Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 04:28:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 15.51 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill  (Read 84191 times)
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 03:12:43 »

It is understood that train crews on the Bristol, South Wales or South West routes have not been trained operate class 180s.

Only Paddington and Oxford LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) drivers and guards (along with Reading guards) sign class 180s these days, so no chance of them operating on the routes your list any time soon, I'm afraid.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 12:07:42 »

Charles comments that this train is worse on Fridays. This has been the case for many years now. The cause is believed to be the high number of wealthy city types that can afford a home in London to sleep in Monday to Thursday and then return to their hoiday home in the Cotswolds on Friday afternoon/evening. Traffic flows back to London from the Cotswold Line are higher on Sunday afternoons/evenings and again on Monday mornings as they go back for work in London.
A more recent factor increasing traffic flows has been the relocation of many city workers from homes in the home counties to less expensive homes in West Oxon. I know of one such person who lived in Wokingham and explained to me that as his family had grown and he needed a larger home, he found it economically viable to relocate from Wokingham to Witney with the bonus of living in a pleasant Cotswolds area. Property prices in Wokingham had been rising because people living in London were relocating outwards because of the increasing number of immigrants in London able to pay high rents because of high deensity living. He now has a season ticket from Hanborough to London and the commuting time of just over an hour to Paddington compares very well with the slow multi-station South West Trains journey from Wokingham to Waterloo and the savings on his mortgage more than offset his higher season ticket cost. He is just one of many that has resulted in an enormous growth in early morning commuting from Hanborough to London
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 19:57:52 »

Only Paddington and Oxford LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) drivers and guards (along with Reading guards) sign class 180s these days, so no chance of them operating on the routes your list any time soon, I'm afraid.
Actually, there are no Train Managers (Guards) based at Oxford.  I believe that at least some of the Train Managers based at Worcester (who do sign Class 180s) now also work between Worcester and London via Stroud/Swindon.  I do not know what is the situation regarding drivers on that route, however.  No drivers are based in Worcester.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 21:33:06 »

Times have moved on but when the 180s came to FGW (First Great Western) the first time they saw a lot of work on the line from Swindon to Gloucester/Cheltenham.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 22:09:40 »

And my first ever journey on a Class 180 was on an afternoon service from Taunton, to Paddington via Frome, in 2003.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:17:41 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 12:12:17 »

Are the 180s cleared for South Cotswold use?

If so, I suspect it's driver knowledge....Cheltenham's will/could use Bristol drivers? Are they trained on 180s? I doubt it.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 13:49:23 »

As I've already said, the only drivers that sign 180s are Paddington and Oxford LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) drivers.

Paddington LTV drivers sign Paddington to Oxford, Paddington to Bedwyn, the Greenford branch, and the Windsor branch. Senior LTV drivers also sign to Worcester Foregate Street.

Oxford LTV drivers sign Banbury to Paddington and the Greenford branch, a fair few sign as far as Great Malvern, and senior drivers also sign as far as Hereford.

Further more, even though only Oxford and Paddington LTV drivers sign 180s, there is a training backlog and some LTV drivers do not even sign them yet. With only four 180s diagrammed for service during the week, it is unlikely other depots or HSS (High Speed Services) drivers will learn them because there wouldn't be enough duties to enable the drivers that do sign them to retain their competency in them.

That's why it's unlikely you'll see them on Cheltenham services any time soon.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 22:26:51 »

Network SouthEast's summary is correct, and to add that guard/TM(resolve)/Conductor wise Paddington, Reading, and Worcester depots sign the 180s with most of the Worcester ones signing the route via Stroud, so it's the drivers that prohibit 180 working on that route.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 21:25:47 »

The class 180 yesterday (Tuesday) on the 1551 ex Paddington was packed to the rafters as far as Oxford and had loads of seat reservations (to answer an earlier comment).
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 22:20:25 »

The class 180 yesterday (Tuesday) on the 1551 ex Paddington was packed to the rafters as far as Oxford

And from my experience, far more tend to get on at Oxford than get off - certainly coaches D & E.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 16:58:22 »

Not on this occasion; it got a bit easier after Oxford. Still I have to use the same service next week, so we'll see what happens.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 13:01:23 »

Friday's 1552 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains):WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) service was appallingly over-crowded, to the extent that the automated announcement at Oxford suggested passengers wait for the following service.

What's frustrating is that whenever FGW (First Great Western) is short of an HST (High Speed Train), it always gets taken from this service. I understand that it is the least heavily used HST diagram and that the Cotswold Line is the only long-distance route that Turbos and 180s can operate on; I don't doubt it is the simplest solution in terms of stock utilisation but is it really the only option, especially if it's going to be a long-term issue? I find it hard to believe that FGW gives any serious consideration to passenger numbers when making such decisions.

[edited for a small grammatical correction]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 17:50:57 by charles_uk » Logged
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 16:53:04 »

Friday's 1552 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains):WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) service was appallingly over-crowded, to the extent that the automated announcement at Oxford suggested passengers wait for the following service.

I think that some may well have taken up this suggestion.  The number alighting from the 1552 PAD-WOS train at Charlbury was much lower than usual for a Friday.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 08:14:43 »

Travelled from Paddington to Shrub Hill on this on Mon Nov 11.

I was in the middle coach. Full from Paddington to Oxford. Standing in the vestibules, luggage spaces and ends of aisle from Oxford to Charlbury. Merely full from there to Moreton. 60% load through to Worcester.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 11:27:14 »

Worcester guard on Monday told a few of us that they've heard of plans to swap the HST (High Speed Train) on the 1750 with the Adelante on the 1551.....wait to see if this actually happens
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: