Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:39:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Overheard on a train  (Read 13016 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2013, 20:46:12 »

I often overhear things on a train which amuse me, but then quickly forgot them...so just to record for posterity...

Woman on phone (not in the quiet coach for a change).  "I may be a bit late into Truro as they have announced our train has been diverted via Bristol"

FACT:  It was the 07:30 from Paddington to Penzance, which always goes via Bristol.  What the announcement actually mentioned was that the train had made an extra call at Didcot because the old favourite, the 07:15 to Cardiff, had been cancelled.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 20:58:41 »

Here's one from last week as our train arrived at Bristol

Male TM(resolve) (looked mid twenties) "Don't worry, we'll get you married off"

Female 1st Class Customer Host (middle aged) " I don't want marriage, I just want a man to come round twice a week and give me sex."

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 21:31:25 »

While she's staffing the buffet/pushing the 1st Class trolley?  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 18:23:19 »

Not on a train but said to me at Hanborough Station yesterday where parking charges start next Monday:
A furious lady (?) approached and demanded to know how she would be able to park her car next week. She said ^I have an arrangement with a resident of Station Terrace to park my car outside their house. They put a cone out to reserve a space for me to park my car but next week there will yellow lines to prevent me from parking there. Where am I going to park my car?^ On being told that there should be plenty of available spaces in the new car park she responded ^but I will have to pay and I do not think I should pay as I pay a high train fare that should include that^. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 18:43:47 »

^but I will have to pay and I do not think I should pay as I pay a high train fare that should include that^. 

I'm sure some bright spark could come up with an inclusive "plus parking" ticket just like you can get "plus bus" and "plus travel card".  Perhaps we should also have "plus cycle", "plus dog", "plus baby buggy", "plus a lot of luggage" and "plus two dogs". I fear I'm in danger of starting a serious discussion here.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 21:09:46 »

There are a few 'plus parking' tickets out there already.

East Midlands Trains do a 'Standard Plus Parking': http://goo.gl/aAaFb and a similar 1st Class product.

East Coast offer a few 'packages' that include parking: http://goo.gl/eCgar

FGW (First Great Western) offer a 1st Class 'Executive Ticket': http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Train-times-and-tickets/Ticket-types/Business-tickets

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 21:27:17 »

She said ^I have an arrangement with a resident of Station Terrace to park my car outside their house. They put a cone out to reserve a space for me to park my car but next week there will yellow lines to prevent me from parking there..."

She seems to be missing the point that even the resident doesn't have any right to park on the road outside their property - cone or no cone.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 22:36:34 »

^but I will have to pay and I do not think I should pay as I pay a high train fare that should include that^. 

I'm sure some bright spark could come up with an inclusive "plus parking" ticket just like you can get "plus bus" and "plus travel card".  Perhaps we should also have "plus cycle", "plus dog", "plus baby buggy", "plus a lot of luggage" and "plus two dogs". I fear I'm in danger of starting a serious discussion here.

You forgot 'plus seat' and 'plus seat for my bag'.  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:57:30 »

FGW (First Great Western) offer a 1st Class 'Executive Ticket': http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Train-times-and-tickets/Ticket-types/Business-tickets

You learn something every day ...

Executive Tickets

These include parking at the station, a First Class Anytime Return ticket, an on-board catering voucher and free seat reservations. They are available from many stations to Reading, London Paddington and London Zone 1 (which includes travel in Zone 1 on the London Underground). Buy your ticket at your local station or by calling 08457 000 125.

and I also learned about

Corporate Season Tickets

Save your business time and money when your employees make regular journeys on the same route. Unlike normal season tickets, our Corporate Season Tickets are transferable, so they can be used by anyone in your company, and they^re exclusively available to Business Direct customers through our Telephone Account.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:14:31 »

and I also learned about

Corporate Season Tickets

Save your business time and money when your employees make regular journeys on the same route. Unlike normal season tickets, our Corporate Season Tickets are transferable, so they can be used by anyone in your company, and they^re exclusively available to Business Direct customers through our Telephone Account.

I've seen a few people with these on my commute.   They are normal season tickets, but the photocard number is printed as "BEARER".

Pricing varies on the TOC (Train Operating Company) who set the fare.  Based on a few quick glances, I'm guessing SWT (South West Trains) charge 1.5x the normal season ticket price.  I have no idea how FGW (First Great Western) choose to set fares for these.

Interestingly, it is also possible to purchase a 12-month all line bearer pass directly from Rail Settlement Plan Ltd.  No price is published for this.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 15:00:47 »

She said ^I have an arrangement with a resident of Station Terrace to park my car outside their house. They put a cone out to reserve a space for me to park my car but next week there will yellow lines to prevent me from parking there..."

She seems to be missing the point that even the resident doesn't have any right to park on the road outside their property - cone or no cone.  Roll Eyes

I'd move the cone if it was a legal place to park  Roll Eyes

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 16:12:09 »

Young girl sat opposite me on a Southend Victoria - London Liverpool Street service on the phone.

"I'm not quite sure whether I want to get some fake tan for my boobs or sunbathe topless"

Also on the same line, different train in the opposite direction. Group of failed youff experiments were giving me grief and wanted me to leave 1ST Class. After some further profane language directed at me I heard one of them say "How long till we get to Romford?"

The train did not call at Romford... However it does call at Rochford Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

I took great pleasure point out Romford as we thrashed through it at about 90mph. Most satisfying. Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 20:58:59 »

On my nice cool train up to Bedford earlier (note.. not a very hot FGW (First Great Western) train - see my other post re that).. there was a conversation between three ladies about the Rolling stones (who'd they'd seen last night) and who they would.. erm... like to "go out with".. It was nowhere near as polite as that but it made me laugh.. Roll Eyes Tongue
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 21:25:42 »

Here's one from last week as our train arrived at Bristol
Male TM(resolve) (looked mid twenties) "Don't worry, we'll get you married off"
Female 1st Class Customer Host (middle aged) "I don't want marriage, I just want a man to come round twice a week and give me sex."

Thanks, John R - that's a classic!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 13:04:00 »

On my way home from Paddington into Reading last night we ground to a halt just before Sutton Business park

The Train Manager then announced "apologies for the delay, Ladies and Gentlemen but we are waiting for a vacant platform at Reading."

Maybe they should consider building some more...

I am aware that we were on a service which was heading towards Penzance and therefore probably had a limited choice of platforms but it still made me smile Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: