Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:12 Reading to Newbury
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:57 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 11:35:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: SDO - just a problem on the cotswold line or else where as well....  (Read 15301 times)
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 22:37:09 »

Perhaps the easiest way to solve this problem is to rearrange the carriages within each train so that First Class is somewhere in the middle...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 22:43:14 »

Perhaps the easiest way to solve this problem is to rearrange the carriages within each train so that First Class is somewhere in the middle...

NO!

Thats what happened on the 180s

nightmare

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 22:55:00 »

Quote from: Mookiemoo
NO!

Oh bugger, now I've upset a first-class ticket holder. That means I've only got 12 days to come up with a different New Year's Resolution...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 23:06:40 »

Quote from: Mookiemoo
NO!

Oh bugger, now I've upset a first-class ticket holder. That means I've only got 12 days to come up with a different New Year's Resolution...

Can I just say - not all first class ticket holders are nobs

You do 0632 from WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and then 1822 PAD to WOS 5 days a week and see how long you last standard?

i tried it standard - and ended up a zombie by friday!

Some of us dont do it because we think we're better but because it is the only way it is tolerable.

I dont understand the antipaty towards 1st travellers other than the total nobs who do think they are better than the rest

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

shadow

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 23:22:56 »

I'm sorry now if my next couple of posts sound stupid or anything, i'm just trying to get my head around all of this.

Do bikes have to be at the front or back of the HST (High Speed Train)?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2007, 23:41:51 »

I'm sorry now if my next couple of posts sound stupid or anything, i'm just trying to get my head around all of this.

Depends which power car is on/of the platform where you get on or off........

There is no simple rule

I still do not understand why it had to be this complicated

shadow

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 01:34:12 »

Depends which power car is on/of the platform where you get on or off........

There is no simple rule

I still do not understand why it had to be this complicated

So sometimes its the front, and sometimes it's the back??

Why make it so damn complicated!? would it not just be easier to stick with one way, like the back when the train is in normal formation, and only when it's in reverse formation, have the cycles at the front? Then if it's a short platform, they have to make sure that the end that has the cycles on is on the platform...sorry if i'm repeating stuff that other people have said...

First great western, you will forever bamboozle me
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 11:45:34 »

Official line is that the FRONT  power car is on all platfroms and anyone going to/from a short platform must put their bike in there, if you are travelling between two "long" platforms then you can put your bike in the van at the rear.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 17:18:41 »

Train Fellows post (link below.)
http://trainfellows.blogspot.com/2007/12/selective-door-opening.html

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 09:16:50 »

Lets hope so!!!!!!!

See - I don't understand why they couldn't carry on stopping where they were, after all, there was nearly always a TGS on!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 22:25:59 »

Trials are to take place on certain services at certain locations where the back half of the train is platformed as the system is already in a mess. The 05:24 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is one service where different stopping arrangements will be trialed. Stations like Worle etc the back of the train will be platformed to avoid upsetting the First Class passengers when 100 odd people walk through their carriage (although expect they'll start moaning they have to walk through standard to get to their coach now). This however seems another ill thought out plan, what if you join at one of the stations where the front power car is platformed, put your bike in the power car, then want to leave at a station where the rear of the train is platformed??
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2007, 10:46:54 »

Trials are to take place on certain services at certain locations where the back half of the train is platformed as the system is already in a mess. The 05:24 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is one service where different stopping arrangements will be trialed. Stations like Worle etc the back of the train will be platformed to avoid upsetting the First Class passengers when 100 odd people walk through their carriage (although expect they'll start moaning they have to walk through standard to get to their coach now). This however seems another ill thought out plan, what if you join at one of the stations where the front power car is platformed, put your bike in the power car, then want to leave at a station where the rear of the train is platformed??
I thought that if the train is to stop with the TGS one at one station then they will use the same stopping patern for the whole journey??
John R

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2007, 14:52:34 »

It's not so much that it upsets the 1st class passengers (though I'm sure it does), it's just that passengers instinctively think "oh I can't get on here" and migrate to the standard class. So at Nailsea, instead of 5 platformed standard class coaches, you now have a leading power car, 2x1st class, 1x 1st buffet, and 1 standard class platformed and doors open. Result 60+ passengers trying to enter through a couple of doors instead of nine. So dwell times increase considerably, particularly as the coach available to board is already probably full to standing by the time it gets to Nailsea, because it's been the only available coach at several of the previous stations.

Except on most days common sense has prevailed and the train draws up with the train in its pre December 9th position.

DEVONSHIRE

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 13:04:59 »

I am led to believe from staff at FGW (First Great Western) that the reason that the front of the train is the portion that is platformed is that a consistent stopping position was agreed with the HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate). If there is a signal associated with the platform there are going to be occasions when this is showing red and therefore it is not possible to go past with the First Class and put the rear on the platform. Also the Train Manager now has to be at a particular door panel for each short platform and if in the above scenario they positioned themselves towards the front to release the doors to the rear of their position and the signal was at red they would not be able to release to the rear as some of the rear coaches would be off the platform and would then only be able to release those doors in front of them. On a platform which should hold 6 coaches this would result in only being able to open the front 2.
Not all platforms are fitted with boards to indicate exactly where the driver should position the train if the rear portion is to be platformed and finally all the wheelchair positions are now located in one half of the train - coaches E and G and it is far easier and quicker to reposition a train by drawing forward than by asking permission to set back where the driver would have to change ends, set back into the station and then change ends again.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2008, 13:12:33 »

They stop with First class and coach E at Ivybridge, i know that!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: