Train RunningShort Run
15:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:30:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[93] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[40] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[7] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles opens Kemble Station garden. (BBC News 25/07/2013)  (Read 13548 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2013, 18:27:52 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The Prince of Wales has visited a Gloucestershire railway station and received further congratulations on becoming a grandfather.

Prince Charles travelled to Kemble Railway Station, 10 miles (16km) from his Highgrove home, to officially open the once-derelict station garden.

There, he was shown how the station garden had been brought back to life.

The prince was presented with a card, flowers and soft toys as the small crowd passed on congratulations.

'Fantastic grandfather'

He told George Austin, 9, that it was a "great moment" when he met his grandson adding "it's fun to be a grandfather".

Sue Skinner, the grandmother of George, lives in Kemble and was visiting the station with her husband Peter and two grandchildren.

"I think he will make the most fantastic grandfather. He was brilliant with these two. Being a grandparent is very special," she said.

Brothers Oliver Horne, 4, and Daniel, 22 months, presented the prince with a card offering him congratulations on becoming a grandfather.

Their mother, Nicola Horne, 38, who lives in Cirencester, said she thought he was really touched.

"He asked Oliver 'Have you got a granny and grandad?' and Oliver told him he had", she said.

"It was great for the boys to meet him, they love the new baby and were so excited to see him on the television."

The Kemble garden, which includes a dry stone wall with built-in seating, was designed by local company Designspace Outdoors and worked on by staff and students from the Royal Agricultural University in Cirencester.

First Great Western undertook the work to improve the station and community environment.

During a short speech, the prince said he was "thrilled" to officially open the garden and paid tribute to Dawn Adams, a grandmother of 12, who has campaigned since 2001 to see the garden brought back to life.

Nice to see a few more plants and a few less weeds, which was what I saw on my visit to Kemble station on 5th June this year. The garden will no doubt look amazing once the plants start to grow out.

Sadly, when I visited, I got neither a meet and greet with local dignitaries or a commemorative plaque.  Cheesy

Kemble is a gem of a station, beautifully kept and maintained. A credit to all the staff involved in its presentation. If only more FGW (First Great Western) stations had such care and attention....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 22:04:28 »

Intrigued to know how the health & safety gurus managed to get permission to cover over that manhole cover in time for the Prince's visit.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:47:04 »

Possibly only for the few minutes he was there?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:55:57 »

Kemble is a gem of a station, beautifully kept and maintained. A credit to all the staff involved in its presentation. If only more FGW (First Great Western) stations had such care and attention....

Be even nicer if you could change there for Ciren and Tetbury... Smiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 19:33:10 »

..and for the sake of clarity and continuity as someone from this parish would say (and he does like Kemble too!) - the manhole cover was back in evidence this morning

I only had five minutes between trains but I couldn't see a plaque to say our future King had officially opened it, but then me eyes ain't as good as they used to be....
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 20:27:40 »

..and for the sake of clarity and continuity as someone from this parish would say (and he does like Kemble too!) - the manhole cover was back in evidence this morning

Can't you get maintenance covers in the form of a tray, so that you can fill them with gravel or pavers? Perhaps we should club together and buy them one?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 21:15:02 »

I'm wondering why it was felt necessary to temporarily cover it in the first place.

Were Brian's security detail afeared of militant republicans coming up from the sewers?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 22:05:08 »

I'm wondering why it was felt necessary to temporarily cover it in the first place.

Were Brian's security detail afeared of militant republicans coming up from the sewers?

Well as you will know, they breed in the sewers, and eventually you get evil-smelling flocks of huge soiled militant republicans flying out of people^s inspection covers infringing their personal freedom.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 23:21:11 »

Can't you get maintenance covers in the form of a tray, so that you can fill them with gravel or pavers? Perhaps we should club together and buy them one?

You can indeed, but they are not rigid enough and so they get stuck and you cannot open them. Also if you just filled them with gravel you would not be able to see them so it would be difficult to find when you needed it.  I know you could have a good plan but it would just get lost and never be made available to the bloke sent to sort any problem.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 00:57:41 »

..and for the sake of clarity and continuity as someone from this parish would say (and he does like Kemble too!) ...

... that'll be me, then?  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:42:45 »

Could the photo simply have been photoshopped?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 13:49:31 »

Possibly.

The following ITV West Country news report briefly shows the drain cover in one shot. I'd assume the shot (at 1:19) was taken on the same day as HRH's visit. The shot could, however, be from before or after the royal visit; pre- or post- temporary replacement.

http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2013-07-25/full-report-on-prince-charles-visit-to-kemble/

But photoshopping of the Press Association image is just as likely.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 15:02:31 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 09:07:26 »

The Press Association and/or BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) photoshopped the image.

I was intrigued enough to contact the garden redevelopment team leader, and received the following response:

Hi Phil

Thanks for your email and for your interest in our project at Kemble.

I was present at the opening and can confirm the drain cover was still in place and uncovered. From looking at your photos, I think the only conclusion is that the camera angle played tricks in this regard.

I do hope you have chance to travel through Kemble at some stage to enjoy our garden and thanks again for your interest.

Kind regards

Sarah Tennant-Bell
Liaison Officer

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 19:47:21 »

Hmm ...  Roll Eyes

That's not a camera angle playing tricks.  Lips sealed

I think the Kemble station garden redevelopment team leader is being commendably diplomatic in her response.

I do, however, share her hope that I, too, will have the opportunity to travel through Kemble again fairly soon!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 21:01:50 »

As if we didn't have enough controversy with HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))...

Of course, no-one will be travelling through Kemble for a little while just now, despite the kind sentiments expressed by Ms Tennant-Bell.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: