Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 04:49:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417047 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 15:10:31 »

Let us not be too hasty.
It might however be nearly time to consider appointing a commitee, to consider calling a meeting, to call for more studies.

Grin My kind of cynicism. I like it. Post of the day!

Here's a selection of photos trawled from social media, showing the damage at Dawlish. This is not going to be a easy fix. I reckon at least a month, and quite possibly a lot longer. I suspect there are one or two properties that may have to be demolished as well.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 15:37:38 »

Video report, courtesy of The Daily Telegraph, with an interview with an Environment Agency spokesman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqDoFVpLoI

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 15:38:18 »

That top one is a lot later than the others. Agreed, a lot longer than 2 weeks!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2014, 15:50:44 »

The Par-Newquay Line has again been suspended after briefly opening this morning. Flooding near St Columb Road.

Liskeard-Looe is also closed due to flooding.

Both are at Network Rail's highest state of alert - Black. And both have no alternative transport in place.

In Somerset, the line between Castle Cary and Cogload Junction is also closed due to flooding.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2014, 17:02:20 »

FGW (First Great Western) Sleepers have now been officially cancelled until the end of the month.

From FGW's Journey Check:

Due to a recent severe weather conditions in the Devon & Cornwall area. We have had to make the decision to cancel the Night Riviera Sleeper services between London Paddington and Penzance/Penzance and London Paddington until Friday 28th February 2014.

If you are affected by this change to your journey, and have not been contacted by our dedicated team concerning your travel arrangements, please contact our Customer Services team on 03457
000125 for further information.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2014, 17:09:20 »

Probably only a matter of time before a similar annoucement is made about the Pullmans. However not as disruptive as losing the sleepers for a month.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 17:10:48 »

In Somerset, the line between Castle Cary and Cogload Junction is also closed due to flooding.

Considering my videos of a week ago, I'm not even slightly surprised... Roll Eyes Shocked Lips sealed Undecided

There was also flood water very close to the Taunton - Bridgwater Line... This photo I took the same day as the videos. Taken from inside an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (High Speed Train) and the quality isn't great because of the carriage lighting. So I've tweaked it slightly:

Anything above that yellow line is FLOOD WATER!

The Red Line is the Far Running Rail on the Down Line Shocked

I have immense sympathy to all the rail staff out there who are trying to prop up a network which is crashing down around them... Sympathy and extraordinary just doesn't even cut it though. Not even close!!

Considering the MET Office have issued a Flood Warning - Be Prepared (Orange Alert) Taunton could also find itself isolated from the rail network the way things are looking. In all truth, I am surprised that Cowley Bridge and the SWMLW-o-E Route to Exeter haven't been closed already.

Large lake <> 'mere' speculation! 

Nice connection there...   Grin

Paul

HA (Highways Agency)! Thanks Grin I didn't even think of that. For a moment it took me a while to work that one out! Wink Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2014, 17:38:01 »

You can forget 6 weeks to repair the damage. Just looked at the latest forecast models for Saturday and it looks concerning to say the least adding to the damage that's already done looking likely. Thoughts with those who are suffering from the effects of this terrible winter.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 17:41:57 »

State of play as it stands between Newton Abbot and Penzance:

The total amount of rolling stock in the area amounts to 10 units (mix of 1 and 2) coaches, 4 HSTs (High Speed Train), 2 voyagers and 1 sleeper train.

FGW (First Great Western) are trying to get a PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) - PNZ shuttle in place for tonight and will no doubt be trying to plan a timetable with what stock is available for the next 4-6 weeks.

Probably a wild guess but I can see the sleeper stock coming in handy....
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2014, 17:42:28 »

Well here is the first view I have seen from the sea side of the actual breach: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580867352007226&set=p.580867352007226&type=1
It looks although the concrete foundation at the toe of the wall has survived (and done the job it was designed to do).  Looks like the waves just punched out the vertical stone wall.  On that basis the damage doesn't look quite as bad a I feared and hopefully it will just be a backfilling job with some temporary sheet piling replicating the wall.  Time will tell.... Sad
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 17:48:08 by SandTEngineer » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 17:58:45 »

Well here is the first view I have seen from the sea side of the actual breach: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580867352007226&set=p.580867352007226&type=1

Here's that picture for folks who don't 'do' Facebook:

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 18:55:05 »

On the local BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South-West news this evening Patrick Hallgate from NR» (Network Rail - home page) stated that they had carried out an examination of the entire sea wall (all 4 miles of it).  They have found 4 sites with serious damage (not just Dawlish by the sounds of it).  They are still sticking to their 6 week timeframe for restoration (with caveats).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 21:19:37 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 19:32:05 »

Latest from FGW (First Great Western):
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/dawlishseawall
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2014, 20:21:47 »

To echo the words of an earlier poster, hats off to all the railway workers - and all other services - out there dealing with passengers, infrastructure or logistics. It must be an awful situation.

The sea wall disruption caused by these storms, the flooding at Cowley Bridge and the Somerset levels and the work at Whiteball undoubtedly add impetus to the campaign to have a second inland route between Cornwall/Plymouth to Exeter/beyond, be that via Tavistock and Okehampton or via Newton Abbot and Exeter. Even over the next couple of months, starting/terminating services at Okehampton rather than Exeter, were it a viable alternative, would alleviate some of the delays that will have to be endured.

ps - on a flippant note, I can't help wondering if all this terrible weather isn't divine retribution against certain comments by former UKIP members.  Wink
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2014, 21:11:14 »

...and here it is with the tide out:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 21:20:33 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: