Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:44:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: On train wifi with different Train Operating Companies (TOCs)  (Read 66043 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2015, 11:24:38 »

Routers do tend to need resets every so often - I wonder whether on-train crew are trained, or whether it has to be done remotely?

IMO (in my opinion), FGW (First Great Western) need to advertise the (external) helpdesk details better.

IMO it's disappointing that customers are being expected to phone a 3rd party at their own expense to resolve issues around a service which FGW are providing - WiFi was, and continues to be heralded with great fanfares from FGW as an example of how it's improving its service, I think expectations should have been managed better around capacity/connectivity and so on - I get that it's "free", however I don't see this as an excuse - if a vendor advertises something "free" as part of its offering, that doesn't mean it can be substandard.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2015, 11:29:35 »

It isn't substandard - it works very well if the router is up & booted, and there aren't masses all trying to use it (probably on multiple devices too, if the experience on Chiltern is anything to go by)

It costs basically nowt to contact the helpdesk - the call comes off your mobile minutes &everyone has minutes to spare these days)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 12:14:27 »

It isn't substandard - it works very well if the router is up & booted, and there aren't masses all trying to use it (probably on multiple devices too, if the experience on Chiltern is anything to go by)

Two big "ifs" but fair comment ChrisB, "substandard" probably too strong a word.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 12:19:18 »

I've rarely had connection issues so far, certainly not any worse than other public networks I've used and tried to use over the years.  Worth pointing out that not all the Turbo fleet has been fitted yet.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2015, 13:51:55 »

I tried and almost failed to connect en route to Gatwick from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains). Connecting took so long that I gave up until Swindon. It worked intermittently to Reading. I didn't even try between Reading and Gatwick.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2015, 20:43:14 »

I had conversation with a FGW (First Great Western) TM(resolve) today. His view is its a gimmick that hardly works. He said it hardly works anywhere except between Reading to Paddington on the routes he covers (Exeter based I think).

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2015, 20:47:58 »

I'd like to thank him for his perhaps brutal honesty.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 20:48:54 »

I have had good service on (nearly empty) trains between Cheltenham and Swindon (both ways).
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 21:00:05 »

I find it works well most of the way from London to Oxford, and then intermittently along the Cotswold Line - but then every network I've ever tried is intermittent along the Cotswold Line, 3 probably being the best.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 12:22:13 »

This is the problem that FGW (First Great Western) are going to have. When it was little advertised the service was faultless and speed for ontrain WiFi was incredible.

These days there are places where it is worse than useless. Particularly on busy trains.

It's the same issue with sharing a 2MB/s connection in the workplace. Might be fine for 2 or 3 people for casual browsing. But try running that in an office with a couple of servers and 40 workstations... (Which I came across a couple weeks ago) Roll Eyes

It's like the motorway congestion effect. If you have a 4 lane motorway with just a small handful of cars. You can do speeds in the hundreds as the capacity is there to do so.

But if you have a 2 lane motorway which now has several hundred cars and a few lorries... Speeds are going to be much slower as there is too much traffic for the motorway to handle...

That is what happens when you try to share a 3G Modem between a couple hundred passengers... But things like iCloud or Google+ Photo Backup (Which is programmed to run over WiFi rather than 3G/4G) are what kills connections. Uploading data on a connection where upload is limited WILL have serious impact on it.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:19 »

I'm "suffering" at the moment with an internet connection that's said to be 'state of the art' and 'like having a fibre optic cable attached to the back of the ship' - but the problem's that the ship has around 5,000 people on board, and lots of them are sharing that cable.    Coffee Shop, my blog and company work site fine as they're optimised to keep them small. Facebook doesn't run but crawls.  Network speed test (yeah, I know - how to kill it) gave me 0.1 Mbits per second where I would get 500 times that at home and, no, I have not tried to download a complete backup of all the Coffee Shop posts  - rather I have in to one of our servers and copied it directly to another server where we have space without bringing it on board here!  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2015, 12:50:02 »

Perhaps they should actually attach a fibre optic cable to the back of the boat!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2015, 17:55:28 »

Or tap into the one of those on the sea bed. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2015, 20:18:09 »

Perhaps they should actually attach a fibre optic cable to the back of the boat!

More "State of the Ark". Send out a pair of doves now and again, then see if they come come back with an olive branch. It's better than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), where they demand cash on the rail, currently ^5 for each hour or so, the data being collected then returned by specially trained rabbits. Not so much "fibre optic" as "Fiver hop-trick".

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2015, 20:30:31 »

More "State of the Ark". Send out a pair of doves now and again, then see if they come come back with an olive branch. It's better than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), where they demand cash on the rail, currently ^5 for each hour or so, the data being collected then returned by specially trained rabbits. Not so much "fibre optic" as "Fiver hop-trick".

Wincingly high access price here ... but then you divide the package total by the number of us sharing it (2) and the number of days, and it looks sensibler.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: