22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:40 Reading to London Paddington
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 23:23:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First to raise money through rights issue??  (Read 11707 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 18, 2013, 17:41:56 »

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/firstgroup-plots-route-500m-rights-issue-203138369.html#9JqF2zU

The company behind Greyhound buses and the First Capital Connect rail franchise is poised to tap shareholders for ^500m in new funds months after it lost out in the fiasco over the West Coast mainline.

I have learnt that FirstGroup is poised to announce as early as next week that it is planning to raise fresh capital through a rights issue to cut its roughly ^2bn of debts. ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 19:53:40 »

Big pension pot problem too.....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 21:36:13 »

Further details on this story -

From The Telegraph:

FirstGroup chairman Martin Gilbert set to resign amid ^600m rights issue

The long-serving chairman of the FirstGroup transport business, Martin Gilbert, is set to resign next week and the company launch a ^600m rights issue.

FirstGroup, which operates the First Great Western rail franchise, will raise the money to pay down its ^2bn debt pile, mainly incurred when it bought the US school bus operator Laidlaw.

FirstGroup^s revenues have also been affected by the Government^s decision to abandon the rail franchising process following the West Coast rail bidding fiasco.

FirstGroup is also expected to slash its dividend in half at its results next week to ease concerns over its balance sheet.

Mr Gilbert will step down from his post, which he has held since 1995. He is also a director of BSkyB and chief executive of Aberdeen Asset Management.

Analysts have long questioned whether FirstGroup would need a rights issue amid fears of a cut in its credit rating by Standard & Poor^s.

Concerns have been growing over the business since the autumn, when it was denied a major new source of income after the Government scrapped a lucrative 13-year contract to run West Coast rail services from December.

The company also issued a profit warning last year amid problems at its UK (United Kingdom) bus operations, which have been affected by a cut in Government subsidies and were heavily reliant on areas in the north of England and Scotland, which were hit harder by the recession.

FirstGroup^s chief executive, Tim O^Toole, and new group finance director, Chris Surch, have been forced to reassure the City that the company is not about to breach its banking covenants.

Analysts at Liberum Capital are forecasting a 50pc cut in the final dividend.

At the company^s pre-close trading update last month, Mr Surch sought to alleviate fears, telling analysts that the company had more than ^1bn of liquidity and ^plenty of headroom on our covenants^.

However, the company, which held its interim dividend in the wake of the West Coast rail debacle, fuelled speculation that it would take an axe to the full-year pay-out by stating that it would ^consider the full-year dividend^ this month.

The company has raised ^100m through the disposal of bus assets - including almost all of its operations in London - but analysts warn it will be hit in its next year financial year by the adoption of the latest IAS 19 accounting standard, which will force it provide detailed guidance on employee benefits such as pensions.

From The Scotsman:

Gilbert to step down at FirstGroup

Martin Gilbert is expected to announce his retirement as chairman of transport operator FirstGroup this week when the company might also unveil plans to raise up to ^600 million and a sharp cut in its dividend.

John Lawson, an analyst at Investec Securities, said: ^This could be quite a crucial day for shareholders.^

Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan are believed to be working on a big fund raising to help pay down a ^2 billion debt pile.

The company held its interim dividend and there is talk of the final payout being similarly held or even halved.

Lawson added that the bus and train company was a ^difficult stock to call at present^.

FirstGroup is Britain^s biggest bus operator with around 8,000 vehicles in 40 locations across the UK, carrying 2.5 million passengers a day.

The economic downturn has weighed heavily on its fortunes, particularly in the north of England and Scotland, while higher fuel costs and lower UK government subsidies have had an impact.

The company also operates around a quarter of Britain^s rail lines through franchises such as First Great Western and First ScotRail, while it operates 70,000 school and transit buses in North America.

Its rail future was plunged into uncertainty after its appointment to take over the west coast franchise was cancelled due to a flawed bidding process.

Pre-tax profits at FirstGroup, which last year announced a ^160 million investment in buying buses, are expected to be well down on last year^s ^271.4m, with Investec forecasting ^170m, despite a predicted rise in revenues. Revenues on its buses rose by 2.4 per cent in its final quarter to 31 March, up from third quarter growth of 2.1 per cent.

It also revealed the sale of eight bus depots in London for ^80m, part of plans to offset tough conditions and build ^sustainable^ passenger and revenue growth. However, the company said fourth quarter UK rail revenues were up only 5.9 per cent, a slowdown on the 8.1 per cent underlying growth in its third quarter.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 21:50:37 »

No surprise then that we've had no announcement on the Greater Western management contract from October 2013.

First Group after as big a return as possible, and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) wondering whether First Group are solvent enough?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 22:05:26 »

Could explain why DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) are keen to put EC back in the private sector before the next election. Wouldn't do to have two of the biggest InterCity franchises in the public sector come the election now would it?

For a govt desperate to avoid any more cock-ups in the rail franchising arena, I would imagine they would be anxious to be certain about the financial stability of First Group before giving them the management contract. After all, the EC franchise problems started when GNER (Great North Eastern Railways)'s parent, Sea Containers found itself in a little financial difficulty. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 22:21:26 »

Hmm. Market value quoted in the article is ^1 billion. They now want a rights issue to raise ^500 million (^600m accordng to the Telegraph), or half the current book value of the company, to help reduce debts of ^2 billion, or double the book value of the company. The UK (United Kingdom) bus profit margin has fallen to "only" 8%, a figure the big supermarket chains can only dream of. The Chairman is about to stand aside, as soon as a new figurehead can be appointed. Now, when it comes to commercial finance, I admit that I am no Robert Maxwell. But the picture painted is not a rosy one, and I shall not be dipping my hand to my pocket to invest just now. It will be interesting to see what the Sporting Pink has to say about all this come results day. It all sounds a bit like "Give me a tenner, and I'll pay you part of the fifty quid I owe you". The Telegraph reports that the rights issue comes amid fears of a cut in First's credit rating by Standard and Poor's, presumably to sub-standard and p*ss-Poor. If that isn't just a bit of journalistic speculation, it could have an effect on interest rates charged on that debt.

With all due respect to Martin Gilbert and Tim O'Toole, First doesn't have any one person with such a high profile as to be a household name on a par with Richard Branson, Stelios Haji-Ioanou, or the Suter-Gloag siblings. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know. First have suffered in the UK because of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) debacle, as well as the recession hitting their core bus areas, just as government subsidies have been cut. In their favour is that bus and rail routes cannot be provided by Amazon, but that shouldn't lead to complacency.

I'm beginning to think that we may just be all in this together. Us, the bankers, and the millionaires in the Cabinet.

Now, please!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:34 »

Shares currently down 48.8p to 175.00p... ouch!

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 19:58:18 »

Ended the day at 155p, a cool 30% down on the day, with no final dividend or interim dividend next year. That's certainly not a good place to be in. Will be interesting to see how the market responds to the rights issue. Throwing good money after bad is a phrase that comes to mind.

Milky Bar Kid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 22:32:02 »

All areas of the business are profit making albeit small at the moment, anyone suggesting insolvency or dft waiting etc is nuts, the company can service its debt and intends to spend ^1.5 billion across all areas of the business over the next four years, i some how think the First group haters are hoping their demise is near but i think not.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 22:50:18 »

Ended the day at 155p, a cool 30% down on the day, with no final dividend or interim dividend next year. That's certainly not a good place to be in. Will be interesting to see how the market responds to the rights issue. Throwing good money after bad is a phrase that comes to mind.

If they drop much further, I may phone a stockbroker. Or Ladbrokes. Either way, it may be worth a punt.

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 22:51:59 »

Pre tax profit down by 87%. Debt increased to ^2Bn, which in the words of First Group themselves is at a level that puts their investment grade credit rating in jeopardy.  ^80m of bus disposals last month.  Profits of under ^40m, but intend to invest ^1.6Bn in the next five years, yet only raising ^600m which is to reduce their debt to more manageable levels. So where does the ^1.6Bn come from? I also wonder how much of their investment is actually replacement of assets (typically buses).

I'm not suggesting they are about to go bust, but I could understand if DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) would be just a little cautious at the moment. Though I'll probably be proved wrong any day now with the announcement of a management contract.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 00:13:55 »

All areas of the business are profit making albeit small at the moment, anyone suggesting insolvency or dft waiting etc is nuts, the company can service its debt and intends to spend ^1.5 billion across all areas of the business over the next four years, i some how think the First group haters are hoping their demise is near but i think not.

I don't think it's a case of 'First Group haters'. At least not in this thread. I was very careful to make the second part of my earlier post a question rather than a statement.

Just some serious questioning of the financial position the company finds themselves in. The award of the management contract for the Greater Western franchise would certainly go some way to steadying the ship.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:43 »

I certainly think that DfT» (Department for Transport - about) now holds the upper hand in negotiations - FirstGroup can't afford NOT to win both the management contract or the refranchise contract - so the DfT can ask for more....

If the market reacts like that to the rights issue, can you imagine the reaction to losing the refranchise?....
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 18:20:56 »

I certainly think that DfT» (Department for Transport - about) now holds the upper hand in negotiations - FirstGroup can't afford NOT to win both the management contract or the refranchise contract - so the DfT can ask for more....

If the market reacts like that to the rights issue, can you imagine the reaction to losing the refranchise?....

That last thought would send shivers down many spines, and not just in the boardroom at FGW (First Great Western). I'm not as sure about the first bit, though. Losing the Great Western franchise would be a huge blow to both finance and prestige. Not winning the WCML (West Coast Main Line) gig would probably not be disastrous, as the actual loss is "only" the cost of the franchise tender.

All is not well on another level. On a great many of the services to and from London, you would need a crowbar to get more passengers on. The railway has never been so busy, and fare levels are a constant source of disgruntlement amongst passengers. So if costs are fixed, and revenue is as high as it can be with the available kit, are we to believe that weather problems have taken such a huge toll on FGW? If so, all the other TOCs (Train Operating Company) will be in the same boat. I don't think they are, though.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 20:21:42 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 20:08:00 »

That last though would send shivers down many spines, and not just in the boardroom at FGW (First Great Western). I'm not as sure about the first bit, though. Losing the Great Western franchise would be a huge blow to both finance and prestige. Not winning the WCML (West Coast Main Line) gig would probably not be disastrous, as the actual loss is "only" the cost of the franchise tender.

All is not well on another level. On a great many of the services to and from London, you would need a crowbar to get more passengers on. The railway has never been so busy, and fare levels are a constant source of disgruntlement amongst passengers. So if costs are fixed, and revenue is as high as it can be with the available kit, are we to believe that weather problems have taken such a huge toll on FGW? If so, all the other TOCs (Train Operating Company) will be in the same boat. I don't think they are, though.

While the franchise uncertainty has not helped, the issue is not rail...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10069610/FirstGroup-has-been-haunted-by-a-deal-agreed-in-2007.html

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: