10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 12:53:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[275] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[81] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[74] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[59] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] underground plans for Bristol update.
[15] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barked shins. Should I sue?  (Read 3844 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2013, 19:11:11 »

So, I'm sat on the toilet in a Class 158, minding, or rather doing, my own business, when the metal access panel under the sink opposite falls away and smacks me square on both shins. It was disturbed as the train was going over the points at Bradford South Junction.

Ouch, ouch, bloody ouch. And 'bloody' is appropriate, as my left shin was cut, drawing blood, by the rather sharp top edge of this panel.

Closer inspection revealed that the two locks at the top of the panel were both in the open position. These are turned, it appears, by using a standard square end T-key. I can only assume a previous occupant of the toilet was playing silly buggers and had loosened both hinges. Either that or both locks had managed to work themselves loose over the course of the day and I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

After some cursing and dabbing of blood I finished my, ahem, business and went off in search of the TM(resolve). He didn't seem overly concerned at my being injured, but did replace the panel and lock it back in place.

Posted here in The Lighter Side, because I can see the funny side of being injured whilst sat on a train toilet. I'm not seriously considering suing either.

Has anyone else been injured whilst on a train, through no fault of their own?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 19:29:45 »

Class 158 toilets are the devils work BNM...

And yes, I've had a few injuries in train toilets over the years.

Back in 2006 - 2007 when things at FGW (First Great Western) were not as good as they are now. I often found that the toilet seats were not secured to the actual toilets very well, or indeed not at all.

One particular occasion on a Class 158 the train leaned around a corner and the toilet seat slid off the toilet with me sat on it... Shocked Embarrassed I whacked the side of my head on the toilet as I fell. I was more dazed than injured. But had lovely battle bruises.

Personally BNM I would write a complaint letter to FGW. My reasons being that when I complained about my experience above I received 2 complimentary any network First Class tickets Wink Grin Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 19:30:51 »

I've been injured getting ON a train twice!

Once was my fault - I managed to fall between the train and the platform edge - you know the thing they always tell you to look out for.  I was rather unceremoniously hauled back up by a fellow passenger which caused me to bang my shins both on the way down and the way back up.   Grin

The second instance was the other day.  As the train manager on an HST (High Speed Train) released the locks a lady attempted to open the door but didn't push the handle down quite far enough.  Standing on the platform I instinctively reached out to complete the job for her just as she leaned out of the window again and caught my hand with some razor sharp fingernails.  On taking my seat I noticed I had a deep gouge on one finger which just would not stop bleeding for about five minutes.

Worst part was after I sorted all that out the Customer Host announced "Please remain in your seats as the Express Cafe is now closed ahead of a crew change at our next station" ... grrrr  Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 19:55:13 »

"Please remain in your seats as the Express Cafe is now closed ahead of a crew change at our next station" ... grrrr  Grin

* PEDANT ALERT *

How do I get out of the toilet if I have been told to remain seated? Or if seated in the Quiet Carriage is it acceptable to make a telephone call because I've been told to remain in my seat? What If I need to get off the train?

*flaps*

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 19:55:39 »

Personally BNM I would write a complaint letter to FGW (First Great Western).

The email was sent before I posted here on the forum.  Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 19:58:54 »

I was just about to say 'don't get the trout started on toilets'...we'll be here all day .... and he beat me to it. Roll Eyes
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 20:07:17 »

Think WHSmith should reissue those 6d books with yellow covers that they used to sell in millions at their stations bookstalls... titles like Trout Tribulations, Perch Perils,Cod Catastrophes, Haddock Happenings and Salmon Soliloquies should sell very well.....foreword by Big Mac Fisheries of course... Cool
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 20:25:58 »

All part of life's rich tapestry, chuffed. Sharing our tribulations, perils, happenings and catastrophes helps to take the edge off those incidents that occur whilst travelling on God's Wonderful Railway.*

As for 'Big Mac Fisheries'. Sounds like a great idea. I do like a bit of fish and would love to follow in the footsteps of Rick Stein. I think though the McDonald's Corporation might prevent the use of the name 'Big Mac Fisheries'. Tongue Wink Grin

*Other railways are available - none though that have a deity looking over them! Must've been his day off, else he would have ensured a regular user didn't end up with barked shins. 

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 20:41:03 »

On the subject of badly designed toilets, on trains with emergency buttons (instead of cords or handles), why is it always located exactly where you'd fall if standing up doing your business?  Several times recently I've almost activated the alarm.  Roll Eyes
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 20:47:14 »

As for 'Big Mac Fisheries'. Sounds like a great idea. I do like a bit of fish and would love to follow in the footsteps of Rick Stein. I think though the McDonald's Corporation might prevent the use of the name 'Big Mac Fisheries'. Tongue Wink Grin

They might not be the only ones...  http://www.macfisheries.co.uk/  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 21:16:34 »

Mac Fisheries may be no more but it's possible that Unilever still hold the trade mark.

I ain't taking on McDonald's and Unilever.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: