Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 06:26:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • RAIB Talk - WWRUG: September 25, 2013
  • WWRUG / talk by I Mundy: November 21, 2013
  • WWRUG - Dan Okey of FGW @ TRO: January 22, 2014
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: West Wilts Rail User Group - upcoming meetings  (Read 50803 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 22:13:23 »

I've said it before. Rail tickets, their pricing and their routeings often defy logic. I'm sure a Chippenham to Bath Spa fare is only intended to be used on the direct route, but the routeing printed on the ticket is 'Any Permitted' and when that is the case then passengers are allowed, under the terms of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage Condition 13(iii), to consult the Routeing Guide to see what routes are permitted.

My experience of the conductors on the TransWilts service has been nothing but positive. I'm fairly confident you'll have no problem with the ticket. There's a good chance that I may make my way to Trowbridge next Weds on the same train, and I'll be returning to Bristol via the Avon Valley, so I'll be happy to back you up!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 08:45:27 »

Fare structure on the Bath Spa / Chippenham / Trowbridge triangle owes much to changes some 40 years ago, when the Intercity 125 was being introduced, and the Chippenham to Trowbridge section only carried a single summer saturday service,  variously running Wolverhampton or Derby to Weymouth and back hauled, I suspect, by a class 35 Hymek on most occasions.  On top of that structure, fares were added in 1985 from what was at that time a newly reopened Melksham station, from where the highlighted destination was Swindon, to which there was a true peak service (it left Melksham some 45 minutes after the service does these days, and returned from Swindon over an hour earlier, making for a practical commute).

With that background, it's little wonder that anomalies are rife!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29:10 »

I've said it before. Rail tickets, their pricing and their routeings often defy logic. I'm sure a Chippenham to Bath Spa fare is only intended to be used on the direct route, but the routeing printed on the ticket is 'Any Permitted' and when that is the case then passengers are allowed, under the terms of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage Condition 13(iii), to consult the Routeing Guide to see what routes are permitted.

On occasions when the 06:41 Chippenham to Bath Spa has been cancelled, tickets have been accepted without question on the 06:29 departure, change at Trowbridge.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 17:56:04 »

And today I discover another bit of rail ticket pricing that defies logic.

On all occasions when I've travelled over the Trans-Wilts in the past year I've been using a Rover/Ranger of one sort or another. For this meeting though I'll need a point-to-point ticket and the best option is a return to Melksham where I travel out via Chippenham, switch to the return portion after the Melksham stop, break my return journey at Trowbridge for the meeting, and then continue home later via the Avon Valley and Bath Spa. What origin do I need?

Well I'm going to be in Bristol late afternoon, so Bristol TM(resolve) - Melksham Off Peak Day Return @ ^10.50 would fit the bill.

But wait, I do like to check for alternatives, just in case. So let's try a Severn Beach Line station as the origin instead. St Andrew's Road - Melksham Off Peak Day Return @ ^8.70.  Shocked Roll Eyes

So, for all those Off Peak Day Return trips to Bristol/Melksham and vice versa that are going to be possible after 8th December, a ticket to/from a Severn Beach Line station will be cheaper than one to/from Bristol TM. Worth remembering!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 18:02:26 »

See you at Trowbridge.  I've got a Thames Rover and a Bedwyn to Trowbridge advance....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 21:44:36 »

See you at Trowbridge ...

So will I - with a simple Anytime return from NLS to TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains) at ^13.10.  Roll Eyes Wink Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 22:18:07 »

So will I - with a simple Anytime return from NLS to TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains) at ^13.10.  Roll Eyes Wink Grin

Another good one is that. The Anytime Day Return (SDR) (Any Permitted) @ ^13.10 is cheaper than the, nominally, more restrictive Off Peak Day Return (via Bath Spa) @ ^13.60.  Roll Eyes And cheaper again than the SDR (via Bath Spa) @ ^16.40.  Roll Eyes

And don't forget, you can buy an Off Peak Day Return from NLS-MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) for ^10.60. Perfectly valid to Trowbridge to end short. Or do the same as me - Out via Chippenham and Melksham, straight onto return portion, break journey at Trowbridge and resume return later via Avon Valley.

Quite why there needs to be a via Bath Spa routeing on many flows from Bristol and surrounding areas to Wiltshire stations perplexes me. Particularly when, in this case the via Bath Spa fares are more expensive than the Any Permitted. The only thing via Bath Spa prevents is journeys via Bristol Parkway and Swindon to Melksham, Trowbridge and Westbury. This is already prevented by the Routeing Guide. Even Bristol Parkway to Melksham and Trowbridge requires a journey via Bath Spa, despite it potentially being quicker, and with only one change, to travel via Swindon.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 23:43:01 »

An update on that particular meeting:

The guest speaker, Richard Harrington, of the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, was really excellent.  He gave us a detailed explanation of the work of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) and invited questions from the audience as he spoke.  Many of the audience availed themselves of this invitation, and Richard dealt with each of them in detail, before returning almost seamlessly to his presentation.  The result was a lively and very educational evening, with a fascinating presentation that overran slightly - for all the best reasons!  My thanks to Richard Harrington himself, and to Roger Newman and the West Wiltshire Rail Users Group for arranging the event.

Several of us from this forum attended that meeting - me (obviously) as well as bobm, bignosemac and John R.

Which brings me to an interesting point. I met up with bignosemac at Bristol Temple Meads and we joined the (slightly delayed) 18:30 towards Chippenham. By Bath Spa, that delay had increased a bit, so I suggested that we opt for the local stopper to Trowbridge, rather than risk missing our connection at Chippenham for the via Melksham service we had planned to use.  Almost inevitably, the local stopper was also running a bit late, but no problem: we caught that, so at least we'd be sure of getting to Trowbridge, even if we might arrive at the venue a little late.

All was going well, I thought, until the conductor appeared at the end of the carriage for a ticket check, as we were trundling between Avoncliff and Bradford-on-Avon.  At that point, bignosemac handed me his rucksack and tried to disappear under his seat - only his ample girth rendering this somewhat difficult.  I, and several other passengers, watched his antics with some amusement, I have to say.

I warned Justin 'bignosemac' that I would publish that anecdote here, if only to give him the opportunity to explain himself.  Tongue Wink Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 00:25:34 »

I WAS NOT hiding from the conductor, and the implication that I was is scurrilous. Shocked Tongue Grin

On seeing him, I reached into the back pocket of my trousers for my ticket wallet. I failed to get a decent grip of it and it slipped down the narrow gap at the side of my window seat. As we were sat in an airline row that backed onto a table of four it was very difficult to retrieve. Made doubly so because of the under seat equipment (possibly aircon). Trying to fish it out from my seated position proved impossible due to the narrow gap, although I did recover an empty cigarette pack and a couple of fluff covered fizzy cola bottle sweets.

Nothing for it but to ask CfN to stand up to give me some room to get right down on my belly and seek out the wallet. Initially I could see it but couldn't reach it. After some minor contortion I was able to retrieve it.

As to the meeting, I echo chris from nailsea words. A fascinating and enjoyable presentation. Richard Harrington was indeed seamless following comments and questions from the audience - more than one or two from me. I find this way of presentation much more inclusive than to deliver an entire lecture then have a Q&A at the end. By the end you may have forgotten what you wanted to ask.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
dickyc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 21:09:22 »

Great to hear that people found the recent talk by Richard Harrington of RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) interesting and informative, so here are details of the next WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) meeting coming up in November!

The next meeting of the West Wiltshire Rail Users Group will be on Thursday 21st November 2013 at Civic Centre, Sambourne Road, Warminster, BA12 8LB. Guest speaker will be Ian Mundy, Publications Manager for First Great Western.

Talk starts at 7.30pm, and coffee is served from 7pm. All are welcome to come along regardless of whether members of WWRUG or not. The Civic Centre is in the town centre, next to the car park of Morrisons supermarket. It is within walking distance of Warminster station - allow around 15 minutes.

Further details, if required, from WWRUG chairman, Roger Newman on Trowbridge (01225) 762337.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:27 »

Dan Okey, FGW (First Great Western) Regional Development Manager, speaks to the West Wilts Rail User Group on 22nd Jan 2014

Meeting scheduled for TROWBRIDGE.

With improved train service on the TransWits line in 2014, I've written to the chairman of the West Wilts Rail User Group asking them to spread their 2014 meetings around all five West Wilts towns - Bradford-on-Avon, Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury and Warminster. I think that is their stated objective ... perhaps dickyc can confirm?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:42:20 by grahame » Logged

dickyc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 18:50:33 »

With improved train service on the TransWits line in 2014, I've written to the chairman of the West Wilts Rail User Group asking them to spread their 2014 meetings around all five West Wilts towns - Bradford-on-Avon, Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury and Warminster. I think that is their stated objective ... perhaps dickyc can confirm?
I've passed this question to the committee and can advise that Melksham is being considered as a venue for future meetings. With five west wilts towns and normally 4 meetings / year it's clearly not going to be possible to hold meetings in all the towns every year - but hopefully Melksham will see its share of meetings in the future. Suits me too, since I work in Melksham! As for future WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) meetings:

The next meeting of the West Wiltshire Rail Users Group will be on Wednesday 22nd January 2014 at Bridge House, Stallard Street, Trowbridge. Guest speaker will be Dan Okey, Regional Development Manager for First Great Western.

Talk starts at 7.30pm, and coffee is served from 7pm. All are welcome to come along regardless of whether members of WWRUG or not.

Further details, if required, from WWRUG chairman, Roger Newman on Trowbridge (01225) 762337.

Looking further ahead, the AGM (Annual General Meeting) is scheduled for Thursday 27th March 2014 and will be at the Swan hotel, Bradford-on-Avon. Guest speaker will be Catherine Phillips from the Heart of Wessex Rail Partnership.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 19:03:22 »

Thank you for organising an excellent speaker in Warminster on Thursday.  A fascinating talk.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 11:08:53 »

I have just received (in the post this morning) my December 2013 newsletter from the West Wiltshire Rail User's group, including in its six pages significant coverage of the recent improvements to services on the TransWilts, and to fares thereon.    It also includes
* a review of the November meeting at which Ian Mundy, Publications Manager, FGW (First Great Western), gave us a fascinating insite into posters, literature and timetables (via carriage labels)
* comment on overcrowding, delivery of diesel fuel for train use by road, changes in local BTP (British Transport Police) team
* Member's journeys to the South of France and Carnforth
* Signalling on the Severn Valley Railway
* And this advert for their next meeting.

Update, 30.12. 2013 - please see the West Wilts Rails User Group's website for the advert - via http://www.wwrug.org.uk

It's worth being a member of the group if you're in (or interested in) the West Wilts area; they have a track record of informing on and supporting existing services, and I'm very happy to see them doing so with such good coverage in this issue for the now-existing TransWits service. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:40:57 by grahame » Logged

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 11:18:08 »

It's worth being a member of the group if you're in (or interested in) the West Wilts area; they have a track record of informing on and supporting existing services, and I'm very happy to see them doing so with such good coverage in this issue for the now-existing TransWits service. 

Out of interest, how does one join?  The website, as we have discussed before, points to this thread.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: