16:30 London Paddington to Taunton
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 02:39:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: One less HST stopping at Maidenhead from August 10th - pm?  (Read 52513 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 14:24:04 »

Commuters don't necessarily know where their train is going

So how on earth do they find out or check their platform at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) every night? One looks up at the departure board for the time and destination (otherwise you might get on the slow to Oxford, say that leaves at the same time) - so I'm not a follower of your statement.

Or you listen for an announcement (but still have to check that it's going where you want at the speed you want, so however sub-consciously, do note the destination)

If you don't think that timetable is complete, how do you know that a stop isn't going to be put in? The poster when it arrives may well inform of such? And if it does - then all the info required is announced at once, which I suggest is the sensible way of doing this?

In the days before the internet, pax would have still known nowt about this at Maidenhead, and I would suggest that as long as it is all covered off in the poster when it goes up, that 10 days is ample notice.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 14:37:32 »

Perhaps I'm just a simpleton, but if I'm travelling to Maidenhead I look for Maidenhead being the first stop.  I couldn't give a monkey's if the final destination is Reading, Oxford, Cheltenham or Penzance.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 14:39:47 »

I suspect most people do that - but there are a few who look at the final destination... including someone I saw at Swindon on Monday who saw the train was going to London Paddington and so assumed it stopped at Reading, only to find as it was pulling out that it is the one train a day which runs fast to London....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 15:06:27 »

Quote from:  IndustryInsider
Commuters don't necessarily know where their train is going

So how on earth do they find out or check their platform at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) every night? One looks up at the departure board for the time and destination (otherwise you might get on the slow to Oxford, say that leaves at the same time) - so I'm not a follower of your statement.

Here's your answer:

Perhaps I'm just a simpleton, but if I'm travelling to Maidenhead I look for Maidenhead being the first stop.  I couldn't give a monkey's if the final destination is Reading, Oxford, Cheltenham or Penzance.

And perhaps others look at the next fastest train boards at Paddington for 'Maidenhead'?  No mention of the eventual destination on those. 

If you don't think that timetable is complete, how do you know that a stop isn't going to be put in?

Through searching the online timetables.  Had I not been prompted by Jo's post of yesterday though, I wouldn't have had a clue!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 15:28:35 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 15:15:30 »

Guys at the end of the day one way or another you will get home!
For me it doesn't matter at all what train it is, as long as it's going in the right direction then i am happy.
However if people are really unhappy with the turbo's then why not run an Adelante FGW (First Great Western), then people may be happy!
After all 20 mins between Paddington and Maidenhead on a turbo isn't that bad surely Smiley

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 15:17:50 »

All stock is in use during the peaks, so no Adelante.

Is Maidenhead one of the destinations on the 'Next Fastest train to'? Not sure it is.

I still maintain that 10 days is sufficient notice though, regardless
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 15:19:00 »

After all 20 mins between Paddington and Maidenhead on a turbo isn't that bad surely Smiley

If it actually took 20mins on a turbo, I might agree...   Cheesy
James

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 15:24:41 »

haha Smiley

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
James

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 15:33:01 »

Chris B, after all Maidenhead isn't that important is it. Why does it need a screen for 'next fastest train' when fgw doesn't bother to supply one Smiley. Might as well just guess the next fast train to Maidenhead, will be that nice shiny HST (High Speed Train) from that platform 9, and then lets go on a merry tour Smiley.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 15:47:57 »

That's exactly why I suggested pax look at the destination board for their train?....

This really is a non-discussion.

In the days pre-internet, no one would have heard yet about this. Posters generally go up around 10 days in advance which was considered fine in those days, so what's so different now?

It is holiday season in August, so the work can be considered to be done at the best time. It might not even be particularly hot by then, considering the vaguaries of the British Summer.
James

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 15:57:23 »

Chris, times have changed, i don't think pieces of poster will help, as most of the time especially at Maidenhead the information is hidden away. Best to send the information to people's email addresses or send it through the post. Also it's a waste and i thought Train operators where meant to go green?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 16:01:54 »

All stock is in use during the peaks, so no Adelante.

Surprising.

There are usually at least 3 x HSTs (High Speed Train) running up and down all day between Paddington and Cheltenham, and in the peak too. And then there are 2 x 15x units running between Swindon and Cheltenham Spa too.  Does each of those 5 trains still have a diagram during the engineering period?   For the most part, I see an hourly Kemble to Gloucester shuttle which can take two trains, and London to Gloucester / Cheltenham offering which involves a change for the most part at Bristol Parkway onto CrossCountry services.  That will be using South Wales services from Paddington - so what will the HSTs be doing?  One or two may be reversing at Parkway in the peak for Cheltenham, but surely not all three?  If it was all three, then one would be on a 19:48 off Paddington

No Adelantes, I agree
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 16:08:00 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 16:06:48 »

During a normal peak, yes.

How many alight from that train generally? It's not in the peak, it's right at the end of the shoulder-peak. Then there's the holiday season too, for crew as well as pax. They may well have allowed extra staff to take time off during this work.

They may still be intending to run something?....why don't we wait & see?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 16:13:11 »

They may still be intending to run something?....why don't we wait & see?

OK.   And I do agree that some commuter services can be (and are) reduced in summer, such as the 08:16 arrival from Bristol into Paddington, which ceased to run on 5th July and resumes on 2nd September.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 16:32:50 »

Not that it will have been factored into the planning for this blockade but I think there is a shortage of HST (High Speed Train) sets at the moment.  I was told one is out of traffic at Laira after being involved in the fatality in Cornwall on Monday night (that wasn't discovered until the following morning) and there do seem to have been a number of cancellations from Paddington in recent nights.  One yesterday was advertised four hours before it was due to leave so there must be some sort of problem.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: