12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 11:34:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[203] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[97] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[89] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[71] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[26] underground plans for Bristol update.
[19] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Strange Occurance  (Read 10310 times)
litecactus

View Profile Email
« on: August 04, 2013, 15:51:07 »

I went to Reading on the train from Twyford,
It was advertised a s "5 coaches" But the doors only opened on the Front 2 coaches. The rear train was dark and no-one was in it.
animationmilo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 16:46:37 »

They would have been moving 2 trains together, but as there as no corrider connection on the 165s/166s and if its not busy it makes sense to only use 2 carriages
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 17:07:24 »

Speculation on my part, but if the rear three coaches were locked out of use, it may have been due to a fault in that particular unit.

Or if the unit had come from Oxford and had to stop at Culham or Appleford the rear unit would have to have been locked out of use, and reopened at Didcot Parkway.... if the driver remembered!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 17:11:51 »

The internal systems (such as for signalling and the Train Running System (TRUST (Train Running System TOPS))) would need to be aware that the train consisted of five coaches, even if only two were available for passenger use. The public information screens would get their information from those internal systems, hence them showing the train as consisting of "5 coaches".

Hope that explains litecactus, and a very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
litecactus

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 18:08:40 »

I Remember that a train was cancelled earlier at Paddington because of a train fault.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 18:34:15 »

It doesn't help that, even if the rear set is locked out of use, the yellow "Doors Open" lights still light up on that set when the train arrives at the station and the Driver releases the doors. This can cause confusion for passengers. It would have been better if 165/166's had been designed so that these lights don't come up on a set which is locked out of use (or even on doors which are locked out of use on a set which is in use). 

I suspect we could all think of quite a few things on 165/166's which could have been designed better .....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 19:14:15 »

Not disagreeing with you, but the 'doors open' lights are not designed to be indications to passengers that the doors are open, although they do get used for that purpose.  They are indications for staff, and can also illuminate to indicate which carriage certain faults have developed in.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 19:47:22 »

As IndustryInsider says, these yellow lights are used by staff. They're known as Cantrail Lights, and unofficially as BILs/DILs.

An illuminated Cantrail light could mean a loss of door interlock, a passcom activation, a fire alarm or a Track Circuit Actuator fault (there are other indications in the driving cab which help identify which is which).

When a door is locked out of use, next to the door both inside and outside of the carriage is an illuminated sign in red lettering saying that the door is out of use.
litecactus

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 20:00:25 »

They would have been moving 2 trains together, but as there as no corrider connection on the 165s/166s and if its not busy it makes sense to only use 2 carriages
The train Was Standing Room only. Also on a Sunday Trains to Oxford are normally 5 coaches long.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 20:36:20 »

Without knowing which train it's hard to speculate why the rear three carriages were locked out of use, though it's entirely possible just one set of doors had failed, which if it's the 'wrong' set of doors on a 165/6 can mean having to take the whole train out of use these days!  If there had been an earlier failure, then that set could also have been hooked on the back to get it back to the depot.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 18:29:55 »

As IndustryInsider says, these yellow lights are used by staff. They're known as Cantrail Lights, and unofficially as BILs/DILs.

An illuminated Cantrail light could mean a loss of door interlock, a passcom activation, a fire alarm or a Track Circuit Actuator fault (there are other indications in the driving cab which help identify which is which).

I accept that their purpose is other than to inform passengers that the doors can be opened, but that is how passengers perceive them, especially if they are used to travelling on the tube.  I've seen trains being delayed as passengers try in vain to open the doors on a locked out set, in fact I've done it myself before now.

The clue of course is where the Driver stops (if there are different stop boards for different train lengths).   If a 5 car comes in and stops by the 2 Car Board, then that's the clue that the back 3 are locked out of use.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 22:49:39 »

Indeed that is a good clue, but only at certain stations.  If the station in question has a standard stop location for all trains, or the stop boards mean that it would not be clear of signals at the other end of the platform (such as at platforms 4/5 at Didcot) then there would be no way of telling.

litecactus

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 17:22:23 »

I accept that their purpose is other than to inform passengers that the doors can be opened, but that is how passengers perceive them, especially if they are used to travelling on the tube.  I've seen trains being delayed as passengers try in vain to open the doors on a locked out set, in fact I've done it myself before now.

The clue of course is where the Driver stops (if there are different stop boards for different train lengths).   If a 5 car comes in and stops by the 2 Car Board, then that's the clue that the back 3 are locked out of use.

This was platform 1 at Twyford, where the only stop board is a "HST (High Speed Train) Stop". The train went all the way to the end of the platform.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 21:31:19 »

They're known as Cantrail Lights, and unofficially as BILs/DILs.

And, for the sake of pedantry and completeness, my trusty rule book module TW7 TW5 refers to them as "orange hazard lights" Wink

Edited because, as any fule no, TW7 refers to wrong-direction movements, not defective or isolated vehicles and on-train equipment...
James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 17:21:50 »

Welcome to the forum as well!, hopefully there aren't too many strange occurrences on your future travels Smiley

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: