Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:03:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new reason for a train delay  (Read 15364 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 19:05:08 »

At least it's nice and simple with Turbo's - as long as there's no more than two per vestibule they can be loaded anywhere ...
In my experience very often against the doors - which might be fine if only the doors on one side were used throughout the journey, but this often is not the case at several stations including Reading and Didcot. The owners of the bikes don't always appear promptly to move them unfortunately.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 22:32:27 »

bikes will remain problematic . 

Bikes are not the problem.

I strongly agree.  

A small semantic defence of my post on this subject.  I used the term 'problematic' (not 'problem') of bikes because I recognise that the issue is NOT solely the bike, but a complex range of issues around their use both on the railways and the roads.  I apportion no blame, but merely point up the ongoing discussion, to which of course both RS and ellendune have added interesting points-of-view.

I perhaps should declare a small interest in a bicycle business (not in the FGW (First Great Western) area) and would not want to disrespect potential customers.  Smiley
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 23:07:25 »

I thought that it was simply that FGW (First Great Western) had switched to its Summer Edition excuses book.  This offers new and improved reasons for service interruption and delay, including the introduction of a special section dedicated to "It's not us, it's Network Rail...".
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 23:28:25 »

bikes will remain problematic . 

Bikes are not the problem.

I strongly agree.  

A small semantic defence of my post on this subject.  I used the term 'problematic' (not 'problem') of bikes because I recognise that the issue is NOT solely the bike, but a complex range of issues around their use both on the railways and the roads.  I apportion no blame, but merely point up the ongoing discussion, to which of course both RS and ellendune have added interesting points-of-view.

I perhaps should declare a small interest in a bicycle business (not in the FGW (First Great Western) area) and would not want to disrespect potential customers.  Smiley

Since the railways no longer have a common carrier obligation, it's really up to them to decide whether to accept bicycles on trains - though it'd be good if they could come up with a clear, consistent and usable policy. However my little bushy ears are (perhap s over-) sensitive to any suggestion that non-motorised vehicles do not have as much right to be on the roads as evil community-destroying vile smelly noisome mobile death greenhouses cars. Not that you were suggesting that!  Smiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 08:30:30 »

One of the problems is that some 40 years ago, many platforms were reduced in length, presumably as some sort of cost saving measure thought necessary to cope with lower levels of income from falling passenger numbers. Many of these platforms now need to be lengthend again but this usually at enormous expense so very few get lengthened.
60 years ago my family went by train from Bridgwater to Weymouth for our annual 7 day holiday - very few people had or could afford anything longer. In those carless days (for most people) I used to take my bike with me, after paying the bike fare. It meant using 3 trains - Bridgwater to Durston, Durston (on the Taunton to Yeovil Pen Mill flyer - just a few coaches pulled by a tank engine but always a guards van) and then on to Weymouth. There was a guards van on all these trains and I never thought much about the arrangements for taking my bike. I just turned up and went!
Those were the days!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 08:47:51 »

Why was the van there? Not just for bikes; I rather fancy it was provided mainly for urgent goods and the local parcels service that was dying out at the time.

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 08:58:28 »

Of course it was not just for bikes. Large items of passenger luggage, a multitude of big and small parcels for the then extensive railway parcels service. I remember when thousands of day old chicks were sent by rail for a speedy delivery all over the country. Some how or other our supplies of day old chicks came as a gift via our neighbouring railway porter! And of course, the guards van housed the guard's accomodation. It was a true multi-purpose vehicle.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:42 »

Areas for bikes are more often than not, empty. Spaces where fare-earning seats could be, and will be, as the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) more often than not 'encourage' every space to be fare earning.

It is really Government policy that is to blame. Maybe charge child prices for bikes?.....Might encourage TOCs (Train Operating Company) to provide better spaces?
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:01 »

It sounds like the issue was that at Tilehurst the front 5 carriages only were opened, which would not include the TGS at the back where the bike was stored. At nearly all station the TGS is on the platform and that is the correct place to load a bike. If the cyclist was not a regular traveller they may well not have known that at Tilehurst their bike would not be accessible. Staff nearly always direct passengers to the TGS at the rear as well if they have bicycles.

Is it possible to get into the TM(resolve) office from the saloon of coach A as a passenger? It's been a long time, but I seem to remember once having big luggage, putting it in there and having to quickly walk round from the door at the London end of coach A (in correct formation) on arrival.

Also, are the storage areas in the power cars accessible? I seem to remember reading somewhere that since additional equipement was put in the public was not allowed in these areas.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 12:18:33 »

Is it possible to get into the TM(resolve) office from the saloon of coach A as a passenger? It's been a long time, but I seem to remember once having big luggage, putting it in there and having to quickly walk round from the door at the London end of coach A (in correct formation) on arrival.

Also, are the storage areas in the power cars accessible? I seem to remember reading somewhere that since additional equipement was put in the public was not allowed in these areas.

It's possible to get into both areas if someone lets you in with a 'T' key.  The power cars can be used for bike storage (they have racks for three bikes) or luggage storage - so the public is allowed in them to load/unload such items under the supervision of staff.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 14:28:36 »

Yes ChrisB - in days of old fares were charged to take bikes on trains. But basic train fares were much more modest in those days and many more people could afford to travel by rail. A child fare now for a bike could well decimate bikes on trains, but perhaps that is what some parties would prefer to see to match demand more against supply?
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 20:58:09 »

It's possible to get into both areas if someone lets you in with a 'T' key.  The power cars can be used for bike storage (they have racks for three bikes) or luggage storage - so the public is allowed in them to load/unload such items under the supervision of staff.

The luggage area of a PC while inside the train requires a high-secure key to access, (T-key from external platform doors).

The public are not allowed through the TM office door (except in an emergency), as the guards doors do not have CDL (Central Door Locking) locking.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 23:31:43 »

Out of area but a few months ago I witnessed several bikes being loaded onto a Severn Beach Service at Bristol Temple Meads. 150's are meant to accomodate 3 bikes, however they often take 6 bikes and use the space allocated to a Wheelchair.

I recall a rather 'snobby' lady getting irate because a chap got on in a Wheelchair at Stapleton Road and she was asked to move her bike (The fourth) off the train. Needless to say that didn't go down well at all.

Also in Frome I'm not sure how bikes work there, but for at least 3 of the HST (High Speed Train) workings the TGS is also not on the platform. I believe the reason for this is when the train needs to reverse the driver cannot get into the cab as the opposite Power Car is stopped across a bridge with no room to safely get into the cab.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 13:48:39 »

(Apologies for the thread resurrection; I'd not seen this thread until now.)

A very many moons ago, long before elfin safe tea, (and also before Central Door Locking on HSTs (High Speed Train)) I was taking my bike on an overnight Summer Saturday HST to St Columb Road.  (It had come from York or possibly Leeds, and I joined it at Derby.)  Goodness knows why, of all the stations on the Newquay branch, the train was timetabled to stop there.  The platform is, at best, 2 coaches long, and there's an AOCL (Automatic Open Crossing (Locally monitored) A level crossing without barriers that is observed by the train crew before they proceed over the crossing) level crossing at the Newquay end of the platform.  The TGS was at the rear of the train.  Well before departure from Par, I asked the Senior Conductor what I should do regarding my bike, such as move it to a door nearer the middle of the train; he said "it'll be fine where it is".

Once the train arrived at St Columb Road, the Senior Conductor let me walk through the TGS to the van part; he then used the intercom to the driver, who advised that, because of the level crossing, he (the driver) couldn't pull forward to let me out.  So the senior conductor opened the van door.  I stepped out onto a bridge parapet, and he passed me the bike.  After the train had gone, I stepped down onto the track, then along the bridge to the platform ramp!  I had about an hour and a half to complete this before the HST came back from Newquay.

Little wonder that, in the next summer's timetable, the St Columb Road stop became "Pick Up Only". So I had a 10 mile (hilly) bike ride to my destination, instead of an 8-mile flatter one.

Aside: the Derby CIS (Customer Information System) for this train showed all the passenger stops, and "St Blazey" and "Goonbarrow Junction"!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: