07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 09:26:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Women in Railway Careers  (Read 25697 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 22:39:02 »

Engineering is not just about the equations. It is about creativity and people working together.  The equations are the easy bit they don't have off-days and you can always look them up in books! A team that has people that think differently is certainly a strength on the creative side and complementary skills are a boon when it comes to actually getting the job done.  You cannot pigeon-hole people, but yes women do bring a different perspective and in doing so strengthen any male-dominated team.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 06:52:38 »

And just as an anecdote. On my most recent trip on my local line, all three staff (driver, conductor, ticket examiner) were female.

Looking wider, outside the rail industry, my full time day job is in IT training.  Each week, a group of delegates learns a programming language such as Ruby, Lua or Perl off me, or how to handle the intricacies of Regular Expressions, or something like that.   Looking back to the start of this month, I have trained [[gets out fingers ..]]  6 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 15 men and 3 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 3 ladies. An all-male course is nothing to write home about, but an all-female one is.

Contrast that to my second job, where I lightly help manage the accommodation that's grown up around the IT training business and has become a hotel in its own right.  There are seven on the team (full time, part time, occasional) who can do the breakfasts, run the hotel (really manage it!), reception, checkins, decorating and maintenance, washing and ironing, stock control and so on and so forth (we make it interesting by sharing roles) and that's six ladies and one [in those roles occasional] man.

I think some of it comes to a natural disposition.  It's oft-said that "men don't have babies" so we're not so much looking at equality being "identical" but rather the provision of the same level of opportunity;  in our hotel role, we've had key male staff in the past and, yes, with the right person it works well.   But it's the person and not the gender, and the natural disposition leads to a certain skew.   Don't just take a look at our hotel experience - look also at those IT training figures a gave you; there's a number of very different organisations there - a governmental one, heavy engineering, communications and media ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 11:10:14 »

Good morning all, and thanks once again for your interesting input.

I think ellendune's comments say it all really.  Surely not just in engineering but all types of employment it is the different perspectives available in a joint-gender situation that improves the skill mix.  grahame has illustrated the same point talking about his hotel staff; sounds like a super environment in which to work, changing roles in that way.

One thing that does make me hopping mad is to be automatically landed with a stereotypical gender role:  I once volunteered my services at a function, some while back.  The co-ordinator said " oh goodie, you can make the teas and poor (man's name) who had been stuck with that task can go off and do something more interesting" 

I don't think so.   Angry

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 10:54:57 »

I stumbled across this article in The Telegraph today.
Thomas the Tank Engine needs more female trains, Labour MP (Member of Parliament) says

Mary Creagh, Labour's shadow transport secretary, says Thomas the Tank Engine needs more female engines to encourage girls to be train drivers

Continues
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10532989/Thomas-the-Tank-Engine-needs-more-female-trains-Labour-MP-says.html

As an aside, I was recently on a Ryanair flight where the captain and first officer were both female, with all four cabin crew being male.  Things are certainly beginning to change, albeit considerably more slowly than many would hope.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 19:09:13 »

Since Cynthia first posted on this topic, I've kept a list of women in senior positions on the railway. I make no claim for it to be complete, I just noted down the names (if I remembered!) when I came across them. For what it's worth:

Fiona Taylor - NR» (Network Rail - home page) Route managing director for Kent
Dyan Crowther - NR Route Managing Director LNW
Louise Kavanagh - NR Finance Director - Group Asset Management
Anna Matthews - DeltaRail^s Chief Executive
Karen Boswell - MD, East Coast Trains
Anna Walker - Chair(person) of ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about).

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 19:22:11 »

There's also the excellent Sue Evans, Director of Communications at First Great Western; and Elaine Holt ... http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/elaine-holt/1b/3a0/642  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 21:11:10 »

Hey guys, thank you very much for taking enough interest in this subject to keep it topical.  It's great to see some women up there in top rail jobs.  However I daresay this still represents quite a small percentage of women in leading roles.  It's a start, and a very positive one, I just hope this trend continues apace.

Is it known how long these women have been in these posts? Is it a 21st century phenomenon?  I keep meaning to have a look at the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) website to see if there are any female candidates standing for the late Bob Crow's position.  Anyone any idea?  Thanks again fellers, heartening news.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 21:26:53 »

Is it known how long these women have been in these posts? Is it a 21st century phenomenon? 

There have been women prior ... at First Great Western we had Alison Forster (joined FGW (First Great Western) in 1980 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unIZUQVlqqg ) and Glenda Lamont (joined first in 2001 - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/glenda-lamont/5/860/112 ) - as I recall they were MD and Marketing director at the time the previous franchise's services replaced the Wessex Trains ones.   Then there's Ann Gloag at Stagecoach, who also first got involved in the early 1980s ... not sure when they got into trains too, but I think it was before she took a back seat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1572482/Robin-Gloag.html
http://www.scottish-places.info/people/famousfirst527.html

Edit to add further data, dates and links
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 21:34:50 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 21:48:49 »

Thanks for that grahame, and I will look at the links you've included, tomorrow probably.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 21:50:51 »

There is an interesting ongoing discussion on women as signallers here: http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6465
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 19:01:30 »

One of my clients used to be a Signaller on the railways (She is female) Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 21:05:40 »

Used to be?  What happened?  Perhaps she just retired......

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 22:08:29 »

Used to be?  What happened?  Perhaps she just retired......

It's not clear to me whether she's a former signaller, or a former client.  Knowing thetrout's love of pedancy and jesting with the rest of us, it could be either one of those, or indeed both.

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 20:41:20 »

It's not clear to me whether she's a former signaller, or a former client.  Knowing thetrout's love of pedancy and jesting with the rest of us, it could be either one of those, or indeed both.

Former Signaller on the Railway; Now in the Restaurant Business and a current client of mine Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 21:06:05 »

'In the restaurant business'!  That covers a wide range of career paths; anyway, I wonder whether this lady is happier in her current post than she was as a signaller?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: