29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:51:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[125] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[88] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[46] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: National Rail Guide to Tickets  (Read 10257 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 03, 2013, 21:33:58 »

I picked up a copy of "National Rail Guide to Tickets" dated June 2013 this evening; had a few minute to kill, and skim-read it.

"Time restrictions apply on the use of some Rover and Ranger tickets"

I - err - question the use of the word "some". All the ranger and rover tickets that I know of (i.e. including services in Wiltshire) have some sort of restrictions on them (may be only on certain days of the week).  Does that apply elsewhere too, or "some" a realistic word to use for the country in general,  with many / most rover and ranger products outside the South West carrying few if any time restrictions?

A full range of tickets is available from staffed ticket offices at National Rail stations throughout Great Britain

Now that's interesting, because I have (twice now, and it's not consistant) been refused service on the grounds that I am booking too many tickets at once.  What is the limit?  "Full range" doesn't imply rationing of tickets, save for quotas on Advanced where there is a limited supply in the first place.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 21:53:28 »

There are, as far as I'm aware, no Rovers or Rangers in Great Britain* that are totally without time restrictions. The All Line Rover (ALR (All Line Rover)) used to be unrestricted on weekdays, but canny long distance commuters realised that the ALR was cheaper and of more use than alternative walk-up or seasons tickets.

Now the ALR has morning restrictions boarding or alighting at many major stations in and around London, as well as Birmingham New Street. Commendably, FGW (First Great Western) and NXEA (National Express East Anglia) (now Greater Anglia) were the only long distance operators who didn't add an AM restriction on the ALR into their major London terminal.

Former SoS for Transport, Andrew Adonis, heavily promoted his use of ALRs during his time as cabinet minister. It was shortly after this publicity that the price was increased and the restrictions introduced. Any link between these events is, of course, purely coincidental.  Tongue

*Overseas visitors can purchase BritRail Rovers of various flavours (area covered, class of travel, adult/youth/senior, high/low season, length of validity) and these have no time restrictions.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:49:18 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 22:18:43 »

The restriction (can't alight or depart before 10am at the stations listed) must devalue the product for a lot of genuine users. I'm not sure how enforceable the "alight at New St" is with a bit of judicious planning, but the others appear pretty watertight, by the inclusion of stops such as Milton Keynes, Stevenage and Bedford as well as KX, Euston and St Pancras.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 22:30:15 »

Still ways to get round the 10am restriction though. National Rail Conditions of Carriage 19(c) can be useful...

As for the Birmingham New St restriction. You can still get into central Birmingham early doors on an ALR (All Line Rover) by alighting at places such as Wolverhampton and taking a local service.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:47:17 »

And back to the second part of grahame's query.

I don't think there's a ration on the number of tickets a clerk should sell. That's probably either obstinacy, or the possibility that there may have been a large queue at the time.

If the former, then no excuse. If the latter, then a simple apology with the reason stated should have been forthcoming.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:03:07 »

The Southern DaySave Peak (at ^35 per day) is the only ranger or rover that I can think of without a time restriction.

This isn't available to purchase at any ticket office though...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:38 »

Good shout Brucey.

Which has reminded me of the Freedom Travelpass available in the former Avon county area. Comes in both Peak and Off Peak flavours, with varying areas of validity, as well as varying periods of validity. Most of which are purchasable on the day.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:01:56 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:07:35 »

When using the Freedom Travelpass, I would advise taking the relevant publicity leaflet with you, as there have been issues with bus drivers being reluctant to accept versions that are printed on rail tickets.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:29:13 »

I concur Lee.

I was once almost stranded at UWE Filton when a Wessex Connect bus driver refused to believe that my Freedom Travelpass on rail orange stock was valid. I sat down and told him to prove otherwise. Slightly belligerent on my part, and his call to 'control' merely got the response, "Let him travel, but I think its only valid on First buses."

Snotty email to Wessex got me confirmation my ticket was valid, a free day pass, and a promise that Wessex drivers would be reminded of the validity of the Freedom Travelpass. That were a couple of years ago. No problems since.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:52:38 »

I had a Wiltshire Day Rover yesterday and on one bus I caught the driver said "I expect we take them, not sure" - and let me travel!
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:55 »

A few years ago I was going to visit a customer in ******. Went on the train, and bought a PlusBus so as to get out to their offices. The bus driver refused to accept it. But I did get reimbursed, in cash, immediately, by the customer. Understandable, given that I was visiting the Commercial Director of the bus company in question.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 13:06:25 »

That's the sort of post, W_P, that deserves a *like*.

I hope a rocket was fired up the bottom of the bus driver who refused to accept your PlusBus.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 14:54:20 »

Another ticket I can think of without peak restrictions is the North Wales Rover, which is actually a day ranger. It offers very good value bus and train travel for one day, with varying areas of validity available for varying prices.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr288e170a04000401a827150cf1c5f6.aspx
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 14:59:19 »

The Island Line Day Ranger on the Isle of Wight has no restrictions.

There is also the Island Liner Day Rover which has no restrictions but is only available on days when the steam railway is operating as it includes travel on that.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 15:15:15 »

Seems my, "as far as I'm aware" has been resoundingly shot out of the water.  Undecided Tongue Grin

Brucey fired the first shot, I followed up, and now Southern Stag and bobm have all but sunk bignosemac's HMS Supposition.  Embarrassed

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: