17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 19:02:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: North Somerset Coaches - Nailsea bus company - ongoing updates (merged topics)  (Read 8110 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: May 26, 2013, 22:59:30 »

From Nailsea People:

An exasperated Nailsea bus company boss is threatening to report the district council to the local government ombudsman for not dealing with his transport complaints.

North Somerset Coaches has been run by David Fricker since 2007 and he has turned it into an award-winning local company based at Southfield Road.

Mr Fricker who is secretary of Nailsea Chamber of Trade & Commerce has investment in new (and some not-so-new vintage) vehicles and runs a busy timetable of local and city services as well as day trips and holiday excusions.

But his battle with North Somerset Council to get timetable information correctly displayed at bus stops used by his fleet has been long running and so far mostly unsuccessful.

And to add insult to injury this week bus stops in the town have been fitted with 'real time' electronic display board but doesn't include North Somerset Coaches.

Mr Fricker had previous requested that the new boards weren't installed until all bus services on the route could  be included.

Mr Fricker has asked the district council highways and transport chief Colin Medus: "Can you please explain why real time information in Nailsea has now been turned on, showing only First bus?"

"This anti-competitive behaviour by the council is unacceptable and I shall now be contacting the local government ombudsman...this deliberate campaign of mis-leading passengers must stop."

North Someset Coaches has already complained about inaccurate timetables and billing issues which has seen it charged for services not received.

Mr Medus has offered to meet Mr Fricker to try and resolve his concerns.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 09:29:32 »

This anti-competitive behaviour extends through the area where these electronic displays have been installed.  They should say clearly that currently they only apply to First buses equipped with the transponders (or whatever system they use).  Clevedon had them turned on just last week and I have previously noted in Portishead only some First buses were shown giving a completely false impression. If you're a regular traveller it's bad enough, but if North Somerset really want to increase bus use (which I seriously doubt) they are not helping by starting yet another half-ready scheme which looks pretty, but gives misleading information.

A positive point is that most bus stops near me seem now to have up-to-date easy-to-read printed time-tables. All potential pax need now is to know the likelihood of the bus arriving.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 14:39:40 »

Does Mr Fricker appreciate that for his buses to appear on the live information system his buses would have to be equipped with the necessary transmission equipment (at his company's expense)? Here in Oxfordshire we are now into a second generation system of Live Information systems but this only applies to Premium route services, i.e. frequent services served with full size buses. The council could not justify spending on minor routes where only a few buses call and the bus companies could not justify the matching investment in their small buses serving minor routes. We therefor have the situation that the bus I use to travel home from Oxford calls at a well used bus stop with the Live Informtion system but my bus does not appear on the display because the bus is not so equipped. I suspect something similar may be the case in Nailsea.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 18:08:10 »

As long as that is clear to intending passengers that only some services are shown, I don't have a problem, but if the display suggests that it is comprehensive, it is misleading.  The situation in Nailsea and Clevedon is that competing companies and those on subsidised/contract services not operated by First aren't shown.  I agree that the technology needs to be fitted and paid for by the individual companies, but who is ensuring that access to the equipment is fair to all who wish to enter the market? 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 21:14:30 »

Does the equipment fitted to the buses have to be paid for by the operators though?

I'm fairly sure that in Bristol, the 'real time information' system was a package funded almost entirely by the city council.

It'd be interesting to find out what, if any, contribution First made toward the system in North Somerset.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
NSCoaches

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:38:08 »

Sorry for the delay in posting our company response.

Our request last week to North Somerset Council was for the new screens not to be turned on until we all have the kit; a reasonable request and one that would have ensured passengers had correct, accurate and full information.

Unfortunately, either in the rush to "tick the box", or through total lack of awareness of their decisions, this decision by officers has left passengers worse off.

Historically, the RTI (Real Time Information (displays)) system has functioned at best "erratically" in the Avon area thanks to perseverance with an obsolete radio-based system. I understand the suppliers (VixACIS) have not been paid by the WoE authorities for some considerable time because of poor performance - but nothing appears to happen!

An award from the government's LSTF (Local Sustainable Transport Fund) pot was made to the WoE authorities last year to expand the system to small operators and give complete coverage. Last October Bristol City Council requested details of the number of on-bus units we would all require, and at Christmas we were promised fitment of units "imminently" over the festive period.

Then it became clear that the "Ticketer" ticket machines (that all small operators have) can link directly to the ACIS server without need for the expensive separate ACIS "box". The local authorities then commissioned a report from Halcrow consultants into the feasibility, and we are still waiting for their report - and for the real-time system installation.

The next we knew, installation of roadside infrastructure in Nailsea began a few weeks ago - and has been immediately turned on. Passengers are now being deliberately mis-informed and a delay in "switch-on" could have given a huge publicity boost to the scheme by demonstrating inclusive partnership working with all bus companies.

It is probably worth mentioning that not all First vehicles are fitted with the boxes, and that the roadside screens only show those vehicles - it does not show a full timetable list.

There are many issues ongoing in North Somerset at the moment and it is unfortunate that passengers are last on the list of the local authority's concerns.

Finally, should we mention the overheard conversation between North Somerset Council officers at a real-time meeting stating we would be excluded from the real-time project because we wouldn't pay our timetable bill? The bill in question was for 62 roadside timetables at ^8.77 per stop, when only 12 of those 62 were correct. Would you pay?

Dave

NSCoaches

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:15 »

Thank you Dave, a most informative reply.  It is appalling that a company such as yours is treated in this way and in the end we passengers suffer.  As I said earlier, we do not get a proper account of what is really happening at a bus stop with these half-ready displays.  I think your point about NSC ticking boxes is probably right.  If you are entitled to be a part of the system, how dare an officer decide for unconnected reasons to deny you that?

I know it's repeating points made previously, but this again shows that we need a competent (in all senses of the word) authority to oversee and integrate local transport to the advantage of the public and encourage good entrepreneurs to be part of a sensible scheme.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 19:26:18 »

Further to my comments yesterday, I now have personal experience of how North Somerset Coaches (NSC) are discriminated against having fetched up in Nailsea (as you do) on an Avon Rider enjoying a day's bus riding.  At the main bus stop in the Link Road, the company is absent in any form.  As well as the absence from the electronic display there isn't even as incorrect printed timetable including their services.  I'm afraid I still haven't been able to try NSC's buses and we left behind a lady and two children waiting for a return service with no exact idea when it would arrive.

The day proved that the elechronic (sic) displays are indeed less helpful than the printed timetables, gaps (sometimes huge) were apparent in Weston and Nailsea.  The display at Anchor Road in Bristol was spot on for First and the P&R (Park and Ride) services, but I wanted the Pier Buses X7 service.  At least that appeared on the printed sheet.

Mr Fricker, please let us know how you get on with your challenge to the other NSC (Council).  They will be receiving a request from me for and explanation.

Reminder and for new readers: I have no connection to any transport undertaking
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:12:06 »

I was alerted to this by at TravelWatch SouthWest yesterday, where David Fricker, owner / operator of North Somerset Coaches read out the whole of the letter to passengers - my second quote that I have started.   Please check his web site for the full letter and details.

Service 191 will run for the last time on Wednesday 6th November 2013
Service 55C will run for the last time on Friday 8th November 2013
Services X54 and 55 will be operated by Abus of Bristol to a slightly revised timetable from Monday 11th November 2013

Service X5 to St. Katherine^s School is unaffected by these changes

Our popular day excursion programme will be expanded in 2014

We are currently planning the new brochure and suggestions are very welcome before we go to print!

To read more information about our decision
 to withdraw local bus services, please click Link

At that link ...

It is with a deep sense of sadness that I have to write to inform you that our popular and profitable bus services between Nailsea and Bristol (X54 & 55), Nailsea and Backwell School (55C), and from Bath to W eston-super -Mare (191) will be withdrawn from 8th November . The future North Somerset Coaches will concentrate on day excursions and coach hire.

Since 2008 I^ve tried to bring you the very best quality local bus services: Friendly, safe, smart drivers; clean, modern, low-emission low-floor vehicles, some with comfortable leather coach seats; the pioneering use of smart-cards; discounted peak travel for seniors; annual customer survey; hail & ride; good value affordable fares and flexible tickets and an innovative approach to service delivery with a promise of ^we always run^ even in the worst winter weather. My proudest moment was national recognition with the receipt of a ^Highly Commended^ certificate at the UK (United Kingdom) Bus Awards in 2010.

Concurrent with this commitment to deliver reliable and good quality services I^ve tried hard to support partnership working with local authorities. It is disappointing to have been excluded from meaningful involvement in many projects directly affecting you, our passengers, to the point where I feel I cannot continue.

Full letter - http://www.northsomersetcoaches.co.uk/lettertopassengers4.pdf

I understand that the Abus license request to take over the X54 and 55 routes was not received by the traffic commissioner 56 clear days ahead, and the registration and new operator will not be allowed to start until later in the week, even in these circumstances

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 15:08:51 »

It seems to be a pity that such a good local operator is forced out, not by fair competition from a commercial competitor (which happens as part of the way businesses work), but by alleged incompetence of local authorities to fulfill their obligations and regulation that seemingly places all the blame for poor punctuality on the operator and takes no account of prevailing circumstances.  On the railways, the separation of infrastructure maintenance and operation of services is clearly defined and understood: it is often forgotten when it comes to roads. (Catching a bus in Clevedon has been a challenge this past week with several road closures - and more to come.) 

Buses are an essential part of life for many and although the 'big boys' often provide good commercial services, a competent local firm can keep them alert to keeping fares down and offering friendly service.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 18:57:23 »

This news story hasn't yet appeared on their online version, but this printed newspaper article is from the front page of the North Somerset Times, 2 October 2013:

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 20:04:34 »

In the interests of continuity, I've now merged a couple of topics here, to expand the context of the most recent development.

Hope this helps!  Chris from Nailsea.

By the way, and purely for the record: I do not have shares, or any other financial interest, in North Somerset Coaches, based in Nailsea. CfN.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: