22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:26:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[144] access for all at Devon stations report
[62] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[7] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: which units are being spruced up for this?  (Read 9871 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: May 05, 2013, 18:52:44 »

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/UPDATED-Queen-visit-St-Ives-St-Michael-s-Mount/story-18882041-detail/story.html#axzz2SRRxmtZ0

The Queen and Prince Philip are to visit St Ives and St Michael's Mount later this month.

The Royal visit will include a walk along St Ives seafront to the RNLI lifeboat station and the Tate gallery.

The party will then travel by car to Marazion and the iconic island in Mount's Bay where they will make shoe prints in soft casts on arrival.

The Queen and Prince Philip were last in west Cornwall two years ago when they visited Penzance and the Isles of Scilly in glorious sunshine.

However, this will be the Royal couple's first visit to St Ives.

A notice sent out by Buckingham Palace today stated that the Royal visitors would arrive at Erth station on Friday, May 17, where they will transfer to a scheduled train to St Ives.

They will be met at St Ives station by lifeboat crews and will unveil a plaque to mark their visit.

They will then proceed to Tate St Ives where they will tour the building, meeting architects, staff and artists.

They will then head to Marazion where they will take the amphibious boat to St Michael's Mount and walk to the castle to take lunch as guests of the St Aubyn family.

After lunch, they will tour the castle and chapel and meet families that live on the Mount before leaving the island and departing from Cornwall.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 19:04:42 »

Given there are no additional services booked that day, I assume members of the public will be permitted to travel on the same train?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 19:09:25 »

That was my thought as well, unless we are going to see an odd cancelled service?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 19:20:40 »

On return trip cancelled on the branch today because of a lineside fire!
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 20:06:55 »

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have both travelled before on ordinary scheduled trains before alongside members of the public.

I've never been to St Ives, but I dare say that the locals aren't any more dangerous to their security than those they've shared trains with in the South East!
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 20:08:58 »

The Queen has taken service trains from London-Cambridge from time to time, although she is normally in First Class, she won't have that luxury on the St Ives branch.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 20:10:03 »

Posting personally, I would like to see the manager of the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership there to greet HM and HRH on that train.  Wink

HM = Her Majesty
HRH = His Royal Highness

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 20:26:48 »

Well they could form up a special set at Long Rock depot Grin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/treflyn/7826667794/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 20:34:33 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 20:28:09 »

Good one!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 20:38:37 »

Posting personally, I would like to see the manager of the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership there to greet HM and HRH on that train.  Wink

HM = Her Majesty
HRH = His Royal Highness

Glad to see you confirming those abbreviations, Chris. One of the many howlers of the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s grossly inept coverage of the Jubilee flotilla last year was the commentator referring to Her Majesty as Her Royal Highness.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 20:52:12 »

Isn't there a loco or two and some rather nice 1st class carriages at Penzance during the day?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 20:56:36 »

Problem is you'd need two locos - and that assumes 57s are cleared for the branch.....
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 21:12:30 »

I believe the St Ives branch is being ran by two Class 150s at the moment, so it's possible that one will be reserved for the royal party and the other for normal passengers.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 21:19:17 »

Let's hope Brenda looks a bit more cheerful in a Class 150 than she did in a 365:

That said, her and Steve Davis won't have the option of travelling 1st Class on the St Ives branch.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 21:43:32 »

Hmm.  I thought we'd agreed that was Fred Goodwin, looking rather grumpy after his knighthood had been pulled from under him, so to speak?  Roll Eyes

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: