Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:17:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question concerning luggage restrictions  (Read 13881 times)
Tijl

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:43:38 »

In September, I am travelling from London Paddington to Oxford. As I am an Erasmus student, I will be carrying quite some luggage. I wondered whether it is allowed to carry a backpack, a trolley (or suitcase) and a guitar. Or does one have to pay extra charges then? And where can one do so? Thank you very much!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:37:42 »

The conditions that apply are shown below.

I think it is highly unlikely that you would have any problem as many travellers seem to travel with unfeasibly large volumes of luggage (often that they are barely able to manage to handle themselves) and railway staff seem to accept it.

If you are allowed through the barriers at Paddington (and you will need to use the larger one designed for people with luggage) then you should be fine.

Extract from National Rail Conditions of Carriage

2. Condition 47 allows you to take up to 3 items of luggage into the passenger accommodation of a train. One piece of luggage must be capable of being held in your lap if required, whilst the other pieces must each not exceed 30 x 70 x 90cm in size.
3. A Train Company may refuse to accept luggage or articles in passenger accommodation if any of the following apply:
^ the restrictions listed in Condition 49 apply;
^ the item would obstruct doorways, gangways or corridors;
4. In such cases, the article may be conveyed in separate luggage accommodation if this is available on the train service. Articles conveyed in such accommodation must for security reasons be clearly labelled with your name, address and destination station. Staff may not release the items to you until you have proved ownership.
5. A Train Company may refuse to accept articles in a luggage van if any of the restrictions listed in Condition 49 apply.
6. Luggage that exceeds the limits set out above is carried at the discretion of the Train Company. A charge may be made for this. Each train company is responsible for setting the charges that apply to luggage conveyed in these circumstances; however, it will
not exceed half the adult single fare for the journey or part of the journey over which
the luggage is being conveyed on that Train Company. Train Companies will provide information about their additional luggage policies via their website and enquiry offices, or on request or from the Ticket Seller before you buy your ticket.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:43:13 »

You could also try aiming for one of the services operated by a High Speed Train rather than a Turbo.  They have eight coaches and more luggage space.  They are marked with an H at the top of the column on the timetable linked below.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/TicketsAndTrainTimes/TrainTimes/CurrentTimeTable/NormalPrintVersion/GW13M_TT16_WEB.ashx
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:57:58 »

Welcome aboard, Tijl!

A backpack, a suitcase, and a guitar would not cause any problems, especially if you are travelling outside of the busiest periods. You will not be the only student, Erasmus or otherwise, to be making the journey from Paddington to Oxford, and many of the others will be similarly encumbered. If you can get all of your kit on and off the train quickly and without assistance, and can stow it in the luggage racks, you are unlikely to raise eyebrows. A piano, grand or upright, would be frowned upon. As John R helpfully mentions, there are general conditions of carriage, often honoured more in breach than observance, but common sense is generally sufficient. If you have so much luggage that it needs three trips to get it all off the train, you may find the doors locked and the train on its way before you have finished, and you may never see your kitchen sink again. There are no charges for carrying personal luggage - this is the railway, not Ryanair.

The type of train can make a big difference. In the timetable, you will see that many of the services have a letter 'H' in a circle above the times. These signify high speed trains, usually of eight carriages, and with more space for luggage than some of the other offerings. Sadly, what is shown in the timetable is not always what shows up at the station, so you may want to allow yourself the flexibility of a ticket that allows you to get any train, rather than one specific service, although that may come at a greater price.

First Great Western offers a luggage forwarding service, with an option especially for students. Details can be found here. I have never used this, and have no idea of how good it is, or what it costs.

Enjoy the "City of Dreaming Spires", and don't forget to travel west whilst you are in the UK (United Kingdom). Most foreign students (I assume that, as an Erasmus scholar, you are from overseas) visit only Bath, Stratford on Avon, and London, so missing some of the spectacular jewels in the crown that can be found in this Septic Isle.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:06:11 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:20:44 »

Another word of advice - if you can carry/move all your luggage without assistance (and that includes lifting it onto the train), you should be fine. There aren't porters available.

There are left luggage facilities at Paddington station in London, but none in Oxford.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:35:11 »

Welcome from me as well Tijl

missing some of the spectacular jewels in the crown that can be found in this Septic Isle.

If you manage to understand our puns and crazy cultural references you will be a first class student.  If you can laugh as well, you'll be one of us!  (That of course may not be a goal worthy of achievement  Smiley).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 16:09:25 »

Indeed, welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, Tijl!  Smiley

I hope the above, very impressive, guidance that has been offered will answer your query.  I can only add a suggestion that you resist the temptation to play your guitar in any 'quiet carriage' - apart from that, you really should have no problems at all with your train travel plans!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 17:15:56 »

A warm welcom from me also, Tijl.  Smiley

Having seen the holidaymakers returning from Cornwall today by train, I can safely say that your intended luggage is nowhere near the limits of what on train staff deem acceptable. One example...

I'm amazed that a family of four apparently need three large (I mean.... really large) suitcases, plus three backpacks and two holdalls. Oh, and various carrier bags. I overheard them discussing their break. Seven nights half board in St Ives. But it appeared as though they'd packed for a 3 month grand tour of Europe.

One wheeled suitcase, a backpack and a guitar will be absolutely no problem. Just try to avoid travelling from Paddington on a weekday evening between 1600-1930. And like others have said, try to aim for a 'High Speed Train' (HST (High Speed Train)) marked with a blue 'H' at the head of the timetable columns.

If you know your date and rough time of travel then we can advise further on the best train to catch.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: