Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:30:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: More Infill Electrification Announced  (Read 13317 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:38:00 »

DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) announced today the sparking of Bolton to Wigan, and a wider study of electrification in the North of England. The route announced today appears to have come out of the blue, and given that it was a national announcement, I'm surprised that Newbury to Bedwyn wasn't included. However, the rail element of the announcement does appear to have had a somewhat northern bias. Well, exclusively northern to be precise.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:16:33 »

Makes sense once you've got the teams rigging the wires they might as well just keep rolling.

Wigan Bolton makes sense it  gives another electrified route to the WCML (West Coast Main Line) from Manchester are they going on to Southport?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:03:27 »

No (or at least, not yet.)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:57:29 »

What prescient posters we all  are.

Much of this was discussed in "More North West Electrification", back in August.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) seem to be responding to our pearls of wisdom.

Seasons greetings,

OTC
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 18:24:41 »

I'm surprised that Newbury to Bedwyn wasn't included.

I suspect it is still going through the costing exercises, likely to be tacked on to the Thames Valley and Cardiff Valleys electrification project or the So'hamton / Nuneaton scheme

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 22:42:41 »

It needs to go to Westbury, to end the ridiculous situation where trains terminate at Bedwyn in the middle of nowhere, meaning random HST (High Speed Train) have to cover stops at Westbury and Pewsey.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 23:20:40 »

It needs to go to Westbury, to end the ridiculous situation where trains terminate at Bedwyn in the middle of nowhere, meaning random HST (High Speed Train) have to cover stops at Westbury and Pewsey.
If everyone boarding trains at Westbury wanted to go to Paddington that would be fine.
In practice, many passengers are heading towards Devon and Cornwall (perhaps having arrived from the Southampton direction).
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 00:20:24 »

Westbury is a very useful interchange. It is let down at the moment by the poor service to/from the South West, and often poor connections. If there were more frequent, reasonably timed connections at Westbury off trains to/from the South West it would be useful. Generally if you're already on a train from Plymouth or Penzance it will be quicker to go to Salisbury or Southampton via Westbury than on SWT (South West Trains) via Yeovil Junction, but the currently the SWT service is often more attractive as it offers a clockface timetable.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:16:30 »

I'm for Westbury being included, if only to give Bath to Westbury a chance of being included in the next phase.

Now, please!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 11:43:50 »

In a logical progression one would hope to see Bedwyn - Westbury, Bristol -  Exeter/Plymouth, making Westbury - Bristol next as adiversion, folowed by Trowbridge - Chippenham (possible reinstatement of Bradford North curve) .

If Reading - Southampton is going to be 25Kv then Basingstoke - Salisbury/Exeter follows. Which leaves Southampton - Salisbury/ Westbury, Eastleigh - Romsey and Castle Cary - Yeovil. More problematic is Yeovil - Dorchester but it might as well be done to eliminate diesel traction
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:58:32 »

With Network Rail currently sitting on ^32,000,000,000,000 of national debt ......... opps I mean that's what NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s borrowing is, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will not rush in and do all these schemes at once, Westbury to Bathampton and Thingley will be driven by the need of an alternative route for perturbation and fright.

We are looking at possibly 10 years or more for many of these to get done

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 13:09:31 »

^32 Trillion?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 13:23:40 »

Westbury to Bathampton and Thingley will be driven by the need of an alternative route for perturbation and fright.

We are looking at possibly 10 years or more for many of these to get done

Indeed so, ET. The time for planning for any further infill in this current phase, and for what the HOOP train and team do when the current planned upgrades are complete is now. I would hope that a timetable of the next phase is worked out and published at least a year before the GWR (Great Western Railway) and Northern projects are complete. It would be good to have a formal conduit for local transport authorities or rail users' organisations to be able to make representations as to what would be the best next step.

The ultimate aim should be for as much of the railway to be electrified as possible. Commuter services, such as the proposed Greater Bristol Metrorail, will always work most efficiently with electric trains. Also, we are just over a year away from the start of the South Yorkshire tram-train trial. That could turn out to be a game-changer in local rail transport, bringing commuters into city and town centres rather than just to stations. But it needs electrification to make it possible.

The worst thing that could happen would be for DafT to see the current projects to the end, then sell the HOOP kit to some other country, and stop there.

And you are right in saying that ^32 trillion is a fright. (I'm no George Osborne, but is that the correct number of zeros?)

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 14:26:26 »

With Network Rail currently sitting on ^32,000,000,000,000 of national debt ......... opps I mean that's what NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s borrowing is, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will not rush in and do all these schemes at once, Westbury to Bathampton and Thingley will be driven by the need of an alternative route for perturbation and fright.

And you are right in saying that ^32 trillion is a fright. (I'm no George Osborne, but is that the correct number of zeros?)

Network Rail's Accounts say ^37,091 Million (i.e. ^37,091,000,000) of non current liabilities of which only ^29,000 million is borrowing.  I am not sure which components to add up to match your figure, but I am certain that you a factor of 1,000 to high! 

I would settle for ^32 billion (using the American definition).  A similar number to the estimated cost of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). I believe the UK (United Kingdom) water industry has a similar debt. That compares to the 2008 UK government bank bailout of ^500 billion.

I leave others to judge how scarey these numbers are.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 14:51:18 »

Only ^37 billion then. Phew! That's a relief!

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: