Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:07 London Paddington to Newbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:07 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
15:34 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:28:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guidance for Customer Hosts  (Read 3617 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 14, 2013, 18:42:39 »

http://travel.cnn.com/shanghai/life/china-sets-amusing-rules-shanghai-beijing-bullet-train-attendants-287576

Rules for would-be bullet train attendants include:
Smile with only eight front teeth showing, a feat achieved by daily chopstick-biting training.
Smile through the eyes. Training for this talent involves covering all facial features save the eyes and smiling to each other.
The ability to carry out impressive talent shows.
Provide ^5S^ service to passengers. Although many indiscreet Chinese jokes can be fashioned out of it, ^5S^ actually refers to smile, speed, standards, sincerity and satisfy.

Posted here for comparison purposes ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 20:26:08 »

A spoof advert for FGW (First Great Western) buffet car attendants ..

For comparison purposes

Rules for would-be buffet car attendants include:
Smile with only eight miilimetres of bared teeth, 4mm each side. No Dracula like fangs should be visible, a feat achieved by daily customer-baiting training.
Scowl through the eyes. Training for this talent involves covering all facial features save the eyes and trying to out glare  each other. Best tried after the customer has asked for an extra wooden stick to stir his/her coffee
The inability to carry out impressive talent shows.
Provide ^5S^ service to passengers. Although many indiscreet English jokes can be fashioned out of it, ^5S^ actually refers to scowl, surly, slam,silent and spill.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 21:38:25 »

I have met several staff in various places who will have attended the charm school where chuffed's standards would have been met with flying colours, but my personal experience has not included FGW (First Great Western) buffet staff.  However, a false smile is usually seen for what it is and I think making work genuinely pleasurable and employing people who actual like giving service probably obviates many training schemes in customer service.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 02:27:54 »

I use the catering facilities on FGWs (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) on an all too frequent basis. The majority of the staff are excellent, although there are one or two for whom it seems that anything is too much effort, even raising a smile.

London based crews are lowest in my estimation of what makes good Customer Service. Those from Plymouth are by far the best.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 17:35:44 »

I use the catering facilities on FGWs (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) on an all too frequent basis. The majority of the staff are excellent, although there are one or two for whom it seems that anything is too much effort, even raising a smile.

I quite agree with that sadly. There is a particular member of Buffet Staff that seems to want to spend time gossiping with colleagues rather than serving customers. I once stood in the Buffet and made a "buying signal" and was told "Just a minute sir" they decided to continue what was clearly a staff gossip conversation. 5 minutes later I peered around the counter again and heard, "Just a minute sir, please!" quite sharply. My response may sound rude but was more frustration in being ignored was "It was 1 minute, 5 minutes ago!" They came to the counter and I ordered a comp coffee. This was begrudgingly made. I asked for fruit cake and was told to wait for the trolley. Completely overlooking that fact I came to the buffet just before Bath Spa and the train terminated at Bristol Temple Meads. The regulars of those trains will get what I'm implying there. (The answer was a poorly disguised, NO!)

I have to agree in contrast though, that most staff are excellent. When I did my years of commuting between Taunton and Bath Spa on the 07:15 and 18:00 return. Some of the staff even remember how I took my coffee, how many milks I have, some of them would just make it without me having to say anything. It certainly sometimes felt like a personal service rather than a commercial one. One occasion I ordered a breakfast from the Traveling Chef but forgot to say No Tomato/extra egg or something instead please. Needless to say I realised when I saw the breakfast being brought to me I had forgotten. The Customer Host hadn't. No Tomatoes in sight and an extra Egg and piece of toast Grin

Personally, I think it's amazing how something such as that can make your start to the day seem so much better Grin Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 17:38:48 »

I think the regular customer host on the 07:30 Paddington to Penzance worries I might be ill if I DON'T order hot food from the Travelling Chef on that service and only have a coffee.  Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 21:31:11 »

I would agree that Plymouth CH's are excellent.  However, in the evening there are a couple on my Swindon to Nailsea journey who seem to think it's ok not to bother doing a run of 1st Class between Swindon and Bristol and one woman who I have never seen smile. They're not Plymouth, though where they are based I couldn't say, and to be fair most of the evening crew are pretty good, even though there seems less of a chance to build up a rapport with regulars.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: