Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:17:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: One less HST stopping at Maidenhead from August 10th - pm?  (Read 52492 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2013, 22:31:23 »

It looks as if there are major works from Swindon to Kemble from 10th August meaning that there is one less HST (High Speed Train) stopping at Maidenhead from Paddington in the evening (one left out of two then) from 10th August until 1st September..

Does anyone know if the missing train (19.48 from Paddington) is going to be replaced with anything?

I've seen no information about this at Maidenhead.. I only know as someone told me..

Brilliant... Huh
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 22:53:08 »

Does anyone know if the missing train (19.48 from Paddington) is going to be replaced with anything?

Doesn't look like it.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 22:56:14 »

Excellent.. FGW (First Great Western) know how to look after their passengers (not)

I guess that is why they are not communicating it to us then.. so it comes as a "nice" surprise  Angry
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 23:10:53 »

Do the people of Maidenhead who commute into London not have holidays or do none of them have them in August?

Perhaps the school holidays in Maidenhead are different to the rest of the country?

Or could it be that there will be fewer people wanting to travel between Paddington and Maidenhead at this time?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 23:16:04 »

Not all of us and not 3 weeks all at the same time I guess? Does that happen in other towns then?  Roll Eyes

If it's hot in August.. And since I don't want to be fried to death.. the HSTs (High Speed Train) are my only option that makes it certain that I won't be for those three weeks if it turns out to be a little warm during that time
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 23:17:27 »

And no excuse for no communication anyway
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 06:52:30 »

Timetable leaflet for the three weeks at

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/Planned%20Changes/Timetable%20booklets/Full%20Swindon%20Kemble%20Engineering%20Leaflet%20-%20WEB.ashx

but there's no mention in there of what I'll describe as "associated" amendments.  I do also have details of changes which will effect the services between West Wilts (Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge and Melksham) and Chippenham and Swindon, which I'll post as separate threads in the boards associated with those lines.

I would contend that major changes get longer-advanced publicity.   A returning Reading to Stroud commuter in late August will leave Reading at 17:12 and get to Stroud at 19:00, or if (s)he misses that have to wait for the 18:44 (Stroud 20:24).  As against a regular commute off the 17:12 getting in at 18:22, or a direct train at 18:18 getting in at 19:22.  This sort of stuff - a peak gap of an hour and a half, and home an hour later than normal - is out there already.

Less major changes get shorter publicity.  There's probably not the same need for people to know well ahead - perhaps so well ahead that some will forget / get confused - for the changes that won't drop people back / hold them up as long.   You may well find posters going up that include the changes - they're probably planned, probably not as prominent in that the change will be included in other engineering works lists.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 07:55:51 »

Not all of us and not 3 weeks all at the same time I guess? Does that happen in other towns then?  Roll Eyes

If it's hot in August.. And since I don't want to be fried to death.. the HSTs (High Speed Train) are my only option that makes it certain that I won't be for those three weeks if it turns out to be a little warm during that time

It is the case that during the peak times in August there are noticeably less people on trains around where I live and although most do not have 3 weeks they stagger their holidays throughout the school holidays so the reduction is over a longer period. 

Its usually a shock when the holidays end and the trains are more crowded again!

And no excuse for no communication anyway

Agreed
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:54:40 »

Awww - I am NOT happy about this. 

The 19.48 is not only the most pleasant journey out of Paddington all day, but is also the last fast train of the evening.  This will mean that I am stuffed on to some crappy stopping service with the windows sealed shut.

So what if less people use a service through summer - in case it isn't obvious commuters appreciate the slightly less awful conditions and don't want operators to artificially recreate the battery-hen conditions of the rest of the year by withdrawing services.

FGW (First Great Western) make me so so so angry in so so so many ways.  Maybe they'd like me to get out and push?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 11:02:07 »

Why not suggest to FGW (First Great Western) a temporary extra stop at Maidenhead on the 19:45 to Plymouth or the 20:00 to Bristol?  The 19:50 to Banbury could even stop there, but that's only a 3-car Turbo so might not be the best solution!

Either way, this is just the sort of change of service that should be plastered all over Maidenhead station on posters.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 11:09:07 »

It probably will be nearer the 10th....prob next week, I'd say.

Major works (redoubling the South Cotswolds) means some disruption, and whatever anyone says, August IS the quietest month for travel. Commuters know where their train goes, and those on here can't have missed us talking about these works. If you really needed more than 10 days notice, you could have put 2 and 2 together & checked the FGW (First Great Western) website. That timetable has been around a while, showing thattrain missing.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 11:33:38 »

Commuters know where their train goes, and those on here can't have missed us talking about these works. If you really needed more than 10 days notice, you could have put 2 and 2 together & checked the FGW (First Great Western) website. That timetable has been around a while, showing thattrain missing.

I can say in all honesty that I was completely unaware.  And I'm someone who tries to keep up with things.  I would say with some authority that at 19.47 on 10th August there will be a lot of very very vexed passengers at Paddington so FGW need to up their game significantly.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 11:44:56 »

As I said, it'll be quite unusual if posters don't materialise at Maidenhead prior to this change.

If they were already up, what changes would you have already arranged to make that couldn't be made in the next few days?
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 12:30:18 »

As I said, it'll be quite unusual if posters don't materialise at Maidenhead prior to this change.

If they were already up, what changes would you have already arranged to make that couldn't be made in the next few days?

Why not take a customer-oriented approach ?  Rather than putting up posters advising of a service interruption, instead provide an alternative.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 12:36:21 »

Commuters know where their train goes, and those on here can't have missed us talking about these works. If you really needed more than 10 days notice, you could have put 2 and 2 together & checked the FGW (First Great Western) website. That timetable has been around a while, showing thattrain missing.

Like NickB, I fear there will be many passengers caught out.  Commuters don't necessarily know where their train is going (and over what route as most Worcester trains don't go via Swindon!) when they have, say, a dozen different train home possibilities every night many going to different destinations.  Unless I'm missing something, the replacement timetable on the website makes no mention of Maidenhead at all.  The website alterations summary makes no mention of Maidenhead and that specific train at all.  And finally, the online .pdf timetable for London to Maidenhead services makes no mention of changes to this train at all, or that services may be altered due to the works (as the London to Cheltenham timetable does).

For those reasons I think, at the very least, Maidenhead should be covered in posters now.  And serious considerations should be given to a special stop on the 19:45 or 20:00 departures instead as 'gpn01' has suggested would be the customer friendly approach.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: