29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:53:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Doris can't count and fibs!  (Read 13522 times)
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:01 »

On Saturday 30th November 2013 I was waiting at Frome for the 1007 to Gloucester. According to the announcements the train was delayed by "an unusually large passenger flow" and that "this train has four coaches" which it usually has had recently. When I saw that the approaching train had only two coaches I made haste to the centre of the platform and just managed to board. The train was vastly overcrowded, very uncomfortable, and many passengers were left behind. I would submit that rather than the train being delayed by the passenger flow it was delayed by the short formation. Two extra carriages were waiting at Westbury to be attached, there were already quite a few passengers on board, and by the time we left it was pretty well filled from the overflow from the original unit. It was back to full and standing at Trowbridge. Would it not have been possible to have run the unit waiting at Westbury to Frome given that train and station staff were aware of the (potential) passenger numbers? While it might not cause too much inconvenience to be left behind where there is another train 20 minutes or so later, a two and a half hour wait for the next train is a little unreasonable if you happen to have just purchased a ticket. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 11:21:15 »

To run the unit from Westbury to Frome and attach there to the service up from Weymouth would require 'calling on' signals at Frome station.

Fairly certain no such facility exists at Frome station.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:42:42 »

Yes, sorry, I forgot all about 'calling on' signals. It seemed like a bright idea whilst perfecting my sardine impressions on Saturday!
Anyway, I wish every success to all those involved in the new improved Trans Wilts on Sunday, have a good day, I'm sorry that I can't be there, but I look forward to a trip to Melksham one day next week.
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:15:54 »

Frome station has a rather sparse train service, particularly off-peak and at weekends, and demand is growing (not least driven by significant housing development within a short walk of the station in the last few years). As for the Sunday service, it is trapped in a timewarp from days when working and shopping on Sundays were relatively unusual activies with only about four trains a day each way. Overall the service provision has not changed significantly in the 25 or so years I've been living in the area, despite significant population growth and changes in employment patterns.

It's probably a difficult one to solve economically: Frome is naturally served by trains operating between Westbury and Weymouth, but it's probably difficult to make a case to increase the level of service on the route as a whole. Maybe there is scope for more services to run on parts of the route, however I guess that this might also require additional subsidy. I understand that some options were considered as part of the aborted Greater Western refranchising.

Regarding train formations, overcrowding is becoming more frequent, and is a real problem on days when there is a rugby match in Bath. When there are additional attractors such as the Christmas market, we see severe problems such as that experienced by Alan Pettitt. I realise that rolling stock is not a free resource, but I wonder if more can be done to lengthen trains off-peak and at weekends, using the additional coaches which are used in the peak (provided that this rolling stock can be in the right place at the right time)?

I think that bignosemac is correct that the operating arrangements at Frome do not currently allow for routine joining and splitting of trains. I remember once that a train was attached to another which had broken down in the platform, however the time taken to plan and undertake this manoeuvre suggested that special arrangements had to be made to allow it to happen.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:51:05 »

As for the Sunday service, it is trapped in a timewarp from days when working and shopping on Sundays were relatively unusual activies with only about four trains a day each way.
This is a more general problem - all rail services are trapped in this timewarp.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:52:11 »

Frome should really be on the radar of campaigners for an improved service. A similar sized town in the neighbouring county has just got a much improved rail service.

Frome has the potential, if not already so, to be a major railhead for a very large catchment area. At the moment it is somewhat out on a limb, being only served by an infrequent service between Bristol and Weymouth. With a couple of token services to/from London.

With signalling (and available rolling stock - the perennial problem) there should be scope for an hourly Bristol<>Frome service. And/or Swindon<>Frome via TransWilts.

Ideally, the line to Radstock and Midsomer Norton should be reopened with a re-sited Frome station on North Parade to avoid reversals. That though is a pipe dream. A more frequent service to/from Westbury/Bath/Bristol/Swindon should be the immediate aim.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 13:25:24 »

The other problem in making the case for additional trains at Frome is its proximity to Westbury. For those potential passengers who would drive to Frome station (particularly in the north of the catchment, Stonebridge etc.), once in the car you might as well make the twelve minutes drive to Westbury and benefit from the more frequent train service.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 15:03:09 »

And those without a car?

Buses aren't particularly good in that neck of the woods.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 16:08:30 »

I agree. I specifically gave up my car six years ago to use the train nearly every day, back then you could at least usually get on the said train! FGW (First Great Western) seem to be proud that HoW(resolve) usage has increased (nearly doubled) but no extra trains. I make a point of never complaining to FGW staff because I think they do a fantastic job with the equipment available.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 17:53:53 »

Therein lies the problem. And it's not unique to Frome. Demand has outstripped the available rolling stock across the country. Maybe, just maybe, there is scope for a more frequent service on the Heart of Wessex Line, but rolling stock pressures may preclude this. What is immediately available* is going to TransWilts for that improved service. Then there's the possibility of the return of loco-hauled services between Cardiff and Taunton from December 2014. That'll free up another couple of DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), but I suspect they will be used to strengthen existing services rather than provide the opportunity to increase frequency.

*Nothing additional as far as I'm aware, just a change in diagrams. Although possibly an extra unit hired in from SWT (South West Trains). grahame?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 18:15:34 »

I'm just guessing but perhaps poor Doris didn't realise there were only 2 coaches for part of the journey, as you mention there were 4 from Westbury onwards.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 18:18:28 »

The CIS (Customer Information System) does tend to get a bit confused where the formation is not the same throughout the journey, and quite often gets it wrong.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 19:02:13 »

Regarding train formations, overcrowding is becoming more frequent, and is a real problem on days when there is a rugby match in Bath. When there are additional attractors such as the Christmas market, we see severe problems such as that experienced by Alan Pettitt. I realise that rolling stock is not a free resource, but I wonder if more can be done to lengthen trains off-peak and at weekends, using the additional coaches which are used in the peak (provided that this rolling stock can be in the right place at the right time)?

I seem to recall that rolling stock was at a premium on Saturday, with the added draw of a rugby international in Cardiff, which would certainly have soaked up many spare dmu's.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:04:31 »

A doubling of traffic doesn't necessarily mean that a doubling in provision (be it longer trains or more of them) is required; if the trains were previously half empty and the extra traffic fills them - good. And community rail in many areas is about doing (and having done successfully) that extra loading.  I know the HoW(resolve) CRP (Community Rail Partnership) has done very well in adding passengers; I don't know enough about the line to say with certainty if and when it passed the threshold of really needing more capacity, but clearly growth tends to happen on all services so that it does bring potential overcrowding issues on what were the busiest of trains already.  It may not be an accident that there is no Saturday northbound connection being provided in the early evening from Weymouth to Swindon even after 8th December, but it is there on the other 6 days of the week.

Frome and Melksham are of similar size and not too far from each other.  They could be said to have similar characters too.  Frome has 14 services per day towards Westbury, and station usage figures of 145,540 last year; Melksham had 2 services per day and station usage figures of 11,330.  The service count in one direction at Melksham rises to 8 from next week, and it will be interesting to see just how much passenger numbers rise there, and how quickly, in the direction of the Frome numbers.

I wouldn't argue with suggestions that an increase of trains from Frome (there are 4 or 5 significant gaps towards Westbury, taking that example) would go down well. Indeed it's probable that filling the gaps would bring significant extra traffic.  There is logic for Westbury terminators from the Trowbridge direction to carry on there if the timing is right. Logically, the coming of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), electrification timetable changes through Chippenham and Bath, and a new longer franchise are going to be the time to take a look at that and indeed at extending other Westbury terminators to Salisbury, or even being run by trains based there. That's not really what's happening from next weekend, though.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 10:57:59 »

And those without a car?

Buses aren't particularly good in that neck of the woods.

They either walk/cycle/taxi to Frome station and make do with its relatively sparse train services, or they use one of the regular bus services to Bath or Trowbridge. My point was that for many passengers who access the railway by car, it's a short drive to another station with more trains. If Frome station had more trains with decent connections then these passengers (myself included) might be less inclined to drive to Westbury or Bath. But that's fairly speculative on my part Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: