07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:12:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[106] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[21] access for all at Devon stations report
[13] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[11] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417149 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2014, 16:09:25 »

Chris Patten?.....seconded!
Chris (Lord) Smith but with the way the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) has been lately you can have Chris Patten as well!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2014, 16:23:46 »

Flybe have announced additional flights between Newquay & Gatwick and National Express are laying on additional coaches.

http://www.flybe.com/corporate/media/news/1402/07.htm

http://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/media/allnews.aspx?newsyear=2014&newsitem=1240

Interesting to note that the Service Delivery Director at National Express is one Kevin Gale, formerly Operations Director at FGW (First Great Western). So that's where he went after his 'gardening leave'.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
warrej

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2014, 16:25:50 »

Hi, I have an annual parking pass for Newton Abbot station, and I've already booked my train travel for the next 10 weeks or so from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).  I've no desire to get bus transport from NTA to Exeter each week.  What are the chances of me being able to park in Exeter St Davids using my NTA pass whilst the disruption is ongoing?  I realise this is probably a matter for Apcoa rather than FGW (First Great Western), but I'd hope that they'd have put some sort of arrangement in place whilst the line is closed.  Any thoughts?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2014, 16:26:10 »

Meanwhile in Somerset, video of a HST (High Speed Train) attempting to get through the floods between Bridgwater and Taunton:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26084245

I'm lost for words.  In the 30 years I have lived in the far South-West I have never seen things so bad............ Cry
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2014, 16:26:32 »

Official link to fares announcement now available - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Media-Centre/2014/February/FGW-confirms-25-discount-on-walk-up-fares-for-services-affected-by-Dawlish-line-closure
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2014, 16:29:13 »

Hi, I have an annual parking pass for Newton Abbot station, and I've already booked my train travel for the next 10 weeks or so from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).  I've no desire to get bus transport from NTA to Exeter each week.  What are the chances of me being able to park in Exeter St Davids using my NTA pass whilst the disruption is ongoing?  I realise this is probably a matter for Apcoa rather than FGW (First Great Western), but I'd hope that they'd have put some sort of arrangement in place whilst the line is closed.  Any thoughts?

I'd post the enquiry on their Facebook page if you can - as the answer would be of interest to others.

If you have no Facebook account, I'd email customer services & ask. Can you post their reply here too please?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2014, 16:32:45 »

I was speaking to two people from FGW earlier today at the official launch of the TransWilts service and it seems the company is looking to find extra land for parking in the Taunton/Tiverton area because they realise many people will want to drive to meet the train.  So I would expect an annoucement regarding car parking arrangements soon.

There will also be coaches from Plymouth to Tiverton direct - which takes about the same time as the train would - by virtue of bypassing traffic in Exeter City Centre.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2014, 16:34:55 »

To add to bobm's comments, I'd also suggest contacting APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) and FGW (First Great Western) to see what they say.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2014, 16:37:10 »

The Anti HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) campaigners are joining the debate with those in the South West calling for money to be spent on existing lines instead of on the HS2 'vanity project'.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2014/02/07-hs2-brought-into-dawlish-rail.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I agree with those posting here and in other medias that there has never been a better time to push for something to be done about building/reopening an alternative rail link to the South West. Perhaps some good can come out of what has happened this week.

I could be wrong, but my guess is millions will be spent on making the current line through Dawlish as weatherproof as possible but that could come at a price of losing the wonderful views presently offered along this stretch of line as they would have to build a very high wall along the coastal section. Hope I'm wrong.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2014, 16:44:19 »

I wonder whether a breakwater from Langstone Rock to Coryton Cove would be feasible? You could then create a lagoon and marina for Dawlish.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
warrej

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2014, 17:16:57 »

I'd post the enquiry on their Facebook page if you can - as the answer would be of interest to others.

If you have no Facebook account, I'd email customer services & ask. Can you post their reply here too please?

I've emailed both FGW and Apcoa.  I'll update this post with any responses I receive
andy_89uk

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2014, 18:43:56 »

Well just for a little bit of light relief from all the gloom.  Found this on the NRE(resolve) website as an alternative route between Penzance and London Roll Eyes:

Nice try, but Plymouth/Roscoff is also scuppered by the weather too!   :-(
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2014, 20:25:02 »

Spayed concrete ??  that's a new operation to me ! Shocked

Its been used to line tunnels for over 30 years now. Indeed it was used on the work on Whiteball Tunnel
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2014, 20:51:18 »

An interesting timeline concerning Dawlish has started to appear on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) website: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/improvements/dawlish/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2014, 20:57:35 »

Spayed concrete ??  that's a new operation to me ! Shocked

Its been used to line tunnels for over 30 years now. Indeed it was used on the work on Whiteball Tunnel

I think chuffed may have been 'shocked' by the typo in the preceding post rather than not knowing about sprayed concrete.  Cheesy

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: