07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 08:21:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Baker Dolphin London flyer ends this week after 30 years !  (Read 20137 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:46:52 »

London Flyer

It is with great regret that the London Flyer will be discontinued at the end of August.  As you can imagine, after 30 years, this decision has not been taken lightly.

We will continue offering the service as normal until this point.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 14:53:08 »

?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 15:06:47 »

Baker Dolphin are a long established coach company based in Weston Super Mare. Since 1983 they have run a daily return journey to London picking up at Gordano services M5, Bristol City Centre, Eastville Tesco and dropping off at Earls Court Knightsbridge and Marble Arch. for around ^20 return
PLus early and late evening return journeys.

For those of us  that have lived in the area all that time, it has always been an option to save going into Bristol early in the morning.
Apart from economic considerations, I think the travelling time into London has increased over the years, which surely hasn't helped. Its now either National Express from Bristol, or FGW (First Great Western) into Paddington , or if you don't mind the extra hour of travelling time, the much cheaper alternative SWT (South West Trains) from Bristol TM(resolve) to Waterloo via Salisbury, that runs 4 times a day.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 16:01:49 »

or if you don't mind the extra hour of travelling time, the much cheaper alternative SWT (South West Trains) from Bristol TM(resolve) to Waterloo via Salisbury, that runs 4 times a day.

Be careful with that statement...!

You are referring to the direct trains? You can make that journey far more often by changing trains at Salisbury. Salisbury - London Waterloo has as near as dammit a half hourly service Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 16:23:41 »

Yes, you are absolutely right. I was referring to the 4 direct services from Temple Meads. I quite like to be kept awake by the  jolt at Salisbury as our ' slip coach' is joined up to whatever comes up the line from Exeter and the warning at Pad, to travel in the front four  coaches for Westbury Bath and Bristol, before we are 'vacuumed apart' at Salisbury.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 16:52:50 »

...the warning at Pad, to travel in the front four coaches for Westbury Bath and Bristol...

Hopefully a good loud warning then, for those actually waiting at Waterloo?   Grin

Paul
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 17:13:44 »

Lol! Thank you Paul. A senior moment par excellence !
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 17:27:29 »

Or to break into song...

Oh! Paul the  Porter, what shall I do,
I'm stranded here at Paddington,
when I should be at Waterloo,
Take me back to Bristol, as slowly as you can
Oh!  Paul the  Porter what a silly man I am!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 18:14:09 »

Since I know that this forum likes to be accurate with facts, I should point out that there are only 3 through trains via Salisbury from Bristol Temple Meads Monday-Saturday.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 21:18:16 »

Its now either National Express from Bristol, or FGW (First Great Western) into Paddington , or if you don't mind the extra hour of travelling time, the much cheaper alternative SWT (South West Trains) from Bristol TM(resolve) to Waterloo via Salisbury

Not to forget Stagecoach's Megabus sevices from Bristol to London also. There's also now Megabus Gold where the vehicles used on the overnight London<->Scotland services are pressed into use on day services betwen major destinations. With Megabus Gold you get power sockets free wi-fi, leather seats, complimentary newspapers and an at seat steward service of complimentary refreshments.

Currently can be had for as little as ^5 each way if you book far enough ahead.

http://www.megabusgold.com/

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 21:25:23 »

I remember the days when Turners coaches also operate a daily Bristol-London and Bath- London service. I would imagine these services stopped quite sometime ago.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 23:34:55 »

Since I know that this forum likes to be accurate with facts, I should point out that there are only 3 through trains via Salisbury from Bristol Temple Meads Monday-Saturday.

I wondered who was going to spot that one too! It would have been rude to flame chuffed completely... Tongue

However to their credit... There is that South West Trains Bristol Temple Meads - Salisbury service at 22:23 Wink Which of course you can connect to another London Waterloo service at Salisbury at 05:15 the following morning Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:24:09 »

I have split off the discussion about Berry's Superfast from Somerset to London into a separate thread at
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12855.0

It seems that's a well established and indeed growing service, and I felt it merits its own thread rather than being hidden under news that someone else's service is about to cease.

Edit to add   I didn't want to leave it here because it would be buried / berried .... the pun has just been pointed out to me and would be too good to loose!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 16:01:21 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 13:09:37 »

I think the point about Bakers Dolphin for me is that they offered a direct London service to a town not served by rail - i.e Clevedon.  Anyone arriving back at Yatton after 18:25 needs a taxi, a good friend with a car, or get off a stop early and await the hourly and very circuitous bus from Nailsea & Backwell.  However, it cannot have been profitable to rely on my occasional use of the coach at ^22.00 when I was avoiding the eye-watering peak fares back from Paddington.  I shall miss the cheese and pickle sandwiches made to order by the hostesses.  Cry

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 20:45:35 »

Not to forget Stagecoach's Megabus sevices from Bristol to London also. There's also now Megabus Gold where the vehicles used on the overnight London<->Scotland services are pressed into use on day services betwen major destinations. With Megabus Gold you get power sockets free wi-fi, leather seats, complimentary newspapers and an at seat steward service of complimentary refreshments.

Currently can be had for as little as ^5 each way if you book far enough ahead.

http://www.megabusgold.com/

Megabus Gold daytime services are being withdrawn from May 4th 2015. Seems the coaches will sit doing nothing all day in London between overnight workings from/to Scotland.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: