Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 02:19:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417045 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #300 on: February 11, 2014, 19:14:22 »

Usual stops to Bristol - reading, didcot, Swindon etc

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 11, 2014, 19:14:54 »

Realtimetrains isn't very good when trains have additional stops or are diverted en route. But it's much better than National Rail for finding out where a train is between stations, and whether it is moving. So, yes, I can see that it's currently stuck in the wet section around Maidenhead. Suspect it will be a good hour late by the time it gets past it.  Grr!
And now showing as cancelled beyond Bristol. Double Grr!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2014, 19:18:19 »

And now showing as cancelled beyond Bristol. Double Grr!

Looks like by the time the 1730 to WSM gets to Bristol the 1830 to WSM will have caught it up.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Jonty

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 11, 2014, 19:20:48 »

Funny, you can read a post and just know that Taplow Green is the author, without even looking.

Something to do with his rather chippy view of the world, that everything should run like clockwork for his personal convenience, and how he refuses to accept that 'events dear boy' sometimes just happen... Roll Eyes
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2014, 19:21:58 »

I managed to make the 18:43 from Bath Spa heading in the opposite direction (Towards London). Running around 20 minutes late.

Was a very lucky connection as the 18:16 from Trowbridge was running 25 minutes late. Had the 18:43 been on time I would now be waiting for the 19:43.

Just a word of warning to folk travelling out there. Not all staff know about Ticket Restrictions being relaxed. I saw a tweet this morning from someone who was told by a staff member that "To my knowledge all restrictions are applied as usual"

The TM(resolve) on the 18:43 just quibbled my First Advance and told me it wasn't valid. I explained (Very badly, couldn't get the right words out; was stuck in one of my lights on, no-one home moments) that ticket acceptance was in place for the remainder of the working week. He stamped the ticket and moved on but seemed very less than impressed.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2014, 19:23:52 »

Has the 1830 even made it past maidenhead - can't see any reports of it anywhere

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2014, 19:24:48 »

Funny, you can read a post and just know that Taplow Green is the author, without even looking.

Something to do with his rather chippy view of the world, that everything should run like clockwork for his personal convenience, and how he refuses to accept that 'events dear boy' sometimes just happen... Roll Eyes

A gentle reminder to all. Let's keep things civilised. Debate points raised and challenge assertions by all means. Just don't make it personal.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2014, 19:25:35 »

Has the 1830 even made it past maidenhead - can't see any reports of it anywhere

Realtime trains says it is approaching Maidenhead now
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 11, 2014, 19:26:49 »

Realtime trains says it is approaching Maidenhead now

And approaching Twyford at the same time..Hopefully that means it is in the general area  Grin
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 11, 2014, 19:29:58 »

As I understand it and my knowledge of engineering is not that detailed (I'm not an engineer), HSTs (High Speed Train) can't run through the water as the electric traction motors are suspended on the bogies thus making them susceptible to water damage. Turbos and Adelantes are mechanically driven with the engine and gearbox suspended in the body of the train, final drive to the axles being by mechanical propshaft therefore less susceptible to water damage.

Anyone with more detailed knowledge care to comment.

There are electrical components hung from the bogies of the Turbos and Adelantes even though they have mechanical transmission. The aerial(s) for the AWS (Automatic Warning System)/TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) are bogie-mounted as is the track circuit exciting loop (can't remember the correct name at the moment but it is the device to ensure that track circuits register the presence of the vehicle even in the presence of rail head or wheel contamination). There are also the connections to the axle end pick ups for the wheel slide protection. The HST certainly has the WSP connections, but IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the AWS/TPWS receivers are hung from the body, but are still close to the rails. It doesn't have the track circuit exciter because it's big enough and ugly enough not to need it.

All of these things are proof against water spray, but I wouldn't be so sure about immersion.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2014, 19:33:44 »

Arrived Reading 36 late. Due to a combination of speed restrictions/congestion/delay to preceding services, I suspect.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #311 on: February 11, 2014, 19:43:22 »

Approaching reading!  Much easier than feared

sorch

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2014, 20:40:15 »

I kind of feel that Twyford (and Henley Branch) passengers have fallen down an FGW (First Great Western) black hole today.

Probably the same black hole that Langley/Iver fell into this week. The staff at Reading had to call through to make whatever Ealing-bound train I got yesterday stop at Langley, as nothing else was planned to.

Obviously FGW can't be blamed for the problem, but their communication could be better.

Today:

I got the 1712 (heavily delayed) at 1742 from Langley. Signs say to change at Slough for Reading. Got off at Slough.
Staff at Slough have no idea why the PIS (Passenger Information System) is saying that, apologise and advise to wait for next train to Maidenhead where there "might be a train or a coach". Slough PIS was reporting a Reading-bound service to Exeter, but got on a Turbo instead.
Got to Maidenhead and pushed onto platform 1 for an HST (High Speed Train) to Weston-Super-Mare. Just before it was planned to arrive, it changed to platform 3(?) and the staff pushed us to move onto platform 3 to catch it. It too had been heavily delayed but not a long wait for us, possibly the train other people are discussing.
Got onto (packed) HST. Arrived in Reading just after 7pm after the inevitable delays around the flooded area.

I might work from home if it's going to be the same tomorrow. Going to Langley wasn't an amazing experience - gridlock in Reading and just outside on the M4 toward Maidenhead on the coach replacement, then no idea if the onward train was going to stop at Langley or not until half way through.

Between this and the 7 hour trip from Cornwall to Reading via Bristol yesterday, I've had my share of bustitution for the year...
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2014, 20:43:45 »

Well my train is now in the affected area. Been having bursts of slow and fast speeds and just pulling into Maidenhead (Hi Jo and NickB Wink )

As promised here is a picture of the affected area. Taken in the hours of darkness; so please forgive the quality. But that cable trough is completely under water. The water levels alongside the cess are quite high and have reached several lineside boxes along the line between Twyford and Madienhead. We also ran on the relief lines between Reading and Maidenhead.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2014, 20:45:09 »

Good luck with your journey Dominic
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: