Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 06:55:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Newquay Branch line - engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 35903 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2009, 00:21:33 »

The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services to Newquay this year were running empty most of the time, I think the airlines have really seen off that market from the North, but, the Pad-Nqy services numbers were up, latest rumour is that XC won't be going to newquay next year, but only a rumour and not from a good source.

As for locals, there are a lot more travelling from intermediate stations on the branch now.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2009, 10:03:43 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) would have to get the specification changed if they were to cease running to Newquay, so that would be interesting if true (vacman's flagging his source up as not good noted).

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2009, 10:34:55 »

The report is very possitive, and I don't want to undermine any of it, but - how many of the additional users are  'locals'?

Why does it matter?  The local communities benefit regardless of whether it is a local or a tourist.  Every trip is either an car off the roads of a journey made by someone who would have otherwise stayed at home or gone elsewhere.

Well done FGW (First Great Western) for doing this and without extra subsidy too and for the friends group that supports the line.

It does beg the question why not elsewhere (Melksham for example where there are plenty of potential travellers and some notable locals with commitment to the line and its promotion).
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2009, 12:14:10 »

The report is very possitive, and I don't want to undermine any of it, but - how many of the additional users are  'locals'?

Why does it matter?  The local communities benefit regardless of whether it is a local or a tourist.  Every trip is either an car off the roads of a journey made by someone who would have otherwise stayed at home or gone elsewhere.

Well done FGW (First Great Western) for doing this and without extra subsidy too and for the friends group that supports the line.

It does beg the question why not elsewhere (Melksham for example where there are plenty of potential travellers and some notable locals with commitment to the line and its promotion).
The reason this was made possible was putting Ivybridge stops into a couple of HST (High Speed Train)'s, thus withdrawing the Plymouth-Newton Abbot shuttles which used a single 153, this freed up a unit to use on the Gunnislake all day, removing the need to "nick" the Newquay unit to do the evening peak Gunnislake.

It is quite amazing now to go out to Newquay and have to stop at nearly all intermediete stations, even in winter, unheard of previously!
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2009, 12:22:31 »

The intermediate stations are getting busier, people are realising the tickets are good value, and the times are convenient, it has been helped by marketing leaflets organised by RichardB from the Devon and Cornwall rail partnership. It also helps that the local line has regularly been covered by the local press, encouraging people to use the trains. The Focal (Friends of the Atlantic Coast Line [Newquay]) group is also doing a good job in promoting the line.
A couple of there future aims are to get a sunday service on the line all year, and to get a local service to Newquay for intermediate stations on summer saturdays, this would be easier if crosscountry withdrew there services. I was speaking to a memeber of staff on the train and FGW (First Great Western) are looking to see if the linespeed can be increased, which would help local services and intercity services during the summer.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 15:35:53 »

Living in Newquay myself. I really fidn the Trains awful for getting to east-bound Cornwall. It takes 20 mins by car and around One Hour and bit to get to Truro by train. Any update on the Newquay-St Austell line?
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2009, 16:38:17 »

Living in Newquay myself. I really fidn the Trains awful for getting to east-bound Cornwall. It takes 20 mins by car and around One Hour and bit to get to Truro by train. Any update on the Newquay-St Austell line?
Going West from Newquay it makes sense to drive, as it is much quicker.
The Newquay to St. Austell line is an aspiration of the FOCAL group and integrated into the St. Austell eco town plans as far as I can tell, so it will be at least ten years before anything is realised in my opinion.
The following link has details about the proposed loop
http://www.focal.org.uk/loop.htm
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2009, 08:53:32 »

. Loadings on the seasonal trains from Paddington/Reading have been higher this year than last I believe, with probably the same on the services from the North.

The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service to NQY (Newquay (Station)) this year have definately suffered VERY low numbers. I find it hard to believe FGWs (First Great Western) are up?? Travelled on the 'ACE' on several peak Saturdays and there was plenty of space. I also dont recall seeing much lugguage pilled up in the additional TGS, unlike previous years when you couldn't even see in the windows!!

Also, surely the quote of 'more users than EVER on the Newquay branch' isnt true?? Thought official figures only exsist for the last 5/6 years??
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2009, 19:36:52 »

. Loadings on the seasonal trains from Paddington/Reading have been higher this year than last I believe, with probably the same on the services from the North.

The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service to NQY (Newquay (Station)) this year have definately suffered VERY low numbers. I find it hard to believe FGWs (First Great Western) are up?? Travelled on the 'ACE' on several peak Saturdays and there was plenty of space. I also dont recall seeing much lugguage pilled up in the additional TGS, unlike previous years when you couldn't even see in the windows!!

Also, surely the quote of 'more users than EVER on the Newquay branch' isnt true?? Thought official figures only exsist for the last 5/6 years??
Summer saturdays are no longer changeover day which is why the saturday trains were quieter, the week days HST (High Speed Train)'s to Newquay were stacked out on Mondays and fridays, along with the up HST on the sundays, the saturdays were also busy on the London HST's.

Best thing XC can do is pull out of Cornwall completely, then on summer saturdays have a mix of HST's/units on the Newquay with units stopping at all intermediete stations.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2009, 19:42:35 »

Best thing XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) can do is pull out of Cornwall completely, then on summer saturdays have a mix of HST (High Speed Train)'s/units on the Newquay with units stopping at all intermediete stations.

Are you sure you want them to pull out of Cornwall completely, or just from Newquay?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2009, 13:01:30 »

Best thing XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) can do is pull out of Cornwall completely, then on summer saturdays have a mix of HST (High Speed Train)'s/units on the Newquay with units stopping at all intermediete stations.

Are you sure you want them to pull out of Cornwall completely, or just from Newquay?
they may aswell pull out completely and leave the west to FGW (First Great Western), if FGW ran an hourly Pnz/Ply-Bristol service with some being Pad services via Bristol then we don't need XC, you rarely see anyone travelling beyond Birmingham anyway because of XC's rediculous walk up fares and non-availiablity of Advance fares for longer distance.

Who wants to travel on a crappy voyager anyway?
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2009, 19:31:57 »

they may aswell pull out completely and leave the west to FGW (First Great Western), if FGW ran an hourly Pnz/Ply-Bristol service with some being Pad services via Bristol then we don't need XC, you rarely see anyone travelling beyond Birmingham anyway because of XC's rediculous walk up fares and non-availiablity of Advance fares for longer distance.

I know many people wont back me up on this but I have yet to experience a bad trip in a voyager and I travel up to Coventry so a good 5-6 hours spent in one per trip! Im glad XC run into cornwall because the last thing i want to do is to haul heavy bags around Birmingham and Bristol/Plymouth.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2009, 22:32:06 »

I know many people wont back me up on this but I have yet to experience a bad trip in a voyager and I travel up to Coventry so a good 5-6 hours spent in one per trip! Im glad XC run into cornwall because the last thing i want to do is to haul heavy bags around Birmingham and Bristol/Plymouth.

if travelling Off-Peak you can save a few bob and avoid Birmingham altogether. Off Peak fares from Cornwall via Reading to Coventry are cheaper than via Birmingham. Only 30 mins longer journey time with a more civilised, usually cross-platform, interchange at Reading.

If sticking with AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) and ther god-awful Voyagers then don't forget to split your fare at Cheltenham to save a fair bit over the through fare.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2009, 00:02:29 »

I still dont believe the 'More users than EVER on the Newquay branch', is this correct???
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2009, 09:20:30 »

I still dont believe the 'More users than EVER on the Newquay branch', is this correct???
As I understand the figures, the figures exist only for the last 5 or 6 years, and this year has beaten all of those figures.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: