16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 19:30:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Avoncliff station, still a request stop?  (Read 45762 times)
Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2013, 20:37:10 »

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, although I have been reading this forum for some time this is my first actual post. Hopefully the first of many Smiley

I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to:
Does anyone know if Avoncliff is still a request stop?

All references to it ever having been a request stop seem to have vanished, but I'm unable to find any information that definitely confirms such a change.

I sometimes travel there from Pewsey for an evening out, and upon return will catch a train that gets me back to Westbury in time for the last connecting train back.

When I last used the service I played safe and requested the train to stop anyway. When on board I asked the train manager about this and she said that this particular service used to be a request stop and now isn't. But she did not know if this applied to other services.

I hope this doesn't seem like a trivial question. On the one hand I don't want to distract the driver needlessly by requesting, if they're going to stop anyway. On the other hand, if I didn't signal to the driver and the train went through I'd be stranded!

Many thanks
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 22:36:32 »

By no means a trivial question. I wasn't sure and I've been here a fair old while. So I checked.

Avoncliff is no longer a request stop.

It has a roughly hourly service Mon-Sat in each direction made up of services to and from Weymouth and/or Westbury, with the odd additional service to/from points beyond Westbury. On Sundays, the service is less frequent but all services timetabled to call at Avoncliff will stop. There are no longer any request stop services. Here's a link to the current timetable:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/Timetables/May%202013%20timetable/GW13M_TT25_WEB.ashx

Hope that's of help to you. And on behalf of the Coffee Shop team may I extend a warm welcome to the forum Godfrey Tables. Lurkers who take the plunge are more than welcome.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:02:04 »

Thank-you bignosemac for looking into this, and your warm welcome.

And apologies for not posting into the correct part of the forum, as I've just realised that seeing as the majority of services are to Weymouth and not Portsmouth I wrote this in the wrong place. Woops! Embarrassed
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 23:13:32 »

Confirmed from personal experience on a trip to the Cross Guns a couple of weeks back.

Although it's not a request stop, the platform is so short that the conductor will only open a single, "local" door at the front of the train. That obviously doesn't make a lot of difference to you if you're joining the train, but if you're alighting then you need to be at the very front door.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 23:15:20 »

And apologies for not posting into the correct part of the forum, as I've just realised that seeing as the majority of services are to Weymouth and not Portsmouth

Fixed that for you.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 21:01:37 »

In case anyone looks at this after 8 September 2013, the current timetable can be found here. Avoncliff remains a scheduled stop. Only Dilton Marsh needs Jenny Agguter's underwear on this route.

Now, please!
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:03:26 »

I think suitable under garments are still required at Yetminster, Chetnole and Thornford :-)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 17:45:08 »

Three pairs of red boxer shorts, then - quick, 'while stocks last'! - See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-PAIRS-MEN-S-RED-THAI-SILK-BOXER-SHORTS-30-32-MEDIUM-/180576429614  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 18:51:11 »

Are you gonna model them at the next Forum meet up then,Chris ??
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 19:31:30 »

Three pairs of red boxer shorts, then - quick, 'while stocks last'! - See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-PAIRS-MEN-S-RED-THAI-SILK-BOXER-SHORTS-30-32-MEDIUM-/180576429614  Wink Cheesy Grin

Could I leave a deposit on them?

Now, please!
Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 12:02:04 »

Many thanks for the update, Four Track, Now, and thanks for the additional information inspector_blakey.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, not sure what happened to the last couple of months...

Does anyone know where I can find references to historical timetables? The reason I ask is that I was just consulting Wikipedia to look at passenger usage for AVF over the years (wondering if the increase was partially or wholly responsible for the change?) and I noticed that the article is now slightly out of date, as it still refers to AVF as a request stop. I've searched google for old FGW (First Great Western) timetables to try and pinpoint when the change occurred for the purposes of updating the article, but all references seem to have been removed or refer to current timetables. I'm probably missing something obvious...

Thanks again for any help.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 15:00:25 »

Does anyone know where I can find references to historical timetables? The reason I ask is that I was just consulting Wikipedia to look at passenger usage for AVF over the years (wondering if the increase was partially or wholly responsible for the change?) and I noticed that the article is now slightly out of date, as it still refers to AVF as a request stop.

Not any more.

Now, please!
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 16:24:13 »

23rd May 2011 comes to mind, although I'm not sure why because I thought timetables changed on sundays and that day wasn't!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 20:52:26 »

While I am obviously reluctant to acknowledge the existence of any railway-related forum other than the Coffee Shop ( Roll Eyes ), I can offer the following suggestion that it was indeed with effect from May 2011 - see RailUKforumsEmbarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Godfrey Tables

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:58:10 »

Not any more.
Thanks FTN

I can offer the following suggestion that it was indeed with effect from May 2011
Goodness! I didn't realise it changed as long ago as that
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: