09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:30:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[106] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[21] access for all at Devon stations report
[13] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[11] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Was I overcharged by Virgin Trains?  (Read 7567 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2013, 22:31:55 »

Bought a London to Kidderminster via High Wycombe Super off peak return ticket (i.e. to be used on Chiltern).

I used the outward part as normal.

On the way back, I was shocked to see that Chiltern's sunday service stopped everywhere* (and I was in a hurry) so I decided to use Virgin instead, understanding that a guard can "excess" a ticket.

My super off peak return cost ^18.15 (railcard discount).

The cheapest walk up Virgin trains ticket is the "via Birmingham off peak return" which costs ^33.45.

Onboard, the guard charged me ^13.55 for a "X/S ALT RTE(resolve) SGL" from Birmingham to London, route "any permitted".

Is this correct? ^13 is about the difference between the two fares, but as I was only upgrading the return leg, I thought that the difference should be halved.

If someone could confirm, I would be very grateful.

*Not only was the train stopping at tiny villages such as High Wycombe, it was stopping at DENHAM GOLF CLUB Angry
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 23:35:38 »

I'm not sure Btline. Did you get issued 2 Excess Tickets. I know BigNoseMac had problems similar to this at Paddington with a Warminster-Salisbury route ticket. He made a thread a while back on here about it.

But recently I was quoted the price of an Off Peak Single from Stoke-on-Trent to Euston on a Saturday at ^62.80 with Virgin Trains.

That's bad. Really Bad. The Super Off Peak Single was ^18.40 and would have been valid all day on Saturday.  The prices quoted did not include a railcard discount either.

The story is in Fares Fair about changing times of Advance tickets just below this thread Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:18:34 »

In short, no this is not correct and technically is not the correct ticket.  The excess should have been a Kidderminster to London "X/S ALT RTE(resolve) RTN" route "VIA BIRMINGHAM" but only issued in one direction (i.e. the return portion).

The fare should be ^7.65 ((33.45 - 18.15) / 2).

There is no penalty for buying a change of route excess on-board, even if there are ticket selling facilities at the station.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:07 »

When is this all stations train?  I occasionally travel from Birmingham to Denham Golf Club and would love to avoid having to change; Chiltern's timetable often gives very poor connections between fast and slow trains and I tend to find I spend longer waiting between trains than I do actually moving!  The worst is when the fast train's last stop before Marylebone is the station before the slow train's start point, so it's impossible to connect at all. 

I'd like to see Chiltern use High Wycombe as a hub between their fast and slow trains with virtually everything stopping there; it's one of the most-used stations on the line and for the sake of a couple of minutes on the journey time it would improve connections no end.

I wonder in this case if a cancellation caused a later train to make extra stops to cover?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 14:00:46 by Ralph Ayres » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 16:13:15 »

When is this all stations train?

The only one that comes close in the timetable seems to be the 20:20 off New Street - but that skips 8 stations such as Hatton, King's Sutton and Sudbury Hill ... me thinks there might have been a bit of lilly-guilding in the original post ;-)

Welcome to the forum, Ralph Ayres!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 17:14:17 »

Be fair.

Up to 18:43 there are two fast trains an hour from Moor Street (not New Street) - 121* minutes to Marylebone. After that the three remaining through trains (19:18, 20:23, and 21:18) take over the stopping service from Princes Risborough - 149* minutes to Marylebone or more.

This means stopping everywhere except the two Subdury stations, which have no Sunday service. Only one does stop at Denham Golf Course, but is actually the only one to take under 90 minutes.  Exactly which stations are so minor you object to your train stopping there is a matter of opinion (or prejudice) only, not fact or passenger statistics.

(*corrected for errors in arithmetic due to using brain in hot weather.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 21:42:27 by stuving » Logged
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 21:33:12 »

Up to 18:43 there are two fast trains an hour from Moor Street (not New Street) - 61 minutes to Marylebone.

Clearly no need for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) then!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 21:47:44 »

Up to 18:43 there are two fast trains an hour from Moor Street (not New Street) - 61 minutes to Marylebone.

Clearly no need for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) then!
Oops - my mistake.
It would be cheaper, wouldn't it. Might give some ToCs ideas though. Special end of summer time just for the end of your journey, that sort of thing.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 22:52:54 »

First of all, many thanks Brucey. I shall now claim compensation! (well, a refund) Not sure who to ask! I bought the ticket online from East Coast for travel with Chiltern, and was upgraded by Virgin! (will try Virgin first)

It was a Sunday evening service that was definitely stopping at places like Denham Golf Club. I shouldn't complain, most trains are first stop Bicester or Banbury and many have had Dorridge stops axed. But not at the weekend!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 23:21:14 »

Examples include the 2023 on Sunday, BMO to London! Stops at Denham Golf Club! Takes 2.5 hrs, one hour longer than usual...

Anyway, "feedback" has been sent. It could take 20 days for them to respond. I hope they don't say "your lucky you didn't get a chinged for an Anytime/penalty fare/arrested by BTP (British Transport Police)Roll Eyes
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:38:45 »

Examples include the 2023 on Sunday, BMO to London! Stops at Denham Golf Club! Takes 2.5 hrs, one hour longer than usual...

Nice train ride through the countryside, ruined.

Anyway, "feedback" has been sent. It could take 20 days for them to respond. I hope they don't say "your lucky you didn't get a chinged for an Anytime/penalty fare/arrested by BTP (British Transport Police)Roll Eyes

"Chinged" is clearly a technical term, but I think I know what you mean. I was once picked up by the fuzz. Made my eyes water, I can tell you...

Now, please!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 21:54:24 »

Please see the continuation of this saga in the Frequent Posters Club.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 16:29:16 »

Please see the continuation of this saga in the Frequent Posters Club.

For the benefit of guests and newcomers to The Coffee Shop ...

"Frequent Posters Club" is an area which can only be read (and contributed to) by members once they have passed a certain threshold of contributions.  The area is used for discussions of things like meet ups, and members can be a little more open there with things like their movements, real names, phone numbers etc as they're writing amongst friends / contacts who they're had a chance to read and get to know.  Frequent Posters account for less that 4% of posts on this forum.

For those with access, you can read on at:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12925.msg139607

For those who can't yet read on - keep posting.  Once you cross the threshold, you'll be able to see Frequent Posters right back to when it started!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: