12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 13:55:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I take with me on the train?  (Read 36924 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:46:02 »

Bicycles, Dogs, Pushchairs, Umbrellas, Babies, Luggage, Cans of Petrol, Wheelchairs, Mobile Phones, Horses, Alcohol, Pizza and Surfboards ...  I'm writing an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) ... please comment on my list below (and any photos I can use of a passenger with all of these ...  Grin )

If you're travelling by train, you can typically take all of your paraphanalia with you - that's good news for me as I travel to present training courses, and often have quite a bit to carry. The underlying rule is that the passenger should be able to manage whatever he / she has with him / her.

But as far as the train company is concerned, it would be a nightmare if everyone took everything they were allowed, and indeed the whole thing would be impractical. Furthermore, many of the things that are allowed are taken free of charge, but cost the train company in terms of space occupied can be considerable.

Bicycles:  Passengers are normally allowed to take a bicycle free of charge.  However, there is a limit to the number of cycles on each train, and there are some further restrictions (reservations required or no cycles) on some trains.  Fold-up cycles which count as normal baggage are exempt from the limits.

Dogs: Each person is allowed up to 2 dogs. They must not get on the seats and must be well behaved. Dogs are allowed on the London Underground, but not on Manchester trams.

Pushchairs: Children's puchchairs and prams are allowed. You may be asked to collapes pushchairs

Umbrellas: Allowed, of course .. one of the baines of the life of the lost property department, as more umbrellas are taken onto trains than are brought back off

Babies: Travel free of charge, if accompanied by a fare paying passenger.

Luggage:  I think you're technically allowed two pieces of luggage and size limits are stated

Cans of petrol:  No - hazardous, and it's a "no" to guns and other hazardous goods too

Wheelchairs:  Disabled wheelchairs are allowed, but there are limits when it comes to self propelled diasbility chairs - largely due to the risk of them tipping over / being unable to be loaded. Rules vary by train company and station - please check

Mobile Phones:  Allowed ... by you may be required to turn the off in quiet carraiges on some services.  The quiet carriage rues are a little fuzzy at times - silently sending texts is probably OK, but may technically be in breach of the rules.

Horses:  Sorry - you cannot take your horse (unless it's "my little pony") on trains these days, even though horse boxes were a major feature of train travel in Victorian times. Smaller pets such as cats may be taken in baskets.

Alcohol:  A few trains are "dry" - i.e. there is a ban on alcohol (and I suspect that may even be a ban on alcohol in sealed containers) - notably the later Saturday trains from Weymouth. On most trains, you can take your own alcohol, and even buy it from the buffet!

Pizza and other food:   Yes, you can take your own food on the train, and you can sometime buy food on board too - and of course you can eat it.  We have even heard of a takeaway delivering food to a train an an intermediate station ...

Surfboards: I understand that you'll be charged for carriage of your surfboard, but you can take it with you.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 13:10:38 »

Not sure how region-specific you plan to make this - but Scotrail ban all consumption and carrying of alcohol between 9pm and 10am.  The only exception is the Caledonian Sleepers.

National Conditions of Carriage say you can take three items of luggage subject to certain restrictions.

47. Accompanied luggage, articles and animals
You may take a single item of hand luggage that must be capable of being held in your lap if required, plus up to 2 items of luggage each not exceeding 30 x 70 x 90 cm in size. Unless you are disabled or have reduced mobility and have made arrangements in advance for assistance, you should be able to manage your luggage without additional help. Luggage is carried subject to sufficient space being available in the train service you wish to use. Luggage should not occupy seats intended for passengers; if it does so, it may be charged for as set out in Appendix B.

Additional items of luggage and larger items may be carried at an additional charge (as set out in Appendix B), but you should check in advance with the Train Company. Each Train Company provides information about their specific luggage conditions on request, and this can be found either from their website or from the Ticket Seller before you buy your ticket.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 14:28:51 »

Babies: Travel free of charge, if accompanied by a fare paying passenger

So the baby must pay if the adult travelling with it doesn't. Can just imagine now a TM(resolve) asking a baby for a fare!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 15:37:06 »

Babies: Travel free of charge, if accompanied by a fare paying passenger
So the baby must pay if the adult travelling with it doesn't. Can just imagine now a TM(resolve) asking a baby for a fare!

Almost ...

Up to two children under five years of age may accompany a fare-paying passenger free of charge. However, they may only occupy a seat that is not required by a fare-paying passenger.

So a baby / young child could travel at no charge with a five-to-fifteen child, for example its teenage mother who would pay half fare if aged 14 or 15.  However, if Mr and Mrs Smith won a prize of "two tickets to anywhere", they can't take Brat Smith  (aged 3) with them as they haven't paid a fare.

I'm looking to be writing this for TransWilts and connection users, so I think I can include Scotrail in the "most" exclusion.   Luggage sizes ... may add those in.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 16:23:47 »

Horses:  Sorry - you cannot take your horse (unless it's "my little pony") on trains these days, even though horse boxes were a major feature of train travel in Victorian times. Smaller pets such as cats may be taken in baskets.

I think this gentleman would have found your FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) quite handy then!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13437279

Grin
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 23:50:07 »

Appendix B of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage sets out most of the rules, I know XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) won't take surfboards, even on HSTs (High Speed Train) as a company policy, however a word with the TM(resolve) may result in some leniency if you're travelling no farther than they are. Prams and pushchairs must be capable of folding, when I was a wee one and we were travelling by train we always used the basic, almost deckchair-like pushchair for ease of carrying.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/NRCOC.pdf
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 17:22:30 »

I am afraid that I have taken a few prohibited items on trains, including a chair (did not know at the time that furniture was prohibited)
On another trip I conveyed four cats, in a suitable basket but this was larger than that permitted.
A friend took a shotgun, unloaded and in a locked case.

I have taken fireworks which are probably classed as explosives.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 00:36:15 »

On another trip I conveyed four cats, in a suitable basket but this was larger than that permitted.
A friend took a shotgun, unloaded and in a locked case.

Was this in case the cats got a bit teasy ?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 19:51:41 »

It turns out some scientists take their lab with them on the tube: http://occamstypewriter.org/mindthegap/2013/04/03/in-which-i-dream-of-going-viral/
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 18:41:48 »

This chap was taking a Hot Pot Cooker onto a Cardiff Central Service. You can just see it resting on the window sill

My personal things I have taken on the train include:

• Compaq DL360 Rackmount Server; Fits into an HST (High Speed Train) Luggage Rack nicely
  • HP XW4400 PC in a Suitcase which I took onto Spain
  • UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply - Very Heavy) for HP XW4400 PC which also went to Spain
  • Assortment of Network and Telephony Cables
  • Cable Cutters, Crimp Tools, Multimeter and Screwdrivers
  • My Black Labrador Dog; Billy
  • Tin of Paint and paint brushes in sealed containers
  • A close friends Ann Summers erm... "Party Supplies" (Don't Ask!)
  • Prescription Medication some of which without a valid prescription are registered as Class C substances
  • Electric Drill

Quite a few are more than frowned upon. I hold a valid prescription for the Class C substances so I tick that box in case there is any doubt Wink The tin of paint only happened once when I was moving house and my ceiling needed painting. The rest are tools of the trade which are secured in their cases. However they probably could be classed as offensive weapons if a Police Officer was feeling particularly vindictive... Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 19:51:42 »

Travelling to a historical reenactment event (not in period costume) but accompanied by a large rucksack, very heavy small (cabin hand luggage size) wheely suitcase, 9foot (blunt) spear and sword and short (14") knife and hand axe (all blunts) and a shield. To be fair the hand weapons were all in a hockey stick bag and padlocked, the spear fitted on the luggage rack OK once I got it through the door and vestibule, the problems were the shield (28" diameter) which jammed everywhere including the ticket gatelines, and the small suitcase which was so heavy because it contained my mail armour so it wasnt easy to lift onto the racks.

No comments from  staff or problems with other passengers (!) even when returning late at night.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 19:56:46 by IanL » Logged
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 20:14:16 »

Oh, you spoilsport, IanL, fancy not wearing your combat outfit!

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 00:28:21 »

My personal things I have taken on the train include:
- Cable Cutters, Crimp Tools, Multimeter and Screwdrivers
- Electric Drill
The rest are tools of the trade which are secured in their cases. However they probably could be classed as offensive weapons if a Police Officer was feeling particularly vindictive... Shocked

You're rather more likely to be done for 'going equipped' with that little lot, young trout! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 00:35:11 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 00:46:23 »

Bloke sat in 1st Class from Plymouth this evening with a Sony Vaio all-in-one PC, watching 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

He had what looked like a custom built case for it as well.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 00:53:26 »

Babies: Travel free of charge, if accompanied by a fare paying passenger.

Also, under fives can be 'used' to get discounted fares for Family & Friends Railcard holders.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: