Delayed
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 17:41:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[31] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[5] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare and route suggestions?  (Read 6786 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 20, 2013, 16:24:35 »

Melksham to London - as early as possible on 28th May
London to Manchester - around 6 p.m. on 28th May
Manchester to as near to Melksham as possible - around 6 p.m. on 31st May

Don't mind taking something a bit slower to Manchester or back to Melksham area (Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge of Chippenham). I need to be in London by 09:00 on 28th, though!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:19 »

OK ... I'm guessing there was nothing really clever to be suggested for this one.  I've booked out from Trowbridge and back to Chippenham for 143.00 with flexible tickets and no splits that mean I have to be careful to catch a train stopping at "X", and no "London Midland Only" tickets so I can do the London / Manchester in a shade over 2 hours.  Please don't tell me if I've been "done"  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 19:20:43 »

I didn't see this one grahame... But if you're planning to catch the 17:30 from Manchester Piccadilly to Bristol Temple Meads... I could say you haven't been done... But I'd be lying... Lips sealed Undecided Roll Eyes

You may recall my thread on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s rather insidious Advance Fares Structure where I saved my Dads employer half the price of a 1 First Class Advance through ticket for the same train but with 4 separate tickets!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:50:03 »

I didn't see this one grahame... But if you're planning to catch the 17:30 from Manchester Piccadilly to Bristol Temple Meads... I could say you haven't been done... But I'd be lying... Lips sealed Undecided Roll Eyes

And in turn I missed your follow up ...

Trowbridge to London via Warminster and Salisbury - anytime Day single - 37 pounds or so
London to Manchester offpeak return - around 77 pounds (just a pound more than a single)
London to Chippenham - superoffpeak single - 28 pounds or so

Gives me flexibiity; I was in London until the early evening yesterday, and I won't be leaving Manchester until quite late on Friday.   Glad I didn't use LM (London Midland - recent franchise) splits - their service was in chaos yesterday, and the 20 pounds or so saved on the return trip London - Manchester would have been far more hassle than it was worth. 

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:59:34 »

..and just as well you were not relying on the northbound Melksham service this morning.  Left Westbury 27 minutes late because of a problem with units.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:33:17 »

Off Peak Return, London to Manchester, 77.30 ... return validity on Friday afternoon - ANY train - right? (evening restrictions are only northboound?)   I may be away earlier than planned - I think I'm OK to get any service but just asking the experts to make sure.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:41:53 »

Looking at www.brfares.com it appears your ticket has the restriction 9I - which for return journeys means it is valid:-

ARRIVE: LONDON EUSTON
Before 0720 or at or after

So I would say "go for it".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:05:57 »

Looking at www.brfares.com it appears your ticket has the restriction 9I - which for return journeys means it is valid:-

ARRIVE: LONDON EUSTON
Before 0720 or at or after

So I would say "go for it".

Thanks, Bob ... forgot that site ... been a busy morning.   Looks like good (if slightly surprising) news for me.  No need to wait for 19:00!

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 13:56:42 »

Thanks from me too, bobm.  I have never heard of this site and now all the postings elsewhere about codes begin to make sense and I shall be checking this in future each time I need to travel a complicated route or at a peak time. Once again the forum educates.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 14:01:47 by trainer » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: