Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:12 Reading to Newbury
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:57 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 11:19:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[54] Cornish delays
[14] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417161 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 14, 2014, 18:18:57 »

IF Network Rail do decide to completely close the line for two weeks then FGW (First Great Western) could use the Reading works diversions via Banbury for Bristol/South Wales services and WoE services into Waterloo. I admit not easy to do during normal weekday running competing for track space with Chiltern and SWT (South West Trains) but neither will busing thousands of passengers between Reading and Paddington.

The total closure of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) I would suggest will not happen, there would have to be a major increase in threat, the wrath of the Home Sec and all the other local MP (Member of Parliament)'s including Dave from West Oxfordshire would know no bounds not to mention that of the passengers.

More likely are early shut downs in the evening and a late starts in the morning and weekends to allow Network Rail to move assets, some of the track has already been raise according to insider.

What may happen is the re-signalling to Thames Valley Regional Control Centre and abolition of Slough PSB (Power Signal Box) might get accelerated or even just extending the Didcot area East pasted the affected area, even this will take several months

I agree - the closure of the GWML would cause utter chaos, the M4 has been even more horrendous over the last few days, it would never be allowed.......would it?  Shocked
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 14, 2014, 20:11:22 »

All services in Cornwall suspended pending inspection Sat morning.

Penzance station flooded http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/newspage---latest-news-reports-and-photographs.html
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 14, 2014, 20:30:16 »

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 14, 2014, 20:39:39 »

.......and on the same Cornwall Railway Society site this ongoing diary of events at Dawlish: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/a-dawlish-diary.html

I wonder how those containers are standing up to the storm tonight.  Its the worse winds down in the Far West since the 1987 storm (and I thought that was bad enough) Shocked Cry
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2014, 20:45:46 »

No trains between Bath and Southampton resulting in suspension of Cardiff to Portsmouth services.   This is due to so many trees blocking the line and still falling.   Decision taken to suspend services rather than try and struggle through with uncertainty due to the ever increasing number of incidents.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 14, 2014, 20:52:08 »

Dawlish must be getting an absolute pounding. Down here in Truro the gales are incredible and show no sign of letting up.

Those pictures of Penzance are shocking.
sorch

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 14, 2014, 21:00:19 »

We're stuck between Westbury and Castle Cary on an Exeter bound service, the train has hit a tree.

The wind is rocking the carriage a bit.

I wish I hadn't just missed the earlier Exeter service at Slough..
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 14, 2014, 21:10:59 »

We're stuck between Westbury and Castle Cary on an Exeter bound service, the train has hit a tree.

Good luck for the rest of your journey. Are there many people on board?
sorch

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 14, 2014, 21:15:00 »

Good luck for the rest of your journey. Are there many people on board?

I am in the quiet carriage, so perhaps not the greatest benchmark but I'd say it's comfortably busy but still plenty of seats so I hope no one is standing.

Unfortunately despite it being the quiet carriage, a load of rah-rah gap year idiots are bullying a guy who doesn't work for First, but happens to be wearing FGW (First Great Western)-style colours and happened to be talking about what was going on based on volunteer experience (a member of this fine forum perhaps?). They can't get it through their heads that they can't smoke and certainly can't get off the train to smoke.

The TM(resolve) has said that we may have an hour's wait while fitters/network rail come out. I live in Cornwall but I'm glad someone is picking me up from Exeter, I'd be going loopy between this and bustitution (which I hear isn't running?)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 14, 2014, 21:18:51 »

It is reported there are around 200 people on the train (the 18:03 from Paddington).

I think you may have blinked and missed Castle Cary, as the tree was reported to be half a mile west of the station rather than the Westbury side.  Having called at Castle Cary the train wasn't hopefully going too fast but has sustained some damage.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 14, 2014, 21:21:09 »

Well Cornwall is certainly windy but there's very little rain, so hope your onward road journey is fine. In take it there are refreshments available?
sorch

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 14, 2014, 21:21:32 »

It is reported there are around 200 people on the train (the 18:03 from Paddington).

I think you may have blinked and missed Castle Cary, as the tree was reported to be half a mile west of the station rather than the Westbury side.  Having called at Castle Cary the train wasn't hopefully going too fast but has sustained some damage.

You could be right, I was watching a film so wasn't taking much notice.

The train did slow down very quickly so I'm guessing it wasn't going too fast.

TM(resolve) is suggesting that the train is not that badly damaged according to the driver and that the train may start moving soon, or may not, depending on what control says and if they need to send someone out.
sorch

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 14, 2014, 21:22:53 »

Well Cornwall is certainly windy but there's very little rain, so hope your onward road journey is fine. In take it there are refreshments available?

I'm only going as far as just after Bodmin, and apparently they had a uneventful journey to Exeter, so I'm guessing it'll be ok when I finally get to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains).

The buffet is open so hopefully there's still something to be sold Smiley

edit: moving again now, TM(resolve) said it will be at reduced speed.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 21:32:25 by sorch » Logged
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 14, 2014, 21:36:50 »

Good news. Hope your lift doesn't have to wait too long
sorch

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 14, 2014, 21:43:43 »

Good news. Hope your lift doesn't have to wait too long

I hope so too. My phone said we were going 90 to 95mph a minute ago (I don't know what the linespeed should be or if that's a "reduced speed", but we've stopped just outside of Somerton according to Google Maps. I hope it's nothing too sinister.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: