs charts for the tricky Severn navigation?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 18:20:03 »

Pedant alert  Roll Eyes :

... the service doesn't qualify for funding off the government ...

... passengers who have an Wales concessionary pass ...

Whatever happened to the correct use of the Queen's English in the Principality?  Tongue Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 01:06:16 »

I like the idea of a 'charted' coach service - presumably it needs charts for the tricky Severn navigation?

I have CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about) approved charts for both Southern England and Wales, and Northern England and Scotland. Might help as it's an airport bus.

Pedant alert  Roll Eyes :

Whatever happened to the correct use of the Queen's English in the Principality?  Tongue Shocked Grin

Dydw i ddim yn gwybod, Chris bach.

Pedwar Trac, yn Awr!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:16:24 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: