Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 13:43:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417071 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2014, 21:27:40 »

An article from the Daily Mail, with a slideshow of high quality photographs of storm damage at Dawlish and other locations across the West Country:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552027/Britains-coastline-battered-storms-hurricane-force-winds-sweep-Atlantic.html

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2014, 22:05:44 »

Looking at the last picture in post 60, it appears that the concrete armour (about 3m thick) on the London side of the breach has protected the formation very well, with only superficial damage to the boundary wall.

What a pity that it had not been continued along in front of the houses. The sea strength is probably at its maximum there.

OTC
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2014, 23:08:43 »

Looking ahead, the very real problem for FGW (First Great Western) and Cross Country is what stock have they got trapped west of the sea wall and what effect will it have on the rest of the fleet which cannot access Laira depot for maintenance.  How much of their work can be done at FGW's other depots?

As I understand it most of the Cornish branchlines use stock based in Plymouth, Par or Penzance so should be relatively unaffected however the Paignton line uses stock from Exeter which is currently not an option.  Also I think Cornish DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) stock goes to Exeter for exams etc. from time to time.

As for HSTs (High Speed Train) and Voyagers there could possibly be too many the wrong side of the seawall which might impact on services "up country".

All in all I expect some midnight oil is being burned by the train planning teams.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2014, 23:21:02 »

Looking ahead, the very real problem for FGW (First Great Western) and Cross Country is what stock have they got trapped west of the sea wall and what effect will it have on the rest of the fleet which cannot access Laira depot for maintenance.  How much of their work can be done at FGW's other depots?

As I understand it most of the Cornish branchlines use stock based in Plymouth, Par or Penzance so should be relatively unaffected however the Paignton line uses stock from Exeter which is currently not an option.  Also I think Cornish DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) stock goes to Exeter for exams etc. from time to time.

As for HSTs (High Speed Train) and Voyagers there could possibly be too many the wrong side of the seawall which might impact on services "up country".

All in all I expect some midnight oil is being burned by the train planning teams.

Some has done the work already....

The following units are currently trapped between Penzance and Newton Abbot:
Class 150: 150122, 150125, 150129, 150130, 150131, 150202 and 150219
Class 153: 153305, 153329, 153369, 153372, 153377
Class 220: 220013, 220014
Class 221: 221127, 221134

Plus 4 HSTs and a Sleeper set.
------------------------

It's anticipated that the Voyagers might be moved north by road.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2014, 23:28:50 »

As posted on another forum. Stock on the 'wrong side' of the sea wall collapse. Not verified:

Class 150: 150125, 150129, 150130, 150131, 150202 and 150219
Class 153: 153305, 153329, 153369, 153372, 153377
Class 220: 220013, 220014
Class 221: 221127, 221134

Additionally, I'm led to believe, 4 HST (High Speed Train) sets, and of course 1 Sleeper set.

I think there is sufficient there for FGW (First Great Western) to operate full branchline timetables, Newton Abbot-Paignton, and a mainline shuttle service. What CrossCountry will do with their Voyagers I've no idea.

Laira is probably sufficiently equipped for light maintenance, and spares can be brought in by road as necessary. Exams will, I guess, have to be postponed. Ultimately, low loaders could be used to move stock by road, but that ain't cheap and takes a lot of organising. If CrossCountry want their Voyagers back that's 18 vehicles to move. Very expensive.

All speculation on my part. If any of our 'staff' forum members know more then please do post.

EDIT: Ah, beaten to it by chrisoates. What he said!  Grin (Although I'm told 150122 is in Exeter)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2014, 23:40:38 »

Possibly the most spectacular picture I've yet seen of the ferocious sea at Dawlish at high tide this morning:

Used with permission ^Kevin Wills 2014

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 23:48:28 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
marky7890

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2014, 23:53:20 »

There are some great photos on Antony Christie's site from after the storm:

http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/

Looks like the entire seafront may have to relaid.
wabbit

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2014, 07:08:45 »

I know it's been said before, but I'll just add my voice to those clamouring for an inland route to be worked up and constructed so the West Country isn't so much at the mercy of the weather. Perhaps it could be put in as part of the South West trains operating area, giving the Great Western a bit of competition, but also a diversionary route in case this sort of weather event happens again.....
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2014, 11:47:38 »

.....I think this also serves to illustrate the fragility of transport infrastructure in the South West, and the utter folly of closing Plymouth Airport.....the only option for travel west of Exeter now is the A38, hardly ideal for Plymouth, one of the UK (United Kingdom)'s most important cities.......but then I am a Janner so am biased!!!  Angry
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2014, 11:53:55 »

I think it needs working up, but paid for by the EU» (European Union - about) - as they recognise it as n EU region.

More pics, that I haven't yet seen posted here -

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:59:27 by ChrisB » Logged
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2014, 12:53:01 »

Let Network Rail do what it can to now temporarily - because that is what it is likely to be if all the expert information on rising sea levels & more frequent severe storms are to be believed - repair the sea wall between Dawlish Warren & Teignmouth; it's not now just the vast chasm at Dawlish.

With National (Quantitative Easing ?!) and EU» (European Union - about) funding (after all Cornwall has Objective One status) to re-instate Meldon to Tavistock/Bere Alston  with a Parkway station at Sourton to serve West Devon, North West Devon and mainly North Cornwall ..and as someone has already suggested  by extension of SWT (South West Trains) Exeter/Waterloo service which is increasingly needing some fast limited stop trains - perhaps just Honiton, Axminster, Sherborne, Salisbury, & Basingstoke.
Perhaps in time Overhead Electrification ..no problems with sea, salt,sand & eyesore O/H coastal wires or limited clearance Marley Tunnels. 
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2014, 13:03:07 »

The scandal of the Dawlish washout is that there was no sea protection to speak of as the pictures in posts 70 and 85 now show. The stone retaining wall was mostly decorative, retaining the earth fill of the embankment but largely useless for storm protection. Only a concrete apron had been laid at the base to prevent underscouring (which it did nicely).

Well done again, DfT» (Department for Transport - about)!

OTC
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2014, 14:00:00 »

There's talk now of something to protect the wall during repair - which if they're (and the councils) are sensible, can be permanent protection.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2014, 14:00:37 »

State of play as it stands between Newton Abbot and Penzance:

The total amount of rolling stock in the area amounts to 10 units (mix of 1 and 2) coaches, 4 HSTs (High Speed Train), 2 voyagers and 1 sleeper train.

FGW (First Great Western) are trying to get a PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) - PNZ shuttle in place for tonight and will no doubt be trying to plan a timetable with what stock is available for the next 4-6 weeks.

Probably a wild guess but I can see the sleeper stock coming in handy....

There are actually 4 Voyagers trapped. 2x5 car and 2x 4 car

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2014, 14:13:47 »

With National (Quantitative Easing ?!) and EU» (European Union - about) funding (after all Cornwall has Objective One status) to re-instate Meldon to Tavistock/Bere Alston  with a Parkway station at Sourton to serve West Devon, North West Devon and mainly North Cornwall ..and as someone has already suggested  by extension of SWT (South West Trains) Exeter/Waterloo service which is increasingly needing some fast limited stop trains - perhaps just Honiton, Axminster, Sherborne, Salisbury, & Basingstoke.
Perhaps in time Overhead Electrification ..no problems with sea, salt,sand & eyesore O/H coastal wires or limited clearance Marley Tunnels. 

I agree entirely, but historically the South West has been treated almost with disdain by successive governments. You'd almost believe that nothing exists west of a line drawn between Southampton and Bristol! Each time proposals to improve the A303 road have been put forward, they have effectively been brushed under the carpet; the rail electrification proposals clearly ignore the South West; the Economic Assessment produced for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) clearly showed parts of the South West having a negative outlook; and proposals for doubling even short stretches of the SR(resolve) route are given the cold shoulder. 

I fear that it'll be nothing more than 'a few million' for political expediency to be seen to be doing something. but nowhere near enough to do anything other than repair the damage.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 14:29:22 by PhilWakely » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: