Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:10 Newbury to Reading
11:12 Reading to Newbury
Short Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 10:45:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[54] Cornish delays
[14] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 417158 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: February 27, 2014, 09:06:06 »

This morning at Maidenhead was not good.. platform swapping, mis-information.. delayed trains..people getting on and off on again trains as the information was wrong... It really isn't totally better yet

Plus tonight's events didn't help - signal failures at Acton and Twyford and a person taken ill on a train at Iver. I had yet another near two-hour journey home.

Yep me too yesterday evening.. I was on the 7.18pm which left Paddington bang on time and then spent 17 minutes stuck at Ladbroke grove, finally getting to Maidenhead nearly half an hour late. I think I'd have rather waited at Paddington rather than just outside as at least then we would have all had the option to get off of the train again
Silver

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:39 »

The Henley service broke completely last night.  I got the 18.05 from Paddington, having left work in the city at 17.15, eventually got home to Wargrave at 20.20 having been rescued from Twyford by my wife, picking my car up from Wargrave then driving stuck passengers from Wargrave to Twyford, then others from Twyford to Shiplake.  FGW (First Great Western) were mumbling about getting a bus but I'm sure that would have taken a good couple of hours to organise and then move everyone to where they needed to be.

The Henley service has been a complete shambles for the past three weeks.  We have set-up a car pool in the village with people taking it in turns to drive into London so we can avoid using the train and having 3+ hour journeys each way. We had hoped that we wouldn't need this anymore but so far this week things haven't been good.  Our season tickets are not looking good value at the moment given that we have paid for these but are now having to pay for petrol and parking in London on top.  I hear "compensation" letters have started to go out to season ticket holders but these do not say what the compensation will be.

I know nothing about the engineering infrastructure but to a layman the lack of resilience in the signalling on the Paddington to London line seems to be completely unacceptable.  I know the recent problems have been largely due to flooding but we do seem to get a random signal failure or similar about twice per week as a rule and it has got worse not better in the seven years I have been using the service.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:20:18 by Silver » Logged
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 27, 2014, 10:52:49 »

The 19:05 Henley service took an hour to reach Maidenhead last night.   Angry
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #678 on: February 27, 2014, 10:58:58 »

Marlow/Maidenhead User Group's AGM (Annual General Meeting) coming up shortly - go & harrang FGW (First Great Western)....
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 27, 2014, 12:18:49 »

Marlow/Maidenhead User Group's AGM (Annual General Meeting) coming up shortly - go & harrang FGW (First Great Western)....

.........you can't beat a good "harrang" now and again!  Wink

....think I must have been lucky last night, got the 1818 from Reading which was a few minutes late but when I got back to Taplow the information boards had the dreaded "signal failure, don't know when it'll be fixed, you might as well go and have a pint" message and there were already a few cancellations.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 27, 2014, 12:21:05 »

FGW (First Great Western) site still showing red on the Paddington to Reading fast train service yet the service updates show nothing and the Cotswold and other lines are green. After all this time I cannot understand why things can't be organised better.

"Party time" in brewery comes to mind. Perhaps Eric Pickles would like to turn his fire on FGW and Network Rail once he's finished with the Environment Agency.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: February 27, 2014, 12:24:12 »

....think I must have been lucky last night, got the 1818 from Reading which was a few minutes late but when I got back to Taplow the information boards had the dreaded "signal failure, don't know when it'll be fixed, you might as well go and have a pint" message and there were already a few cancellations.

...and if that's not a decent Photoshop opportunity, then I don't know what is  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
argg

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 27, 2014, 13:35:08 »

When all the flooding shenanigans began I took the decision to de-camp to SWT (South West Trains) from Wokingham to Waterloo.  Takes longer and costs more (but does have nice 8 coach trains  Wink)

Been keeping an eye on this thread to see when things are back to normal and I can return to Twyford.

Think I'll stay away a while longer.

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 27, 2014, 15:19:53 »

Apologies if this is a repost, but FGW (First Great Western) have now put their emergency train timetables up on their website -

Paddington - Penzance    http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/contents/Timetables/1310891.ashx

Cardiff - Bristol - Weston - Taunton 

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/contents/Timetables/Cardiff%20and%20Bristol%20to%20WestonsuperMare%20and%20Taunton%20timetable%20valid%20until%2028%20February.ashx
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 28, 2014, 12:05:43 »

A very good set of photographs of the entire Dawlish sea wall damage can be seen down the page and on the following pages here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81949-washout-at-dawlish/page-58

Crikey, you can now understand the full extent of the damage to the entire sea wall Shocked Cry

.....and the NR» (Network Rail - home page) plans for the future can be seen here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/26_02_14_dawlish_jmo.pdf

.....and it looks as though Penzance station will reopen sometime Saturday evening (01 March 2014).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:12:28 by SandTEngineer » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #685 on: February 28, 2014, 12:22:23 »

Submerged Somerset railway line to remain closed for 'many weeks'

Trains on a mainline in Somerset could be at a standstill for "many weeks" because of continued flooding problems.

The track at Fordgate - between Taunton and Bridgwater - has been submerged since 7 February.

Network Rail said it could not assess the damage until the water cleared, but this could take several more weeks.

Currently, buses are taking passengers between Bristol and Taunton with a shuttle train service between Bridgwater and Bristol.

The line also links Somerset with Devon, where the line has been closed between Exeter and Plymouth because of damage to the sea walls at Dawlish.

Rail Minister Stephen Hammond said the government was "putting a huge amount of extra money in" to counter the problems from flooding.

"Our key priority is the government working with Network Rail to get this whole network back and running as it should be," he said.

"We've asked Network Rail to come up with a long term resilience plan for the South West so that lessons will be learnt.

"And that [Taunton and Bridgwater line] will be one of the lines that we'll need to look at in terms of the resilience lessons but we've got to build in the correct amount of resilience remembering that this is the wettest winter for 266 years."

That last para is significant - Government warning that they'll be taking the likelihood of repeat damage similar to this year's into account when assessing the NR» (Network Rail - home page) feasibility studies
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 01, 2014, 18:00:35 »

Signals working again in Penzance.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #687 on: March 01, 2014, 18:06:10 »

Is that fully working?   My understanding was that they were going to be able to run trains into Penzance with a pilot man, and full signalling would take longer.   But having been no nearer than zomerzet, I could be wrong.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 01, 2014, 19:36:45 »

Is that fully working?   My understanding was that they were going to be able to run trains into Penzance with a pilot man, and full signalling would take longer.   But having been no nearer than zomerzet, I could be wrong.

I have no technical knowledge - went past Eastern green by bus and saw all the signals displaying what appeared to be correct aspects including the shunting signals.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 01, 2014, 19:46:44 »

Journeycheck is suggesting service may resume this weekend between St Erth and Penzance, but I don't think it has yet.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: