17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
22:40 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
22:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 23:12:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 15.51 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill  (Read 84156 times)
bathgreenpark9f

View Profile Email
« on: August 30, 2013, 07:11:51 »

Anyone able to advise if this is still a 3 car Turbo instead of an HST (High Speed Train) on Fridays?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:40:44 »

It seems, according to this thread http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12851.msg138720#msg138720, the service is likely to be operated as a 180 all things being equal.

Mod note: Have not merged topics as this provides a useful signpost to the other thread which also includes details of services for the lower Thames Valley.
bathgreenpark9f

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:51 »

Thanks for above, had not spotted this thread. Train shows tonight as non reservable which is unusual, maybe a turbo in prospect perhaps
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:15:29 »

Others may hopefully correct me - but has anyone seen seat reservations on the 180s recently? I've travelled on a few, and not seen any at all recently....
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:26:53 »

ON a 180 service  to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) yesterday, lots of people with seat reservation tickets unable to use their seat as the seat reservation cards had not been placed out and the train was full and standing already by Charlbury.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:01:00 »

That's a known problem if they're to be put out at WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)/WOF or GMV....
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:44:36 »

Todays service is currently showing as 180108, which has just gone back into OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) after it's morning trips and is due back into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) at 15:23.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 13:32:34 »

That's a known problem if they're to be put out at WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)/WOF or GMV....

Yes, all depends on who the Train Manager is as to whether it gets done or not when the train gets turned round.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 18:46:01 »

I am traveling home from Oxford on the 1551 ex Paddington or the 1732 Oxford stopping service most evenings and suffice it to say the 1649 Oxford train (now a 180 rather than the HST (High Speed Train)) is absolutely packed almost every evening, the stopping service is also picking up some of the overflow and is much busier than it used to be with lots of passengers standing from Oxford.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 18:26:03 »

The (now) 15:52 hasn't been quite so squashed this week so far but was beyond funny last week.

I wrote to FGW (First Great Western) about the downgrading of this service, and the reply arrived yesterday. There was the usual "apologise that... [the] service is always crowded... can imagine how uncomfortable these journeys have been" etc. Then the bit about national shortage of rolling stock followed by the revelation that my letter had not been read at all... "We were therefore delighted to bring in 48 extra carriages in 2012... providing a total of 4,500 additional Standard Class seats across our network at peak times." Leaving aside the fact this was exactly the same paragraph that appeared in FGW's reply to my letter complaining about the withdrawal of the HST (High Speed Train) on summer Fridays, I wasn't writing about the overcrowding (as the HST was usually very full) but the removal of three carriages and 150 Standard Class seats from this service. I doubt there was much point in replying but it has made me feel marginally better...
Busboy W1

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 17:13:07 »

1W47 15:52 Ex Padd looked like a Sardine tin tonight on departure from Oxf but then it is Friday. Also being a superior 180 may have helped a little.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 17:38:09 »

1W47 15:52 Ex Padd looked like a Sardine tin tonight on departure from Oxf but then it is Friday. Also being a superior 180 may have helped a little.

It does seem to be worse on Fridays. The HST (High Speed Train) which FGW (First Great Western) felt we could manage without usually had a fair number of passengers standing so a 180 doesn't help at all. (For all their faults, Turbos do appear to have been designed to cope better with over-crowding).
martvw

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 19:22:32 »

It seems that if it is a Worcester service it is of no importance ! The city of Worcester does not count for much on the rail network just look at the state of the Stations and track layout.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 23:15:28 »

I suspect that, in this instance, it is not a case of Worcester service being considered to be unimportant.  It is probably the easiest solution to having to take one HST (High Speed Train) at a time out of service for "refreshing".

Can anyone confirm that the HST stock which originally formed the 1551 to Worcester now forms the 1545 to Swansea?  If it does not, what does it now do?  It is understood that train crews on the Bristol, South Wales or South West routes have not been trained operate class 180s.

I wonder whether, if train crews have the relevant route and traction knowledge, the Class 180 could be used on the 1536 to Cheltenham Spa, releasing the HST from that to form the 1551 to Worcester. What are the loadings like on that train and its 1834 return from Cheltenham Spa?  Would misery merely be transferred to the South Cotswold Line passengers?
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 00:06:39 »

I'm not 100% sure how the workings work but replacing the HST (High Speed Train) set on the 1551 with a 180, as well as cancelling the 0640 Bristol-London reduces the number of sets diagrammed by one, therefore allowing a set of HST stock to go off for a mechanical overhaul.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: