17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 17:26:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417004 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2014, 17:05:27 »

FGW (First Great Western) were also saying the first time shuttles ran OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) that there are electrics around the axles, and waves created going faster than 5mph washed water into them...thus damaging the train requiring repair.

Hence they won't run all their stock through the water.

As I said - which is better - a couple of days-ish like this, or a whole load of units out for weeks?
Frankly I think this is a load of hogwash. If a train can't withstand running through a few mm of water at 5mph for a very short distance then it isn't fit for purpose. Do they not get wet when it rains, or damp when left in sidings for the weekend or when they go through the carriage wash?

Yes, hogwash (was there a pun intended there?) as far as I can tell as well.  Let's be clear, the flooding at Hinksey yesterday was well below the railhead.  No damage would have been caused at 5mph as that would be nowhere near enough to cause any waves.  Should the water level rise significantly above the railhead (as they did at the same location at Christmas) then special measures need to be taken. 

In the case of Hinksey it is not flash floods that have caused the flooding but rising river levels.  They rise and fall at a speed that is quite easy to monitor and call a halt should it become too serious.  There was no reason why a more intensive service, or services with more carriages, could not have operated yesterday based on the conditions on the ground.  Plenty of drivers were sat around doing nothing to shuffle the sets around if that was needed.  The reason it didn't happen is more due to the overcautious nature of those that make the decisions than anything else.  An increase in the shuttle service to every 30 minutes is most welcome, though the staff on the ground and the poor passengers are quite right to feel very let down.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2014, 17:12:07 »

Yes, hogwash (was there a pun intended there?) as far as I can tell as well.  Let's be clear, the flooding at Hinksey yesterday was well below the railhead. 

OK, I'll call you. Proof please. I saw that photo too - a snapshot of a millisecond across the whole day. What other proof have you got? My NR» (Network Rail - home page) contact told me it rose in the morning....your contact?

The reason it didn't happen is more due to the overcautious nature of those that make the decisions than anything else.  An increase in the shuttle service to every 30 minutes is most welcome, though the staff on the ground and the poor passengers are quite right to feel very let down.

I don't disagree to an extent - but as I keep saying, surely it better to be ultra-cautious and have most/all units on-going available, than not be cautious & lose a load of units to damage & weeks of repairs.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2014, 17:13:58 »

On a Lighter note  Tongue I almost wish I'd made it into London today..Maidenhead has such a good fast/HST (High Speed Train) service this evening.. I'd be spoilt for choice  Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2014, 17:17:29 »

Good to see that Cross Country were operating services down to Exeter today via Bath and Westbury.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2014, 17:18:58 »

....one part of the Company plan may be ensuring that when replacement buses are advertised from Maidenhead as they were this morning would be to (a) ensure they turn up in at least something like sufficient quantities somewhere near the times they are needed and (b) ensure that the drivers aren't already up to their permissible driving hours......they failed in both of these this morning.

Maybe the TOCs (Train Operating Company) could maintain a small fleet of coaches for these circumstances and other bustitutions rather than relying on ad hoc arrangements with third parties?

I know from experience that getting buses, even with a fair bit of warning, in sufficient quantities to deal with that sort of passenger flow is nigh on impossible.  Buses that are used for the school runs are doing just that, and service buses are also in heavy demand throughout the day, especially at rush hour.

Weekends (when most of the bustitution takes place) are far easier to sort out as long as you have a bit of notice as the school runs are not needed, hence weekend blocks (such as the WCML (West Coast Main Line) blocks at Milton Keynes) often getting vast numbers of buses fairly easily.

The small fleet of coaches maintained by the TOCs is an interesting idea, but getting that to be even vaguely cost effective would be a challenge I would have thought.   And what good would a small fleet have coaches been this morning when they would have been required in significant numbers at Oxford, Maidenhead, Plymouth etc.?

Yes, hogwash (was there a pun intended there?) as far as I can tell as well.  Let's be clear, the flooding at Hinksey yesterday was well below the railhead. 

OK, I'll call you. Proof please. I saw that photo too - a snapshot of a millisecond across the whole day. What other proof have you got? My NR» (Network Rail - home page) contact told me it rose in the morning....your contact?

Can't speak for today, but my contact for yesterday was my own eyes in the morning and conversations with drivers working the shuttles in the afternoon who suggested that any rise or fall throughout the day was negligible.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2014, 17:41:12 »

To address ChrisB points about getting your employer to understand why you can't travel by train, drive instead, staying in a hotel, etc.

I'm effectively self employed, can't and don't drive and can't afford hotels. Thus, when I can't take on suitable assignments because of rail network closures and because the replacement road transport won't get me to those assignments on time, I simply have no additional income, or am limited to what assignments I can find in my home area. 

Never mind, as it's not a 'necessity' to do what I choose to do, I'll just kick back and be a burden on the state.

ChrisB. One size does not fit all. As you seem keen to tell us how to live our lives, what 'different mindset' do you suggest I use?

Back to talk of disruption.

Discounted (by 25%) walk-up fares for journeys through Dawlish, on flows priced by First Great Western, are now available online through FGWs (First Great Western) booking engine. Sadly, longer distance journeys priced by other operators are not subject to the discount.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2014, 18:01:42 »

Joyous update from the 17.30 to Super-mare... We've broken down 3 times prior to old oak common. Trouble with the passenger alarm system from what I can gather.

Full and standing too.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 11, 2014, 18:05:59 »

CrossCountry have earned my respect...! Shocked Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 11, 2014, 18:10:47 »

Joyous update from the 17.30 to Super-mare... We've broken down 3 times prior to old oak common. Trouble with the passenger alarm system from what I can gather.

Full and standing too.

Oh dear.. Good Luck.. I'll take back what I said in my earlier post. I'm glad I stayed at home today..

Does anyone know if it's likely to improve/get worse tomorrow?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 11, 2014, 18:33:40 »

Oh dear, I'm currently waiting for that one at Swindon. I thought the 1730 (from Swindon) was going to be as late as the others, turned my back and it was only 20 late, by which time it was too late to get it.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 11, 2014, 18:43:52 »

Realtime trains isn't keeping up with the info.. The 17.30 that you are on NickB and that you are waiting for at Swindon John R is showing as not stopping at Maidenhead.. It has got to/passed by Maidenhead 43 minute late however..
John R

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 11, 2014, 18:50:03 »

Realtimetrains isn't very good when trains have additional stops or are diverted en route. But it's much better than National Rail for finding out where a train is between stations, and whether it is moving. So, yes, I can see that it's currently stuck in the wet section around Maidenhead. Suspect it will be a good hour late by the time it gets past it.  Grr!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #297 on: February 11, 2014, 18:55:01 »

I'm sitting on a still pretty empty 1900 which according to national rail is cancelled by which is in platform 1 according to the boards at Paddington and the seat reservations concur!

I figure it's going west somewhere so......and now we have an announcement we are the 1900

I'll keep you advised of any points of interest

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #298 on: February 11, 2014, 19:01:37 »

Left on time - carriage B maybe a third full

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2014, 19:10:05 »

Any idea where it's stopping Mookiemoo? The only one I can see on Realtime trains is a non-stop to Reading service but I imagine reality might be slightly different.. Good luck getting home btw
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: