Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:47:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417111 times)
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 12, 2014, 14:50:48 »

Cause of the Maidenhead problem

We know that weather events like this are rare (or not depending on your viewpoint)
but really the cabinets which have been posted here, should be higher up on stilts, then the electric cables are less likely to be damaged, apart from if the Wind is strong then you may have a problem. Lets hope Network Rail can now spend a little more money on upgrading this equipment so that this is less problems in future. I know it cant be completely resolved but sorting the basics out can help out a lot - Just saying

These cabinets are in the cess in Ruscombe cutting. This stretch was re-signalled with colour lights in the early 1960s, when these cabinets would have been originally installed. Since first becoming interested in railways about 60 years ago I cannot ever remember the cutting flooding, which proves that hindsight is a wonderful thing.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #361 on: February 12, 2014, 14:58:07 »

There's also talk now of this being Groundwater flooding, rather than Thames overflow - which means it'll go on a lot longer than a few days. And it'll top up quicker than awaiting water to come down river from Upper Thames every time another storm comes over.

The borehole data is frightening.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 12, 2014, 15:04:33 »

There's also talk now of this being Groundwater flooding, rather than Thames overflow - which means it'll go on a lot longer than a few days. And it'll top up quicker than awaiting water to come down river from Upper Thames every time another storm comes over.

The borehole data is frightening.

That's what I always understood. The Thames is some way away, and Brunel's billiard table is the height of Maidenhead Bridge above it.
James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2014, 15:07:12 »

Yup you have a point Smiley
If only a perfect railway system operated then people will be overjoyed with it 'or will they'  Wink

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2014, 15:26:23 »

Paddington to Exeter Services now also further disrupted....

Athelney is reported to be flooded again...

1106 dep from Pad diverted via Yeovil

1206 dep from Pad diverted from Westbury to Bristol TM(resolve) and terminate

FGW (First Great Western) is now reporting....
Due to flooding near Taunton a two hourly service will operate between Exeter St Davids and London Paddington, diverted via Honiton and calling additionally at Pewsey.

And just to add insult to injury to the SWT (South West Trains) route (although not directly affecting FGW) is that a fallen tree is blocking the line at Sherborne! Plus, of course, the landslip at Crewkerne will require 5mph running
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2014, 15:40:43 »

Whilst driving eastbound on the M4 between Maidenhead and Slough at around 10 this morning (instead of getting the train into London today as originally planned!), I passed an FGW (First Great Western) Mk3 coach on a low-loader.

I guess part of an HST (High Speed Train) being moved by road from west of Dawlish?

I saw a power car between junctions 16 and 15 at Swindon last night. Presumably they are off-loaded at Old Oak Common? Interesting there isn't a closer depot (making it a shorter journey) to take them to - can those in the know comment?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 12, 2014, 15:41:29 »

Flooding now reported at Ledbury Tunnel.  The 15:14 from Hereford to London cancelled as a result.
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #367 on: February 12, 2014, 15:58:34 »

Whilst driving eastbound on the M4 between Maidenhead and Slough at around 10 this morning (instead of getting the train into London today as originally planned!), I passed an FGW (First Great Western) Mk3 coach on a low-loader.

I guess part of an HST (High Speed Train) being moved by road from west of Dawlish?

I saw a power car between junctions 16 and 15 at Swindon last night. Presumably they are off-loaded at Old Oak Common? Interesting there isn't a closer depot (making it a shorter journey) to take them to - can those in the know comment?

Yep, that^s probably the one I saw at Old Oak this morning, about 09.30, on the back of a low-loader, I even did a double take as it looked unusual. Must be there to join another Power Car which was sulking on its own^. ;-(
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 12, 2014, 16:04:46 »

there are closer depots (Bristol for example)  but OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) is almost straight off the end of the M4 so perhaps an easier journey.  
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 12, 2014, 16:33:28 »

Left work early, headed for the 1512 to Twyford but incoming train was delayed at West Drayton. Therefore I took the 1506 HST (High Speed Train) to Westbury as far as Maidenhead and then I did something I've managed to avoid in over 25 years of commuting until today - I took a rail replacement bus! But it was fine, journey time to Twyford was only some 20 minutes, and my overall time PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-TWY (Twyford station) was just under the hour.

On arrival I checked just out of interest the summary screen at Twyford station. It showed hourly xx.04 departures to Swansea starting with the 16.04. These extra calls are not on Real Time Trains but they are appearing on LDB. Currently though the first of these, the 15.45 from PAD, is still (at 16.30) in the White Waltham 'twilight zone' with my original intended train, the 1512 stopper, running 38 late at Maidenhead.

However it's useful for me to know for tomorrow that the xx.45s to Swansea may well call again at Twyford.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2014, 17:09:42 »

Indeed. XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) advances are available on services connecting into/out of the SW until 15 mins before departure, and the travel west of Exeter is free. That's better than FGW (First Great Western) offer.

Travel west of Exeter is only 'free' if you have a CrossCountry Advance from a station north of Exeter. Buy an XC Advance from Truro to Newton Abbot, for example, and you pay the usual price.

Buy a CrossCountry priced walk up ticket for a journey through Dawlish and there is no discount. So, Truro to Bristol Parkway attracts a 25% discount, but Truro to Cheltenham Spa doesn't.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2014, 17:13:55 »

Not so - works both ways as long as you pass through Exeter....
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2014, 17:16:25 »

Seems as though we missed this - Chartered Institute of Transport & Logistics (CILT) are reporting

12/02/2014 10:42

UK (United Kingdom) floods: 'Unspent' ^60m may be used on rail repairs

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reports that up to ^60m not spent by the Department of Transport this year could be used to help repair the rail network battered by the recent storms.
The BBC understands the Treasury could allow the department to keep the "underspend" in its annual budgets.

David Cameron has said "money is no object" in helping flood-affected communities get back on their feet.

But Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin has said there will be no "blank cheque" for repairs.

Mr McLoughlin said Network Rail was already spending ^38bn on maintaining and enhancing the rail network over the next five years and the money had to be spent in the "right way".

But he would not comment on whether any new money would be put at his disposal.

The prime minister has chaired the government's latest emergency meeting on the floods, with Chancellor George Osborne among ministers attending.

The flooding crisis is likely to dominate Prime Minister's Questions at 12:00 GMT.

There are still 16 severe flood warnings - meaning a danger to life - in the south-east and south-west of England.

On Monday, David Cameron announced a package of support for homeowners, businesses and farms affected by the floods - the details of which are likely to be fleshed out in the coming days.

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said the PM had used a "big phrase" to demonstrate his commitment to do whatever was necessary to help those affected but, in reality, there did not seem to be a "big cheque".

Mr McLoughlin told BBC Radio 4's Today that his department would have to look firstly at what was needed to repair the damage to the rail network and then to make it more resilient for the future.

Asked whether ^60m would be made available, he said: "There is a lot of money going into the railways, each day and each week. What now has to be asked is are we doing the right kind of resilience for today's problems.

"We need to make sure we are spending the money in the right and correct way."

It was fair to assume, he added, that the storms of the past two months were "not a one-off" and the UK would have to prepare itself for future periods of extreme weather.

On the issue funding, he told ITV's Daybreak: "I don't think it's a blank cheque. I think what the prime minister was making very clear is that we are going to use every resource of the government and money is not the issue while we are in this relief job, in the first instance, of trying to bring relief to those communities that are affected."

'Tough choice'
 The 2007 floods in the north of England cost business ^740m while the Commons energy and climate change committee has suggested ^500m would need to be spent to make the UK's flood defences ready for future floods.

The UK Independence Party has called on the prime minister to give more details of where the money will come from, saying that the sums needed could run to hundreds of millions of pounds.

It has called for money to be temporarily taken from the foreign aid budget to deal with the immediate challenges - a proposal rejected by the prime minister.

"It is all very well for the prime minister to say that whatever money is needed will be spent," the party's communications director Patrick O'Flynn said.

"But unless he is also willing to take a tough choice about where to switch resources from then we must assume he plans to sink the nation even further into debt by borrowing it."

Courtesy www.bbc.co.uk/news

But haven't seen it on the BBC website.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2014, 17:32:22 »

there are closer depots (Bristol for example)  but OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) is almost straight off the end of the M4 so perhaps an easier journey.  

Apparently some of the Laira staff have been bought up to temporarily work at OOC, so HST maintenance doesn't fall behind.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2014, 17:57:17 »

Paul Clifton (@PaulCliftonBBC), Transport Correspondent for BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today has just tweeted the following:

Great Western disruption by flooding at Maidenhead is "much more serious" than sea wall collapse at Dawlish, warns @fgw

Great Western disruption at Maidenhead "could continue for weeks" says rail expert. Network Rail: "it's not not a short term fix"

EDIT: Just seen that there will be a report about this on BBC South Today at 18.30 tonight.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: