17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 22:40:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: One less HST stopping at Maidenhead from August 10th - pm?  (Read 52509 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2013, 10:12:47 »

The running time Maidenhead Taplow for a a non defensive driver is 21/2 minutes, but it would goobble fuel.

Electric time should be 3 minutes.

I always reckoned the 07:23 to Padd stopping at Burnham Slough Hayes Ealing Broadway (7: 49) in NSE (Network South East) days had around 4 minutes in hand from Taplow  to Ealing.

The 7 minutes 07:49 - 07:56 from Ealing to Padd was a bit tight and required a clear run, but it's much better than the 12/13 minutes you get nowadays.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 10:33:22 »

You can't timetable extra trains in case of cancellation! How would that work for every station across the network? Maidenhead pax are no more important than any other station's commuters!

Everyone wants fast trains and a trade off will always be necessary. Would suggest more pax travel from Surbiton for a start....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:44 »

I think Maidenhead stands to gain off-peak come the arrival of Crossrail with the 4tph of Crossrail supplemented by the 2tph planned 'semi-fast' Greater Western services, presumably stopping at Slough, maybe Hayes, then Ealing Broadway.  There might also be the planned 2tph shuttle as far as Slough if the powers that be don't see sense and extend Crossrail to Reading from the outset.

The peak hour service is more questionable.  How many passengers will transfer to Crossrail knowing the journey time to Paddington will be around 37 minutes instead of just over 20 by fast train at the moment - but then they can stay on that same train and get direct to Farrington in 44 minutes or Canary Wharf in 54 minutes?  I'm guessing even the timetable modellers will have a hard time working out who will do what to any precise degree, but surveys to find out where people on the GW (Great Western) route actually go to work should determine the rough percentages.

My guess is that there won't be the demand for fast services that there is now, but there will still be enough people wanting to go direct to Paddington that fast peak trains (by which I mean a maximum of one stop at Slough and a journey time of 25 minutes or less) will still be provided from Maidenhead at similar intervals to now.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2013, 11:00:34 »

The running time Maidenhead Taplow for a a non defensive driver is 21/2 minutes, but it would goobble fuel.

Electric time should be 3 minutes.

I always reckoned the 07:23 to Padd stopping at Burnham Slough Hayes Ealing Broadway (7: 49) in NSE (Network South East) days had around 4 minutes in hand from Taplow  to Ealing.

The 7 minutes 07:49 - 07:56 from Ealing to Padd was a bit tight and required a clear run, but it's much better than the 12/13 minutes you get nowadays.

If it is 2 and half minutes, then the pdf timetable 8 is incorrect. I think the reason being is that fgw are trying to shave some minutes on the 0935 (formally 0932) so it doesnt take over 45 minutes but instead takes 41 minutes....
Also the time between ealing broadway and london paddington is silly. Problem with that is the silly greenford shuttle is in the way, made worse by calling at Acton Mainline. You come to London Paddington where the train waits for another train to depart thats blocking its path into either platforms 12/13 or 14 once cleared which takes i dunno 3-5 minutes. obviously there is nothing that can be done to improve the situation, until crossrail makes an appearence.

Now, I remember the First Great Western Link days (possibly thames trains also operated this timetable, although not sure about Network Southeast).

There were trains at these times, right;
1004, 1015, 1034, 1045 and so on.
Now the 1004 (i think) called at Taplow, Burnham, Slough, Hayes and Harlington and Ealing Broadway arriving at London Paddington at around 1042?
FGWL didnt have West Drayton in this service, however it now calls additionally at West Drayton for some unknown reason and departs 2 minutes earlier from Maidenhead at 1002 and arrives at 1046. So yes i agree with you totally the old days were the best, why FGW (First Great Western) didnt retain the previous thames trains and fgwl timetable is beyond me...

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
James

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2013, 11:15:23 »

You can't timetable extra trains in case of cancellation! How would that work for every station across the network? Maidenhead pax are no more important than any other station's commuters!

Everyone wants fast trains and a trade off will always be necessary. Would suggest more pax travel from Surbiton for a start....

Yes, well if it balances out the passenger load on fast services into london then i would also agree that people look at that option.
If they cannot be any further fast trains from Maidenhead then add additional coaches... Oh wait theres a lack of them... ok what about pacers for thames valley routes that will make additional capacity wont it?, or are they banned from the thames valley? Why is planning a rail system this bad? I suppose its something to do with budget cuts...

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2013, 11:16:22 »

Now the 1004 (i think) called at Taplow, Burnham, Slough, Hayes and Harlington and Ealing Broadway arriving at London Paddington at around 1042?
FGWL didnt have West Drayton in this service, however it now calls additionally at West Drayton for some unknown reason and departs 2 minutes earlier from Maidenhead at 1002 and arrives at 1046. So yes i agree with you totally the old days were the best, why FGW (First Great Western) didnt retain the previous thames trains and fgwl timetable is beyond me...

The advent of Heathrow Connect meant that West Drayton, Iver and Langley had to be served by longer distance trains as the Slough stoppers were withdrawn.  The extended journey times from stations such as Twyford, Maidenhead, Taplow, Burnham and Slough are indeed disappointing, but as usual there are also many positive aspects to the current timetable to that which was in operation around ten years ago:

• West Drayton has now grown to the stage that a stopping train every 30 minutes (as was the case in this timetable you want reinstating) would be totally inadequate as they now enjoy twice as many trains which are faster.
  • West Drayton, Langley and Iver passengers now have a direct service to Maidenhead, Reading and Oxford
  • Taplow used to only have one train per hour, now it has two
  • Hayes now has an extra train each hour

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
James

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:39 »

I think Maidenhead stands to gain off-peak come the arrival of Crossrail with the 4tph of Crossrail supplemented by the 2tph planned 'semi-fast' Greater Western services, presumably stopping at Slough, maybe Hayes, then Ealing Broadway.  There might also be the planned 2tph shuttle as far as Slough if the powers that be don't see sense and extend Crossrail to Reading from the outset.

The peak hour service is more questionable.  How many passengers will transfer to Crossrail knowing the journey time to Paddington will be around 37 minutes instead of just over 20 by fast train at the moment - but then they can stay on that same train and get direct to Farrington in 44 minutes or Canary Wharf in 54 minutes?  I'm guessing even the timetable modellers will have a hard time working out who will do what to any precise degree, but surveys to find out where people on the GW (Great Western) route actually go to work should determine the rough percentages.

My guess is that there won't be the demand for fast services that there is now, but there will still be enough people wanting to go direct to Paddington that fast peak trains (by which I mean a maximum of one stop at Slough and a journey time of 25 minutes or less) will still be provided from Maidenhead at similar intervals to now.

Ye i agree, just a mess to be honest, but anyway what comes will need to be accepted if trains call additionally at Slough then at least its something.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:50 »

If they cannot be any further fast trains from Maidenhead then add additional coaches... Oh wait theres a lack of them... ok what about pacers for thames valley routes that will make additional capacity wont it?, or are they banned from the thames valley? Why is planning a rail system this bad? I suppose its something to do with budget cuts...

You're right - all to do with mammoth underinvestment in rail over decades.

But you can see the taxpayer's (read Govt of the day) point - why should anyone north of, say, Banbury have their tax-pounds spent on rail in areas that they'll never use it?.....Also, you might be surprised to learn that the GWL isn't the only line with this problem either....
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2013, 11:44:17 »

Everyone wants fast trains ...

Bzzzt! No they don't.

I would rather a nice  regular, on time, comfy, air conditioned, spacious (by which I mean sufficient carriages for the passengers, not massive armchairs and tables!) slow stopper, over fast trains requiring changes, any day of the week.

Call me old fashioned, but if I am paying through the nose for something, then I want to get as much out of it as possible!
James

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:28 »

The advent of Heathrow Connect meant that West Drayton, Iver and Langley had to be served by longer distance trains as the Slough stoppers were withdrawn.  The extended journey times from stations such as Twyford, Maidenhead, Taplow, Burnham and Slough are indeed disappointing, but as usual there are also many positive aspects to the current timetable to that which was in operation around ten years ago:

• West Drayton has now grown to the stage that a stopping train every 30 minutes (as was the case in this timetable you want reinstating) would be totally inadequate as they now enjoy twice as many trains which are faster.
  • West Drayton, Langley and Iver passengers now have a direct service to Maidenhead, Reading and Oxford
FGWL didnt have West Drayton in this service, however it now calls additionally at West Drayton for some unknown reason and departs 2 minutes earlier from Maidenhead at 1002 and arrives at 1046. So yes i agree with you totally the old days were the best, why FGW didnt retain the previous thames trains and fgwl timetable is beyond me...

This is what is so difficult. Got to give everyone a decent service, which is fair enough.
Ok this is what i would do. I would;
^ Insert two tracks between Hayes and Harlington and London Paddington (low level). Also requires an additional two platforms to make 4 platforms (2 for slow and 2 for fast services).
Clear the whole Paddington area from those houses and build the houses or flats on top of the railway.
^ Then rebuild Acton Mainline to insert 2 further tracks
^ Then at Ealing Broadway redevelop the whole area, moving the house and flats over the railway towards the east of Ealing Broadway. Then remodel the tube layout by moving it northwards.
^ At West Ealing, Hanwell and Southall remodel the whole area so additional 2 tracks can be inserted.
^ At Hayes and Harlington a total rebuild to provide two platforms for Down Loop Heathrow and Up Loop Heathrow for the fast crossrail lines. The same design applies to the slow crossrail lines. Keep the Flyover, and after the flyover you can bring the two slow crossrail lines onto the fast lines after Hayes via another flyover to link up with the down and up relief lines to remove the conflicts from changing points.
^ Rebuild Slough Station with 4 crossrail platforms, with the other two being for highspeed trains for speeds up to 170mph...
^ Build a dive under west of slough to connect the windsor branch onto the Reading relief line.
^ Rebuild Taplow to a 2 platform station. The other two platforms arent really needed, since when engineering works are running, you have a replacement bus between Slough and Maidenhead.
^ Build turnback siding's at Maidenhead in the middle of the relief lines to allow for 2 tph crossrail services to terminate if disruption occurs.
^ No need to change Twyford, although one additional platform could be constructed for peak services.
And Reading. Now here, theres a few options. Extend some crossrail services to Tilehurst, which needs reverse sidings or terminate them at Reading, by building two dedicated crossrail platforms. Also two through tracks for high speed trains should be inserted, as well as two freight tracks that have two tracks that dont come into platforms, thus speeds can be increased.
Crosscountry trains should have two dedicated platforms of its known.
Thats what should happen in my eyes but i wont happen. Think it has a dream world paradise railway or whatever. After all you can see what benefits you could have by operating this railway or not depending on your view point Smiley

James

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:56 »

You're right - all to do with mammoth underinvestment in rail over decades.

But you can see the taxpayer's (read Govt of the day) point - why should anyone north of, say, Banbury have their tax-pounds spent on rail in areas that they'll never use it?.....Also, you might be surprised to learn that the GWL isn't the only line with this problem either....

Yes i'll admit and hold my hands up,  that i saw problems elsewhere in the UK (United Kingdom). Although again i say its due to bad planning...

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2013, 20:35:26 »

^ Insert two tracks between Hayes and Harlington and London Paddington (low level). Also requires an additional two platforms to make 4 platforms (2 for slow and 2 for fast services).
Clear the whole Paddington area from those houses and build the houses or flats on top of the railway.
^ Then at Ealing Broadway redevelop the whole area, moving the house and flats over the railway towards the east of Ealing Broadway. Then remodel the tube layout by moving it northwards.
^ At West Ealing, Hanwell and Southall remodel the whole area so additional 2 tracks can be inserted.
^ At Hayes and Harlington a total rebuild to provide two platforms for Down Loop Heathrow and Up Loop Heathrow for the fast crossrail lines. The same design applies to the slow crossrail lines. Keep the Flyover, and after the flyover you can bring the two slow crossrail lines onto the fast lines after Hayes via another flyover to link up with the down and up relief lines to remove the conflicts from changing points.
^ Rebuild Slough Station with 4 crossrail platforms, with the other two being for highspeed trains for speeds up to 170mph...
^ Build a dive under west of slough to connect the windsor branch onto the Reading relief line.
^ Rebuild Taplow to a 2 platform station. The other two platforms arent really needed, since when engineering works are running, you have a replacement bus between Slough and Maidenhead.
^ Build turnback siding's at Maidenhead in the middle of the relief lines to allow for 2 tph crossrail services to terminate if disruption occurs.
^ No need to change Twyford, although one additional platform could be constructed for peak services.
And Reading. Now here, theres a few options. Extend some crossrail services to Tilehurst, which needs reverse sidings or terminate them at Reading, by building two dedicated crossrail platforms. Also two through tracks for high speed trains should be inserted, as well as two freight tracks that have two tracks that dont come into platforms, thus speeds can be increased.

Just as a matter of interest, James: have you costed any, or indeed all, of those projects?  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
James

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2013, 21:31:09 »

Just as a matter of interest, James: have you costed any, or indeed all, of those projects?  Wink Cheesy Grin
I didnt bother doing that, as it was a draft idea at the back of my head. However if i did bother to cost it i reckon it will be in the billions, and not sure the local population would like to move (even if it is only a metres away from where they currently live).
Also they wouldnt accept the compensation even if it was reasonable, cause life is worth more than dollars, opps pounds Smiley
At the end of the day a better and improved railway will make people happy and cheerful right?   Grin

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2013, 21:37:21 »

At the end of the day a better and improved railway will make people happy and cheerful right?   Grin

Ask some of those living near the proposed route of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and I think you might get a different answer.
James

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2013, 21:44:05 »

Ask some of those living near the proposed route of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and I think you might get a different answer.

Well ye thats true, however without running off topic for too long, i dont understand why there are no stations proposed in the chilterns, surely this would be built if a station was provided say at Amersham... anyway i finish it there.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: