29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:51:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Reply To Third Rate Western Keynsham HST Query  (Read 9596 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:07:31 »

Can be found in the link below.
http://thirdratewestern.blogspot.com/2007/12/official-train-crew-are-blind.html

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 14:52:58 »

I sent a photo to FGW (First Great Western) customer services showing exactly how much space is available. You can see it here.

Of course, if you are "i-hate-whinging-commuters", I wouldn't bother looking  Tongue
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 15:33:14 »

I sent a photo to FGW (First Great Western) customer services showing exactly how much space is available. You can see it here.

Of course, if you are "i-hate-whinging-commuters", I wouldn't bother looking  Tongue

You'll be wanting the link to go with that....here is a related one.
http://thirdratewestern.blogspot.com/2008/01/theres-space-available.html

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 21:09:58 »

Latest response from FGW (First Great Western) is here:

http://thirdratewestern.blogspot.com/2008/01/theres-no-legal-limit.html
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 21:34:07 »

Nice to see you're still slating the Frontline staff for things that have nothing to do with them...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 22:26:47 »

I agree with Shazz here: a very good point has been made, in another thread, on this subject - see

I'm sure that the staff and management are very safety conscious.....which is a very good thing!  The only main area which I think compromises safety is the overcrowding of carriages as this results in many passengers standing in the aisles and doorways.  There's no such thing as standing room on coaches and aeroplanes.  I feel that trains should be the same.
You are right that safety is our number one priority when working a train, and FGW (First Great Western) are very hot on this, and rightly so. The example you raise of overcrowded trains, is a massive problem which for some reason is not acted upon by the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s. There apparently is no law or legislation relating to how many passengers can be crammed into a train, and it is left to the conductor/train managers discretion (normally the conductor, as you rarely see an HST (High Speed Train) formed of 1 coach!). The only problem is when a single 153 arrives at Bristol TM(resolve) or Exeter Central at 1720, how does the guard try to stop hundreds of people boarding, who just want to get home from work/college etc? You just try and get as many on as you can, squeeze yourself in, apologise to the passengers left behind, and hope nothing happens on the journey as there is no way you can get through the train! As for the profit first thing, in this scenario, you cannot physically check or sell tickets, so it's probably 'profit second, safety second'!

The other option is to refuse to move the train until you feel it is safe to do so, i.e. remove passengers until all of the train is accessible to the guard. This rarely happens as it normally just causes a lot more problems Undecided

As Shazz says, please don't give the front line staff stick for doing something they themselves are clearly very unhappy about!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 18:21:10 »

Nice to see you're still slating the Frontline staff for things that have nothing to do with them...
Where on earth am I slating frontline staff? I'm saying that the FGW (First Great Western) policy is that there's no legal limit so it's left to discretion. My point is that there should be some legislation and that the staff shouldn't be expected to make a judgement call over people's safety. So actually I'm defending the frontline staff. Obviously not very clearly though. The whole point of my blog is that the people running the show are doing a piss poor job of it. Do the frontline staff disagree with this?
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 18:27:33 »

http://thirdratewestern.blogspot.com/2007/12/official-train-crew-are-blind.html

For example
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 18:33:18 »

Oh come on, get real, does sarcasm go straight over your head?? I said:

"or possibly the Third Rate Western management know damn well the trains are full because their staff and customers are telling them but they don't care. I wonder which it is."

Are you objecting to the "train crew are blind" title? We're clearly never going to agree on this but I'd argue that you're being a touch OTT (Open Train Times website) with your criticism of my writing style (or lack of it, as the case may be).
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 18:47:43 »

I think any insults towards the staff are just not right!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 18:49:04 »

Still can't believe this service is a 180  Sad Huh
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 18:57:12 »

Sorry but the staff aren't all perfect, dedicated employees. For example, the "revenue protection" woman who flatly refused to let my colleague cross the footbridge at Chippenham without a ticket, even though he was heading to the ticket machine to buy one due to the huge queues in the ticket office. That's nothing to do with being disgruntled about having a crappy employer, that's just plain ridiculous, obnoxious and unnecessary. I could list numerous other bad experiences I've had with FGW (First Great Western) staff.

Certainly it's not fair to criticise all FGW staff as many (most?) of them are decent folk. But it's laughable to think that there's no such thing as a bad employee.

FWIW (for what it's worth), I already removed virtually all criticism of staff from my blog. If you can't see past tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic comments which are clearly aimed at FGW management, then I guess I'll just have to accept having one less reader of my blog.
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 18:58:09 »

Latest claim from FGW (First Great Western) customer services is that it will be gone in 2 weeks.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 19:32:39 »

Sorry but the staff aren't all perfect, dedicated employees. For example, the "revenue protection" woman who flatly refused to let my colleague cross the footbridge at Chippenham without a ticket, even though he was heading to the ticket machine to buy one due to the huge queues in the ticket office. That's nothing to do with being disgruntled about having a crappy employer, that's just plain ridiculous, obnoxious and unnecessary. I could list numerous other bad experiences I've had with FGW (First Great Western) staff.

Daft yes, but also the rules. Railway Bylaws state the station IS NOT a public right of way, and to there knowledge that is what it was being used for, so were right to do that, really.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 19:33:19 »

Latest claim from FGW (First Great Western) customer services is that it will be gone in 2 weeks.
Friday is the last booked day for that service, and indeed for a 180 in the SOUTH WEST.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: