Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:39:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417110 times)
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 12, 2014, 23:38:42 »

FGW (First Great Western) website stating that the problems at Maidenhead are likely to "continue to affect trackside signalling and safety equipment for some time."

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/contents/travel-advice/london-paddington-to-reading-travel-advice
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 00:12:17 by Southern Stag » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 13, 2014, 00:02:44 »

Hi, I have an annual parking pass for Newton Abbot station, and I've already booked my train travel for the next 10 weeks or so from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).  I've no desire to get bus transport from NTA to Exeter each week.  What are the chances of me being able to park in Exeter St Davids using my NTA pass whilst the disruption is ongoing?  I realise this is probably a matter for Apcoa rather than FGW (First Great Western), but I'd hope that they'd have put some sort of arrangement in place whilst the line is closed.  Any thoughts?

Not sure if this was spotted or not, but the following link says you can use your pass for Tiverton Parkway and Taunton Car Parks... other options available depending what car park pass you have.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/contents/travel-advice/car-parking

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
mathmo

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 13, 2014, 00:45:57 »

I appreciate the difficult situation, but Realtime Trains is currently showing no trains at all stopping at Langley or Iver in the morning.  I'm not sure what people who want those stations are supposed to do Huh .  I would quite like to use the train tomorrow but I know what I will actually be doing due to the lack of information - getting in the car...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 13, 2014, 01:25:34 »

Hi, I have an annual parking pass for Newton Abbot station, and I've already booked my train travel for the next 10 weeks or so from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).  I've no desire to get bus transport from NTA to Exeter each week.  What are the chances of me being able to park in Exeter St Davids using my NTA pass whilst the disruption is ongoing?  I realise this is probably a matter for Apcoa rather than FGW (First Great Western), but I'd hope that they'd have put some sort of arrangement in place whilst the line is closed.  Any thoughts?

Not sure if this was spotted or not, but the following link says you can use your pass for Tiverton Parkway and Taunton Car Parks... other options available depending what car park pass you have.

One would like to think that this is as a result of warrej bringing this issue to the attention of APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) and FGW. However it has come about it's another excellent decision by FGW to ameliorate an issue faced by its customers during the ongoing disruption.

There will, no doubt, be pressure on car park space, but well done FGW. Perhaps they need a slogan during the current disruption, "By hook or by crook, we'll get you there." Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:31:53 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2014, 06:59:09 »

Maidenhead to Paddington service is halfhourly today. The slow trains look to have been withdrawn and we're looking at c7.24, 7.54 etc.

Cold and sad.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2014, 07:14:53 »

I'm on the 06:41 from SWI» (Swindon - next trains) that now has Maidenhead as an additional stop. I'm not sure how many of the other HSTs (High Speed Train) during the day will do this...
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2014, 07:31:04 »

Maidenhead to Paddington service is halfhourly today. The slow trains look to have been withdrawn and we're looking at c7.24, 7.54 etc.

Cold and sad.

That is how it was yesterday too.. I got on the delayed 7.24 which left 7.40ish and other than it being very full and standing we got to Paddington very quickly..
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2014, 08:02:21 »

I appreciate the difficult situation, but Realtime Trains is currently showing no trains at all stopping at Langley or Iver in the morning.  I'm not sure what people who want those stations are supposed to do Huh .  I would quite like to use the train tomorrow but I know what I will actually be doing due to the lack of information - getting in the car...

The FGW (First Great Western) app seems to have details of services stopping at Langley & Iver.

If travelling to Paddington I would personally take the train to Slough and pick up a fast service into Paddington.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2014, 08:05:54 »

I'm on the 0643 stopper from Twyford again but it left nearly 30 late today. Progress through the affected area was slower today. I was on the UR but I could only see signal numbers on the UM. We stopped alongside UM28 for a few minutes then proceeded at walking pace past UM27A to alongside UM27B where we were held again. We then proceeded slowly again to alongside UM26 where normal progress resumed. What was noticeable to me was not so much the depth of the water but the length of the area affected, probably a good two miles.
warrej

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2014, 08:12:29 »

Thanks, I had an email reply from FGW yesterday evening saying I could park at Exerer St David's with my Newton Abbot pass
warrej

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2014, 08:16:05 »

I have an advance ticket for travel tomorrow from Paddington to Exeter. Does the lifting of ticket restrictions mean that I could use that ticket today?  With the bad weather forecast for tomorrow I am considering travelling back early
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 13, 2014, 09:18:26 »

Looks like it's getting worse.. The 6.20 from Weston-Super-Mare to Paddington has lost half hour between Ruscombe and Maidenhead on Realtime trains..
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 13, 2014, 09:47:28 »

Looks like it's getting worse.. The 6.20 from Weston-Super-Mare to Paddington has lost half hour between Ruscombe and Maidenhead on Realtime trains..

As I mentioned above, my own journey through the affected area was much more of a stagger this morning. Maybe there are more signal (track circuiting) sections affected today? I've also noticed from my own observations (and Real Time Trains would seem to bear that out) that trains on the UM are now being held at the signal just to the west of Twyford station.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:55:11 by BBM » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 13, 2014, 10:06:56 »

I'm on the 0643 stopper from Twyford again but it left nearly 30 late today. Progress through the affected area was slower today. I was on the UR but I could only see signal numbers on the UM. We stopped alongside UM28 for a few minutes then proceeded at walking pace past UM27A to alongside UM27B where we were held again. We then proceeded slowly again to alongside UM26 where normal progress resumed. What was noticeable to me was not so much the depth of the water but the length of the area affected, probably a good two miles.

Similar to me but I was going in the opposite direction towards Reading - got to Taplow for the 0625 which was cancelled and then roared through the station - 0654 was on time and 5 coaches though so not too bad - pretty empty in fact, looking at the platforms at Taplow and Maidenhead it would seem that a lot of people have given up and are either driving or working from home. Had a good look at the affected area on the way to Reading and we too were stuck for ages between Maidenhead and Twyford - according to the driver there were signal problems unrelated/in addition to to the flooding - the actual "cupboards" which are causing the problems were surrounded with sandbags (bit of a waste of time as the problem is groundwater) and there was a 2" diesel pump about 6 ft away but it wasn't in use when I went past - I'd echo the fact that it doesn't seem to be the depth of the water (looked like 1"-2" ) but the length of the area it's covering.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. CfN.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:07:34 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 13, 2014, 10:11:13 »

I have an advance ticket for travel tomorrow from Paddington to Exeter. Does the lifting of ticket restrictions mean that I could use that ticket today?  With the bad weather forecast for tomorrow I am considering travelling back early

This note issued to staff would seem to suggest you can

Any customer holding a valid ticket for travel on today or any date up to and including Sunday 16th February may choose to use that ticket on any of these dates (at any time of day) without additional charge. This also applies to those customers who may have held over their journey from Monday 10th, Tuesday 11th or Wednesday 12th February.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: