Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 18:47:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: GroupSave Blackout Dates - where to find them in advance?  (Read 15746 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 20:12:59 »

I've just had a play around grahame, The National Rail Enquiries Page you quoted in your first post still does not show the December Restrictions! It shows the September, October and November 2013 ones though. Which is of absolutely no help whatsoever.

I have not managed to get FGW (First Great Western)'s WebTIS to offer me GroupSave 3 on any trains from Frome (FRO» (Frome - next trains)) - Bath Spa (BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains)) arriving before 14:00 on Saturday 14th December. I crosschecked this with thetrainline.com and EastCoast. Both gave the same result.

Oldfield Park (OLF) was a different story. FGW WebTIS and thetrainline.com offered GroupSave 3 to Oldfield Park on Saturday 14th December.

The ticket prices in the case of FRO - BTH are exactly the same as FRO - OLF however we know not how this will be taken with a break of journey. I'm sure an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) could see what you were up to, but if the ticket purchased allowed Break of Journey I wonder what could be done about it. Yes it's very much gaming the system and I know that. But in terms of validity... Well I can't decide really.

There is still the option of using PlusBus from OLF into Bath City Centre. You could walk it as well but that would take at least a good 30 minutes.

However here is a useful cheat and one which I believe is perfectly "moral"

Frome - Oldfield Park Off Peak Day Return (CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))):
GroupSave 4 Price: ^19.80
GroupSave 3 Price: ^19.65
4x CDR Price: ^9.90 each x 4 = ^39.60

Oldfield Park - Bath Spa:
4x CDR: ^2.50 each x 4 = ^10.00
3x CDR: ^2.50 each x 3 = ^7.50

Total Frome - Oldfield Park - Bath Spa:
4x Passengers using the Oldfield Park Detour: ^29.80
3x Passengers using the Oldfield Park Detour: ^27.15

Oldfield Park Detour Saving based on:

4x Passengers = ^9.80
3x Passengers = ^2.55

So for 4 Passengers between Frome and Bath Spa on Bath Christmas Market with a scenic detour via Oldfield Park a considerable saving.

Trains from Frome - Oldfield Park normally call there, but if you end up on one of the few where you change at Westbury at Change is necessary at Bath Spa in some cases. Normally it's a later train from Westbury but there are a very few odd balls out there naturally!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 20:23:09 »

If you can link into the SWT (South West Trains) morning services from Westbury (0709, 1121) to Bath then you can use those trains legitimately. Not barred by booking engines...  Roll Eyes

FGW (First Great Western) only protecting from potential overcrowding on their own services it seems.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 20:48:42 »

Of course, I didn't really email FGW (First Great Western) to ask for the list of dates/times. email is so last year!

A public complaint via Facebook gets a much a swifter response. Not a perfect one mind... but attached is a list of barred dates/times/destinations up to 25th January 2014. 

I note that the long-standing Friday afternoon bars from Paddington to the West on the 14:06, 15:06, 16:06, 17:03, 18:03, 19:03 aren't listed. Presumably then, GroupSave is now permitted on these services.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 21:46:32 »

The ticket prices in the case of FRO» (Frome - next trains) - BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) are exactly the same as FRO - OLF however we know not how this will be taken with a break of journey. I'm sure an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) could see what you were up to, but if the ticket purchased allowed Break of Journey I wonder what could be done about it. Yes it's very much gaming the system and I know that. But in terms of validity... Well I can't decide really.

I would not try it, as it is clear that you are trying to avoid paying the correct fare for the journey. Even if it was decided that it could not be challenged, if the railway had evidence that it was being abused, it could have consequences for the whole of the GroupSave scheme. A similar example of this is where some TOCs (Train Operating Company) felt that people were using the All Line Rover for purposes other than travelling around the country for a week. Now in that case, there was no question that what people were doing was perfectly legitimate (using it, as an example, for two peak returns from Manchester to London). But the consequence was that restrictions have been slapped on it, to avoid such usage, to the detriment of genuine users of the Rover.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 22:01:35 »

Just had confirmation on Facebook that the bar on Friday afternoon services from Paddington to the West has been lifted.

Somehow I think Arran at FGW (First Great Western) Facebook may be wrong on that one. Booking engines still bar them.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 11:21:48 »

You would be allowed to travel - as the offer WAS obviously in place at the time you bought your ticket.

It is for the TOC (Train Operating Company) to ensure online or ticket office staff are aware of any black-out dates & prevent the sale. If you achieve the discount, there is no way that they can subsequently be dishonoured. THat is the law of the land wherever you buy this sort of offer in whatever merchandise area....

So go ahead & book. If you can find the offer on the dates you want, it's yours.

But if they subsequently apply the offer after you buy non-discount, that is your lookout.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 15:55:32 »

Just had confirmation on Facebook that the bar on Friday afternoon services from Paddington to the West has been lifted.

Somehow I think Arran at FGW (First Great Western) Facebook may be wrong on that one. Booking engines still bar them.

Despite NOT being on the list given to me by FGW, and having one FGW Facebook employee telling me GroupSave WAS permitted, Friday afternoon services to the West ARE barred from use of GroupSave.

Not a clue. Only in the rail industry would their be so much disinformation, or lack of information regarding the terms of a special offer.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

At least NRE(resolve) have been spurred into action. GroupSave barred dated for the next three months have now gone online. Like the trains, better late than never.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/48462.aspx

But, what's this? GroupSave is barred to Bath before 1400 on Saturday 21st December. Reason? Bath Christmas Market. Which finishes on 15th December 2013.

Not a clue.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 17:10:00 »

Doing FGW (First Great Western)'s job for them without thanks.

It's because of Rugby in Bath on 21st December, not Christmas Market.  Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 17:17:01 »

Still can't understand why the Christmas market closes 10 days before Christmas. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 23:53:48 »

Because they'll want to clear the shelves and start stocking Easter eggs, probably.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 00:20:28 »

Retailers.

Set up a garden shed in the street or a car park. Stick a bit on tinsel on it and some coloured lights. Then sell festive goods at three times the price they can be had for online.

Call it a Christmas Market.

Cynical? Moi?  Lips sealed

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 00:29:10 »

One could always wait until the last day and grab the gear as they desperately flog it off at a fraction of the originally marked price...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 00:31:29 »

Had a quick look around after the Colin Maggs lecture http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13201.msg143054#msg143054 and there were some nice things to be had.

Inevitably one of my favourites was the cheddar cheese stall. Some very nice varieties which are unlikely to last in my fridge until Christmas. None of those foreign ones or those with mould in!   Grin

Also picked up a few ideas for Christmas pressies which I might buy next week.

Oh and just for bignosemac the sheds have arrived in Swindon for their Christmas market which starts on Thursday (5th). Somehow I doubt they'll need to ban Groupsave for that!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 06:08:55 »

Retailers.

Set up a garden shed in the street or a car park. Stick a bit on tinsel on it and some coloured lights. Then sell festive goods at three times the price they can be had for online.

Call it a Christmas Market.

Cynical? Moi?  Lips sealed
Yep that about sums it up, yet people flock to Bath from all over the country to view these products in a garden shed and it gets bigger every year stretching Bath's transport infustructure beyond the limit. I think most people in Bath will be glad to see the back of it and see the city return to something near normality for this time of year. Still a nice little earner for the council.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 16:56:54 »

Noticed the list of barred dates on National Rail enquiries now runs to the end of March.  Every one is introduced by FGW (First Great Western).  Does no other TOC (Train Operating Company), which takes Groupsave, bar dates?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: