15:34 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:42:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe Storm Predicted Sunday 27th / Monday 28th October 2013  (Read 29023 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 22:53:42 »

...............so NR» (Network Rail - home page) website is ahead of FGW (First Great Western)'s own?

Looking at FGW's twitter stream and filling in some gaps, I reckon FGW's timetable is based on orders given to it by NR for safety procedures and speed limits. So they could be the chicken following the egg (or is it...?)

I've had a ;look at some aviation notices. The forecast issued 22.20 for Bristol airport talks of winds of 20 knots, gusting to 35Kt, until 1am. Then until 4am, heavy rain with 25Kt, gusting 45Kt. Then, with a probability of 40% (to an airman, this means take it seriously), 38Kt gusting 70 Kt can be expected until 6am, when things start to calm down a bit. 70 Knots is over 80mph.. This is actually a moderation of what was forecast earlier, so we may well miss the worst. Brize Norton has lower wind speeds for the same times (for which my daughter will be thankful, as she starts work there at 11pm tonight), and Heathrow is similar.

I've battened down for the night, and poured a cup of Earl Grey.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2013, 23:02:07 »

There are rolling speed restrictions as the storm is predicted to cross the country.

Midnight to 05:00 50mph between Penzance and Taunton
01:00 to 08:00 50mph for the central area (Taunton, Cheltenham, Swindon and Westbury)
05:00 to 10:00 50mph for the east (Swindon, Oxford, Westbury to Paddington)

No speed restrictions north of Oxford or South Wales.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 06:40:50 »

Pirate fm reporting long delays on the trains as a train has hit a fallen tree near Ivybridge.

Highest windspeed recorded reported at 107mph on st martins, isles of Scilly.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 06:56:50 »

High winds just hitting the TV area now.   Although the Marlow branch seems to be running a normal service I have decided to go to work later in the morning

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 07:06:00 »

Pirate fm reporting long delays on the trains as a train has hit a fallen tree near Ivybridge. 

This was an empty CrossCountry Voyager en route from Laira depot to Paignton to form the 0702 to Manchester Piccadilly. That service is now starting at Birmingham New Street.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 07:42:42 »

FGW (First Great Western) are saying on their website the wind speeds overnight were not as high as predicted.

There are a number of trees down - including the Marlow Branch now Electric Train - but FGW have reinstated some of their cancelled services.

The weekend engineering work west of Bedwyn has over-run meaning at least one diversion via Melksham.

It seems Journeycheck has been unable to cope with the number of people trying to view it. This in turn has affected our cancellation map at the top of the page.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:21 »

It seems Chiltern Railway were a little over-confident. At 0330 this morning they said:

Storm - 3.30am Update

Speed restrictions that would have caused widespread disruption on the Chiltern line
have been removed. This makes it easier for us to run as near to a normal service as possible on Monday 28th October.

Trains are planned to run as normal.

At 0715 this morning they said:

We currently have severe disruption on all our lines due to trees on the line. Please check our website for more information.

Checking the website just now and the warning panel is blank and their 'Travel Updates' box has the message 'Too many connections'.  Roll Eyes

So, those early commuters who set out based on the earlier message are going to be somewhat miffed now that Chiltern have been affected quite badly.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2013, 08:19:00 »

Hopeless trying to get onto NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s Journeychecker this morning and finally got onto FGW (First Great Western) at about the 7th attempt - there seems little point referring people to websites for information/before setting out which don't have the capacity to cope when they are really needed - very frustrating.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:44 »

Hopeless trying to get onto NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s Journeychecker this morning and finally got onto FGW (First Great Western) at about the 7th attempt - there seems little point referring people to websites for information/before setting out which don't have the capacity to cope when they are really needed - very frustrating.

<advert>They should get me to train them ... I'll be talking 1000:1 scaling at busy times over the next 3 days, and fallbacks to cached data which may (shock, horror) be between 120 and 300 seconds out of date.</advert>

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18:29 »

SWT (South West Trains) are reporting 29 fallen trees across their network.

All Chiltern services are currently suspended.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:12 »

The Met Office have been congratulating themselves on their forecast being 'on the money', and what transpired was pretty much what was predicted around noon yesterday. This didn't stop an interviewer goading them this morning that they had overdone it, when it was elements in the media that built it up, including using an invented Biblical name for it. Not much more than a routine winter storm really, more damage because it went over populated areas, and trees are still in leaf.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:20 »

Chiltern commenced most services around 1115 with delays for the rest of the day. 18 trees down across their route.

Early trains did get through, including the first (0515) from Birmingham - I was on it. held up in the Denham/Ruislips with trees down (one resting on a down train) finally arriving 42 late. Services suspended shortly afterwards owing to arriving trains at Marylebone not being able to leave again owing to that 'resting' tree.
mathmo

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2013, 13:32:48 »

Stopping services didn't seem to be doing too badly by 10am but now FGW (First Great Western) have cancelled all stops on Oxford stoppers before Reading, leaving Langley and Iver with no trains.  Does anyone know why this is?  I'm worried I won't be able to get home tonight!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2013, 13:45:06 »

Stopping services didn't seem to be doing too badly by 10am but now FGW (First Great Western) have cancelled all stops on Oxford stoppers before Reading, leaving Langley and Iver with no trains.  Does anyone know why this is?  I'm worried I won't be able to get home tonight!

When that happens they normally stop the Paddington<>Reading stopping trains (or at least one of the two that operate per hour) at Langley and Iver instead?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2013, 16:20:13 »

I have to say my journey in from Thatcham (THA) to London Paddington this Monday morning was relatively uneventful.

My local services left THA bang on time at 0547 albeit within a swirl of wind,rain and slipping wheels. The fun started at Reading where there didn't seem to be many services available for London Paddington. Fortunately I noticed an "Ealing Broadway" slow service which as some of you know goes all the way to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).

Although this was a slow service I don't remember seeing many fast services pass us on the fast lines in either directions and I got to PAD a bit later than normal but having had a seat all the way.

This some how reminds me of the story of the "tortoise and the hare"

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: