Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:51 Paignton to Exmouth
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:02:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: First bus changes from 28th July along TransWilts corridor  (Read 49561 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:34 »

Thanks for that Scott; and I hope you have recovered Smiley Wink

Could you just clarify for me that this is indeed the correct new timetable for the 267. It seems to contradict Lee's comments and from what I can see, is almost (if not) identical to the current service in operation?!?!

Or am I missing something...? Huh Shocked

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?source_id=3&service=267&routeid=2107321&operator=3&op_id=3&from_timetable1=1&day=1

I'll follow up in more detail later on. Am shattered and don't feel too good myself! Sad

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 09:51:54 »

Welcome back Scott, and thanks for your insight.

the trout - For reasons best known to themselves, First have re-issued a whole raft of current timetables and posted them in the "Forthcoming Timetables" section of their website. This includes some of the routes that are due to be withdrawn, which I fear will give false hope to some.

In practice, they will be valid for one week only, from the 21st July through to the actual main timetable change date of 28th July, when the timetables quoted elsewhere by members such as grahame, Scott and myself will take effect.

First have stated publicly that many of their actual new timetables will be available on their website from the 12th July, and in printed form from the 19th July.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 11:28:02 »

Add to this the fact that the new daytime 272 is timed to leave the centre of Melksham a few minutes earlier than the Melksham Metro 14 service for the journey round Melksham Forest, and a cynic could be forgiven for thinking that a pattern may be emerging here...

Is it a possibility that the 14 could be reduced to hourly as follows? (mins past each hour):

Market Place 01

Sainsburys 03

Asda 12

Addison Road 16

Asda 35

Sainsburys 40

Melksham Forest Chapel 48

Queensway 54

Hospital 00

Market Place 01

This would dovetail with the 272 route to provide a near-even half-hourly service (07 & 40 mins past each hour) from the centre of Melksham round the Forest area. On a positive note, this would open the door for grahame's idea:

f) With First going though The Forest every hour, I hope that it's syncronised with the town bus (route 14) also going through The Forest. Currently that happens every 30 minutes. I can envisage 14 becoming hourly, 272 being the other half hour (the capacity will be there on the bus), and released resource on 14 allowing for a new service 15 to run an outer loop via the new housing ... just waiting for bus stops to be put in by developers, I understand.  Should have been last month ...

Finally, I note that First have been trialling Optare Midibuses on the 272, perhaps in anticipation of speed humps and parking issues along the Melksham Forest section of route.

I have received reliable source information that there are no proposals to reduce the frequency of service 14 as this service loads well and is partially funded by Asda. Also, having to travel via Bowerhill would be very unpopular with its existing passengers.

In addition to this, capacity in the system is considered to exist to run a new hourly service 15 to the Melksham East development when the bus stop hardstandings have been completed, and this service will definitely be introduced at some point during September.

This really does look like excellent news for Melksham Forest bus users. Not only do those in areas such as Methuen & Savernake Avenues retain their half-hourly town links, but those on the "main" Forest route get an extra bus an hour, new links with Bath & Bowerhill, more consistent evening services, and Sunday services too.

It is a shame that there is the resultant impact on services in grahame's part of Melksham, but I believe (please do correct me if I'm wrong) that he is in favour of a compromise that guarantees the introduction of service 15.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Scott

First S&A Expert

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 14:12:37 »

Could you just clarify for me that this is indeed the correct new timetable for the 267. It seems to contradict Lee's comments and from what I can see, is almost (if not) identical to the current service in operation?!?!

What Lee said - the forthcoming timetables are exactly as shown in the current list. This is most obvious in Taunton, which is receiving a new town network with routes numbered 1 to 7 (see here).

The 267 timetable will be roughly the following (selected Timing Points only):

Code:
Bath     15        Frome JS 00
Midford  28        Frome MP (Member of Parliament) 13
Rode     45        Rode     33
Frome MP 06        Midford  50
Frome JS 19        Bath     04

The Sunday service is also changing (when did that last happen ?) but will still see four full-length journeys a day.

Click here for advice on bus travel or here for bus terminology.

N.B.: I am not (yet) an official employee of First Group.
Scott

First S&A Expert

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 14:47:34 »

With regards to Traveline, I must insist that those who use the 231/232 ignore the new timetable until further notice. It is so inaccurate that I was tempted to burn the paper copy I was given! In short, the weekday and Saturday services into Bath are the wrong way round, roughly 100 individual timings are incorrect, and the Sunday and Public Holiday service is missing completely.

I will notify you all when this has been rectified.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 15:42:19 »

However, you can still rely on the official forthcoming 231 timetable posted here by grahame.

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 19:23:26 »

Thank you Gentlemen. I stumbled across the new July 28th Timetable which I have had since the beginning of July but never moved it out of my Downloads folder...!

Indeed I agree with your rough timings Scott for the 267. The Sunday services you mention are also changing like you said. But the timing difference seems to be running 5 minutes earlier than previously.

I think changing those last evening services from Bath which are currently: 19:15, 21:15 and 23:15 to: 19:30 (Good), 21:10 (Bad) and 23:10 (Very Bad) are going to go down like a lead balloon on a Friday and Saturday night.

Considering that we seem to have a 2 hourly clock face service which on the face of it, is a very reliable service. Then throw in an amended timetable for a week, then change it again. I can see that people might get confused by two timetable changes in very short succession. I can see that creating some confusion. The silver lining is the 23:38 Train to Frome will still be an option if you are unaware the times change to 5 minutes earlier and get caught out! However not so much if you want Rode or Beckington.

My personal view would be that changing the times to: 19:30, 21:30 and 23:30 would be a very good decision as it might catch people out less and keeps the clock-face timetable.

I am grateful however that the timings are consistent across Monday - Saturday for the evening services.

Unlike the railway, where Monday - Friday the Frome train is at 23:38 (2C36) and on a Saturday 23:29 (2C38). That does catch people out! I myself got lumbered with a ^30 Taxi Fare as it has caught me out in the past. It's a mistake you'll only make once Embarrassed Lips sealed Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 13:30:38 »

From the Frome Times this morning, edition 383 - 18/07/2013. Sorry for the poor quality. I'll link the article if it is uploaded to the Newspapers website.

Looks like my comments about the Doctors Surgery bus service aren't just my own views...

Grin Grin Grin Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 14:33:33 »

Frome have no fuelling or maintenance facilities to my knowledge.

In part that is true. First do have an account however at Portway Service Station (Texaco garage near the railway station) where I have seen the 30 regularly refuel in the morning. Whether other buses use it in the day I know not. I believe I saw a 234 there not all that long ago.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 14:39:56 »

Do we know what changes First were considering making to the route of the 267 service in order to meet the needs of the health park, and why these don't appear to have been taken forward?

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 15:31:06 »

I'm not sure on this one Lee to be honest. I would suspect that the 267 would deviate like this.

Point A is the route the Bus follows from the town centre (Market Place) and point B is the route the bus currently follows towards Brunel Way and Stonebridge.

Looking at the deviation I've shown on the Map via the Hospital, It's not unmanageable in terms of adding the hospital to the route. However that means that the bus would need to visit the Berkley Road traffic lights twice. That would slow it down. Alot.

Edit: Forgot to add the map link Embarrassed Example 267 Amended Bus Route

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 15:43:29 »

How many minutes would the 267 deviation via the health park add to the journey time, in your opinion, thetrout?

Scott

First S&A Expert

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 20:09:47 »

Not the best claim, if I'm honest. I have heard nothing to suggest that this was ever considered a possibility, but even if I'm wrong and it was looked into the article still shows that the Health Park dont understand their service at all. There is no case for an hourly 11 any more as we have discussed - and the 162 doesn't even run any more.

A more sensible option would be to divert the 30, since it serves the largest portion of the town - but that would be marginal on time.

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 23:53:44 »

How many minutes would the 267 deviation via the health park add to the journey time, in your opinion, thetrout?

My opinion, assuming normal traffic levels in Frome, I would say no more than 5 minutes. This includes time to pickup/set down passengers.

From Market Place in Frome - Bath Bus Station you could easily do the journey in an hour. The current running time is about 50 - 55 minutes. Normally fairly punctual and reliable. I do confess however, I normally always use Faresaver on the up journeys in the late afternoon/evening as they are quicker and seem to connect into trains better. Take the 17:21 for example, that would allow me to connect into the 18:24 from Bath Spa - Bristol Temple Meads, purchase a cup of coffee and of course, a ticket Wink

Scott I cannot disagree with you about the journalism from the Frome Times. It's not the first time they've got things like this wrong. Some of the articles about the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification over the past year are very biased towards the unimportance of electrification beyond Newbury. That's a different conversation however. You are right about the 162 not running anymore and it hasn't done for quite some time. There was an open discussion about this issue on the infamous "Spotted in Frome" Facebook page today where I mentioned exactly this and corrected someone who said the 30 service had been cut. It will be completely withdrawn on Saturdays.

To the defence of the article in the paper, my comment, slightly in jest about an OAP riot does not seem that far from the truth now. Whilst I can see the reason for this withdrawal is high ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) usage, isn't this the point to show the service is well used?

I cannot disagree the operator isn't losing money. I cannot disagree that Somerset County Council have slashed the bus subsidies. But surely someone can see this service is needed by people who actually do not have their own transport.

It really is a rock and a hard place. There is little point in having a Disabled ENCTS Pass and Disabled Railcard if you don't have the buses and trains to use it on.

I'm very sorry, but I'm going to cover very repetitive ground here. But I will never be able to drive my own vehicle. I did not choose to have multiple disabilities. I am attempting to run a business which as each month goes on becomes harder and harder. I am fully entitled to ESA if I wanted to stop working tomorrow. I want to work, but if more things to 'help' me achieve that are removed then what chance do I or anyone else have.

I had a meeting in the Job Centre last year about a Disabled Employment grant. They would not issue me a grant to use Public Transport or Taxi Travel on the basis to carry "Tools of the trade" despite some of them could very, very easily get me arrested if a Police Officer wanted to be rather awkward. I may be slightly elidgeble on the grounds of public transport not going to the locations I needed to, but I would be elidgeble for support visiting these areas only.

I'll finish this post another time. 2C36 is about to arrive in Frome... Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2013, 09:50:20 »

A lengthy explanation by First of upcoming bus service changes:

Quote from: First Bus
Service changes affecting bus services in and around Wiltshire and Wells, from 28 July

A number of changes are being made affecting bus services in Wiltshire and in Wells, Somerset from Sunday 28 July, as First alters the local network. The changes affect the following services: 30, 161, 173, 174, 184, 231/232, 234, 235, 236, 260, 263, 264/265, 267 and 271/272.

Talking about the changes, Simon Ford, commercial manager, First, says: "The changes affect a number of services that travel in and around Bath, Wiltshire and Wells and we would urge people who use these local services to familiarise themselves with them. In some places frequencies are being improved, while elsewhere resources are being matched more closely with the level of demand for services. In a couple of cases services are being withdrawn because they are poorly used or no longer commercially sustainable. There are some big improvements though, including the creation of a new direct service from Bath to Salisbury, which we expect to be popular with those people who want to visit the Cathedral city in Wiltshire.

"All of the changes take effect from 28 July. Customers are strongly advised to check the new timetables carefully before travelling so that they understand the full impact of what is happening. They are already available online (as downloadable pdf documents) and will be available in hard copy format from our Travel Shops from 22 July."

Specific changes in affecting services in Wiltshire and Wells, from 28 July

Frome Service 30 (Feltham Drive - Feltham Drive via Market Place, Clink, Market Place): The timetable for this service is changing from 28 July. Specifically while the Monday - Friday journeys will continue largely as they are, all journeys on Saturdays are being withdrawn. This change is being made to ensure that the Monday to Friday service, which is considered important as it provides much needed connections to local medical facilities as well as the town centre, remains commercially sustainable in the long run. At present the service costs First more to operate than is taken in revenue on the bus, so this change is necessary to re-balance things. It is worth noting those that another operator has registered a service which will act as a partial replacement for the Saturday journeys that are being lost. People who use buses on Saturdays are advised to contact the local council for more information about the alternative service.

Service 161 (Wells - Frome): A number of changes are being made to the timetable of this service. Specifically while the number and frequency of buses between Wells and Shepton Mallet will remain broadly the same, the frequency of buses between Shepton Mallet and Frome is being reduced to one bus every two hours (from hourly) from 28 July. The extended journeys to and from Frome will all be financially supported by Somerset County Council. As a company we understand that Somerset County Council has made some alternative provision for those people wishing to travel between Frome and Shepton Mallet at other times - customers seeking this information are advised to contact the Council's public transport team directly.

Service 173 (Bath - Wells): The timetable of this service is being altered with a number of improvements made. Specifically efforts have been made to spread out the number of Service 173 departures - along with those of Services 178 and 184 - to ensure that buses customers have access to a more even spread of bus services.

In addition to this the early morning Monday - Friday timetable is being altered to provide earlier first journeys in both directions between Wells and Bath, while the evening Monday to Saturday timetable is also being changed to provide a later last journey in both directions.

On Saturdays some additional journeys are being added into the timetable, but one existing journey, the 0750 departure from Midsomer Norton to Bath, is being withdrawn.

And finally, on Sundays and Public Holidays the timetable is being amended to enable people to spend a longer day out in Bath. Specifically, there will be an additional first journey from Wells to Bath at 0816 hours, while the last journey from Bath to Wells will be at 1835 hours.

Customers are advised to check the new timetable to familiarise themselves with these changes.

Service 174 (Wells Bus Station - Churchill Road): This service, which provides a limited number of journeys each day between Churchill Road and the city centre, is being withdrawn from 28 July. The change is being made because while the service is well used by concessionary pass holders the costs of running the bus now outweigh the amount taken on board it - meaning it can no longer be sustained financially. First regrets the need to withdraw the service however it is necessary to ensure the long term future of other local services. Customers who currently use Service 174 are advised that Service 173 will provide alternatives for those wishing to travel to points along The Liberty, St Thomas Street and parts of Bath Road.

Service 184 (Bath - Frome): To ensure that buses are more evenly spaced between Bath and Midsomer Norton, the timetable of Service 184 is being changed slightly - along with that of Services 173 and 178.

In addition, the timetable for Monday to Saturday morning journeys from Frome to Bath are being altered. From 28 July buses will run hourly, whereas at present there can be gaps of up to two hours in the service.

Finally, the timetable for journeys from Frome is being amended. From the end of July most buses will leave Frome about 20 minutes later than they currently do. This means that there will be a later last journey, leaving Frome at 1735 hours (Monday - Saturday).

Service 234 (Frome - Chippenham): The timetable of Service 234 timetable is being changed slightly to simplify it, create some additional journey opportunities and improve the overall punctuality and reliability of it. Specifically some short journeys are being merged to provide longer ones, meaning that customers will be able to travel from Frome to Chippenham more easily, without needing to change buses. Elsewhere the timetable for evening journeys is being altered slightly, but journeys will still be provided (at a similar frequency as now) with support Wiltshire Council.

In addition to the timetable changes, the route that Service 234 buses take in Frome is changing slightly with all of them set to start and terminate at Frome Sainsburys rather than the railway station from 28 July. This is because the extension to the railway station, which has been in place for around 12 months, has been poorly used to date.

Service 235 (Melksham - Studley Green): This service, which provides one morning and one evening journey between Melksham / Bowerhill and Trowbridge will be withdrawn from 28 July however alternative journeys will be provided by the revised Service 236 (see details below). Customers are advised to get a copy of the new Service 236 timetable so they understand what their alternatives are.

Service 236 (Paxcroft Mead - Studley Green): A number of changes are being made to the timetable of Service 236. Firstly, a number of extra journeys are being added into the Monday - Friday timetable of Service 236 to compensate for the loss of Service 235. These will leave Melksham at 0739 hours and Paxcroft Mead, Leap Gate at 1641 and 1711 hours. On Saturdays the timetable will also be simplified with all buses following the standard Service 236 route. A later last journey will run on these days, at 1711 from Paxcroft Mead, Leap Gate. One Monday to Friday journey, which runs from Trowbridge, Fore Street to the Canal Road Industrial Estate, is being removed from the timetable due to low customer use.

Across the week other minor changes are being made to the timetable, so while the current 30-minute frequency remains the same, there will be small changes to departure times here and there. Customers are advised to check the timetable carefully to ensure they understand the impact of what is happening.

Service 260 (Trowbridge - Lower Studley): The timetable of this service is being changed slightly. Customers are advised to check the new timetable carefully before travelling.

Service 263 (Trowbridge - Studley Green): The timetable of this service, which First operates during the evening only under contract to Wiltshire Council, is being amended slightly. Overall the number of journeys will remain the same but some of the departure times are changing slightly and customers are advised to check the new timetable carefully before travelling.

Service 267 (Bath - Frome): The timetable of this service is changing from 28 July with departure times from Bath will generally brought forward (by around 13 minutes) and departures from Frome put back (by around 24 minutes). From the end of July buses will leave Bath at 15 minutes past the hour, while from Frome they will leave on the hour.

In addition to this there will be additional and earlier first journey from Bath at 0720 hours Monday to Friday.

Finally, the timetable for evening, Sunday and Public Holiday journeys is also changing slightly. Customers who use buses at these times are advised to check the new timetable for details so that they understand the impact of what is happening.

Service 271/272 (Bath - Bowerhill/Devizes/Urchfont): A number of changes are being made to the route and timetable of this service. From 28 July, buses will follow a slightly different route around Melksham with all journeys serving Melksham Forest and thus providing more opportunities for people living there to get to and from Bath. In addition to this the route that buses take in Bath is changing, with all inbound vehicles travelling via Bathwick Street and Pulteney Bridge instead of Walcot Street. Journeys out of Bath are not affected.

In relation to the timetable there are a number of changes. Firstly customers will benefit from an additional and earlier first Monday to Friday journey from Bath to Bowerhill (departing at 0603 hours) and earlier journeys on Saturdays from Bath to Bowerhill at 0622 and 0721 hours. Meanwhile on Sundays and Public Holidays the timetable is being altered by up to 20 minutes in some cases, although the number of journeys over the whole day will remain the same. Customers who use the service on these days are advised to check the new timetable carefully before travelling to ensure they understand what is happening.

Finally all evening Sunday and Public Holiday journeys will be numbered Service 271 from 28 July, with these buses all serving Melksham Forest, Devizes and Urchfont. Notably the first journey on these days from Devizes will be extended to start from Urchfont, providing an earlier first journey towards Bath for people living there.

Elsewhere, click for the First view on upcoming 231/232 and 264/265 bus service changes.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: