22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:34 Didcot Parkway to Banbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 08:59:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter events and meetings  (Read 22314 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 16:35:18 »

see you on board....possibly. Likely to upgrade to weekend first....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 16:43:12 »

Looks like I'll be heading to Chippenham to pick up that revised 0730 service.

Looks like I'm on 07:48 from Melksham, change at Chippenham.  
Alternative is 09:20 from Melksham which is a bit late

Return at 15:19 and change at Westbury (arr 16:47)
OR
Return at 15:29 and change at Castle Cary, Bath Spa and Chippenham (arr 18:02)

I'm offered a return fare of 19.90 for the 09:20 out and for either the 15:19 or the 15:29 back - so the journey via Chippenham IS an allowed route.   However, no fares are offered for the 07:48 out via Chippenham.  Very curious this - it appears that the fare is valid from Westbury to Chippenham via Bath Spa with a change there, but NOT on the direct line from Chippenham to Westbury. Seems rather unfair;  First HAVE done a very job of fixing most of the "via Melksham" anomalies, and indeed I'm very happy with the "via Melksham" fares.  Do we have an anomaly of some sort here?

I wonder if demand on the day would justify an extra stop in that revised 0730 service...

Hee hee ... tell us of a trip out possibility a few months ahead, and we would have made the stop worthwhile ... but this is too short notice.   Of course, none of us had good notice of the ferocity of the winter storms and their aftermath, so such notice was impossible in this case.

I'm glad to see Easter and Mayday Bank Holiday plans published (even though Mayday is bustitution in our case) as that lets us plane ahead

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 16:52:56 »

Are there any trains in service on the from you on the Chippenham - Westbury direct route? If not, that'll be why the fare doesn't exist on that route. If there are, then yes, you have an anomaly. Happy to pass it on to their fares guru if you ask nicely :-)

As this is a re-routed train, the walk-up fares should be valid that way. If your fare is an Advance, I guess that's tough....

I'm not sure you can fly that trip yet though :-)

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 22:07:08 »

Hmm. Roll Eyes  In view of all this uncertainty and confusion, I rather think I will be driving from Nailsea to Taunton and back on Saturday.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 22:19:26 »

Idle chit chat with some FGW (First Great Western) suits today. Strong suggestion that the 0730 from Paddington is being re-routed again this Saturday to Exeter, so that it could provide a through rail option to Taunton for those travelling to TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) from the Thames Valley and Swindon. One of those likely to be travelling is a certain resident of Pangbourne with the initials MH. I believe he has a bit of clout when it comes to varying timetables.  Wink

The 0730 is back to terminating at Bristol on Monday.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 08:31:57 »

Looks like I'll be heading to Chippenham to pick up that revised 0730 service.

Looks like I'm on 07:48 from Melksham, change at Chippenham.  
Alternative is 09:20 from Melksham which is a bit late

Return at 15:19 and change at Westbury (arr 16:47)
OR
Return at 15:29 and change at Castle Cary, Bath Spa and Chippenham (arr 18:02)

I'm offered a return fare of 19.90 for the 09:20 out and for either the 15:19 or the 15:29 back - so the journey via Chippenham IS an allowed route.   However, no fares are offered for the 07:48 out via Chippenham.  Very curious this - it appears that the fare is valid from Westbury to Chippenham via Bath Spa with a change there, but NOT on the direct line from Chippenham to Westbury. Seems rather unfair;  First HAVE done a very job of fixing most of the "via Melksham" anomalies, and indeed I'm very happy with the "via Melksham" fares.  Do we have an anomaly of some sort here?

Advise from National Rail is that I will need 2 tickets to make the journey. I take the 07:48, buying a Melksham to Swindon day return at 6.70, then a Swindon to Taunton return at 36.00.  And that I need to travel back on a train via "the same route".  I seriously questioning the correctness of the advise given - no doubt those tickets would be valid, but I don't think it's the cheapest fare  Undecided

An unusual case - with few exceptions (summer Fridays and diversions) all TransWilts trains call at Melksham; to be 100% valid I'll probably buy an 18 pound Westbury to Taunton off peak day return, a single Melksham to Chippenham at 3.60 and a Chippenham (via Melksham) to Westbury off peak return at 5.50. I believe "via Melksham" means "stopping at or passing through" in this case, doesn't it?   Cheaper at 27.10 than national rail advise which added up to 42.70 and required me to go via Swindon both ways.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:00:10 »

To fulfill the requirements of a 'via' fare you are correct that a service you wish to use merely has to pass through the 'via' point. It doesn't have to call, and diverted services are perfectly acceptable.

And I think you've found the best combination of fares for your needs. I did look at the Heart of Wessex Day Ranger, plus an Off Peak Day Return from Castle Cary to Taunton, but that comes out at ^27.70, 60p more than the options you've found.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 10:37:13 »

Idle chit chat with some FGW (First Great Western) suits today. Strong suggestion that the 0730 from Paddington is being re-routed again this Saturday to Exeter, so that it could provide a through rail option to Taunton for those travelling to TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) from the Thames Valley and Swindon.

Yup - see my post above.

One of those likely to be travelling is a certain resident of Pangbourne with the initials MH. I believe he has a bit of clout when it comes to varying timetables.  Wink

Indeed, I don't think he fancied over an hour on one of their replacement buses!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:56 »

I am not sure there would have been the same result had it been a weekday service.  The 07:30 from Paddington, while normally my train to the West Country from Swindon, is also an important commuter train for Swindon, Chippenham and Bath passengers between the intermediate stations and Bristol.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 12:34:51 »

MH has pulled out of tomorrow's meeting....instead we have Matthew Golton & Ben Rule, with Patrick Hallgate from NR» (Network Rail - home page) in the pm.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 21:47:39 »

Today's TravelWatch SouthWest meeting in Taunton was excellent - the guest speakers from First Great Western and Network Rail gave up-to-the-minute, open and honest accounts of how their respective organizations are dealing with the current infrastructure problems.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 10:12:29 »

Today's TravelWatch SouthWest meeting in Taunton was excellent - the guest speakers from First Great Western and Network Rail gave up-to-the-minute, open and honest accounts of how their respective organizations are dealing with the current infrastructure problems.

Indeed a useful meeting.  Here is, extended, a comment I made to the moderator team.

There's always a difficult balance between supporting the powers that be and the service providers in their endeavours for passengers, and opposing (or at least questioning) some of their activities and proposals which may not be in the interest of passengers.   

I personally started off / attended my first meetings in the public transport arena with some strong questioning, looking to understand / get answers to questions which I felt might not have been properly, fully, openly explored and looking at conclusions that had been reached that appeared to be contrary to the interests of the travelling / wannabe travelling public.  Over the years, I have come to understand that although there are unpallettable answers at times, most of the answers are for a reason, and if I can understand the reason I have a better chance of asking further questions and making suggestions that will strengthen the case for a better answer.  I have also learned that there are a very great number of experts and enthusiastic advocates of improving public transport, often in surprising official / operational / governmental / commercial management positions who really believe in doing all they can to grow the business / use in a sensible way with controlled risk, and who are often constrained / thwarted / working around loads of other interests, systems and laws, precedents or precedents not to be set.

So today, whilst I still find myself asking difficult questions at times, I'm in a very much more community / supportive role.  To some extent "poacher turned gamekeeper".  But it's important to realise that it's in the interests of both the poacher and the gamekeeper to have a strong stock of game available.

Some of the "politicing" at TravelWatch SouthWest concerns me.  "Renationalise the railways" sits at a point in the political spectrum where - for those who advocate it strongly - may detract from the immediate co-operation that would otherwise be offered / enjoyed by those who are very much part of the current system, to the detriment of shorter term gains.  Yet at the same time, our friends in the transport business (whether company or public sector based) do still need to be questioned.    I sense TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) moving more political and campaigning yesterday, but perhaps that's because I've moved much more main stream, feeling that for the most part we can all work together to make things happen in our common interest, and the interest of the community around us.   Being "travel", that community extends far beyond MBY (My Back Yard) and to the town, the region, and the country.

I am going to document some issues raised yesterday that are a concern and campaigning / better informing may be needed.

a) I don't know the Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton route, but I did note with concern that some senior figures are evaluating it as an extra way to Plymouth based on the time taken by the few through trains that ran in the final, rundown days of the line, with lots of stops and start, rather than the time taken on it when it was a mainline, or the time that would be taken on it were it a new mainline with modern trains

b) National Express Coaches presented their company and plans (and very positive they were too).  They talk of key routes, major flows, great vehicles and good frequencies.  What they didn't talk about was that "branch" network to Ilfracome, Westward Ho!, Frome, and other towns and villages served once a day.  It took an audience member to ask about pricing that seems to exclude the branch network from the better deals, and talking to the speaker afterwards I do question whether a Beeching style cut of these branches isn't impossible.

c) Recent rises in fares on buses - 33% (3 to 4 pounds in one case), and 42% (7 to 10 pounds for a lesser product) in another, and withdrawal of multi journey tickets forcing paying customers to pay more are a concern;  huge increases make it very difficult to persuade people to make more use of the bus, even though 'sustainable' and 'CO2 footprint' is what we're about these days. The explanation, perhaps, is in the concessionary fares system through which most (?) passengers on may buses don't pay as they travel - they're paid for by their local council at a percentage of the fare that the few (?) 'normal' passengers pay.

d) There are concerns at the Wiltshire and Swindon to Bath and North East Somerset border in terms of future planning.  It's good to have the LEPs» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) and other somewhat wider metro areas taking a view on transport as it helps to reduce the number of artificial interfaces, but there are still boundaries and as the various transport responsible bodies cover a wider area, they need to remember not only long distance travel beyond (which they seem good at), but also over-border shorter distance traffic.   BaNES plans to provide jobs for many residents in West Wiltshire, but I remain unconvinced that the daily travel and transport issues across the boundary and part of any greater hub.  It was noticeable that the biggest flow on the TransWilts service yesterday afternoon was Trowbridge (passengers changing from Bristol / Bath) to Melksham

There is also very much the need for the community to be kept informed to make inputs where appropriate.   There's something of a mystery at present around "First Somerset" becoming "Buses of Somerset". Stated as being to differentiate local companies, but it's interesting to note that that Buses of Somerset website has zero reference to First - or any other owning company.  And the style does look much closer to another bus company - go ahead and take a look at the site.   Now - I'm not saying that legally there's any requirement to declare who owns a bus company, but am I alone in wondering is it's a bit disrespectful to customers not to say who you really are when providing a service?

Then there's the interesting issue as to what's good for one group may not be good for another.  To start a new service where there's a real need, or to use stock to provide extra capacity on existing services.   To run trains between "L" and "P" stopping only at "E" along the way, and scheduling them at 3 hours, or to run much more frequent services from "L" to "P" stopping at "R", "W", "T", "E", "N" and "T" along the way, in 3 hours 20 minutes.  Whether it's good to electrify though places like "B" and "P" to "W" giving them a frequent stopper service, or to continue to serve them will occasional high speed trains with less stops into London.

Correction made ... I understand that a significant local flow is developing along the Trowbridge / Melksham / Chippenham corridor, with many people finding the service fast, reliable, comfortable, well priced, and running for more days of the week than alternative public transport.  So I have crossed out my assertion that the block of people getting on at Trowbridge and off at Melksham were simply changing trains at Trowbridge.  With that change, my comment about the SWLEP report should be substantially more positive on this aspect. On virtually all other matters, I wholeheartedly comment the report.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 18:43:38 by grahame » Logged

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 11:02:54 »

d) There are concerns at the Wiltshire and Swindon to Bath and North East Somerset border in terms of future planning.  It's good to have the LEPs» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) and other somewhat wider metro areas taking a view on transport as it helps to reduce the number of artificial interfaces, but there are still boundaries and as the various transport responsible bodies cover a wider area, they need to remember not only long distance travel beyond (which they seem good at), but also over-border shorter distance traffic.   BaNES plans to provide jobs for many residents in West Wiltshire, but I remain unconvinced that the daily travel and transport issues across the boundary and part of any greater hub.  It was noticeable that the biggest flow on the TransWilts service yesterday afternoon was Trowbridge (passengers changing from Bristol / Bath) to Melksham

To be honest, I think this is an example of where everybody concerned (including ourselves) at these meetings & associated spin-off gatherings has their own views, positions and aims that they want to see moved forward. In such cases, it is important to take these views on board and consider them, rather than take them as read and see them as justification for a significant shift in emphasis.

For example, it would be a shame if what I feel is a pretty good overall report ended up being sidelined as irredeemably flawed due to concerns that are either a matter of debate or purely cosmetic.

Also, I personally think that the relatively high Trowbridge to Melksham figures recorded yesterday are more indicative of the natural difference between leisure and travel-to-work flows, and the overall count evidence so far does back this up. Whilst it is important that we give such traffic flows due weight, they should not in themselves be seen as a justification for a significant change in emphasis.

There is also very much the need for the community to be kept informed to make inputs where appropriate.   There's something of a mystery at present around "First Somerset" becoming "Buses of Somerset". Stated as being to differentiate local companies, but it's interesting to note that that Buses of Somerset website has zero reference to First - or any other owning company.  And the style does look much closer to another bus company - go ahead and take a look at the site.   Now - I'm not saying that legally there's any requirement to declare who owns a bus company, but am I alone in wondering is it's a bit disrespectful to customers not to say who you really are when providing a service?

Indeed. I have speculated along those lines myself whilst, in the tradition of balance for which this forum is rightly proud, offered an alternative explanation as well:

The change in name and livery and complete removal of the word "First" makes me wonder if they are preparing to sell off this bus company. Would it be more attractive to a potential buyer if they didn't have to repaint and remove all references to the previous owner? If so you could probably rule out Stagecoach and Arriva because they'd probably want the buses in their own corporate identity so perhaps a smaller operator might be interested.
First sold their London operations a few months back. Operating TfL» (Transport for London - about) routes the new owner Metroline had to keep the existing red colour scheme so the only changes to those buses was the Metroline logo replacing First.
I understand that First have sold other bus fleets in recent years possibly to reduce their debt.

The same thought has occurred to me, most recently when flicking through their "bite-sized bus guide" booklet (a play on the buses of Somerset logo being apple-based).

You missed out one of the bus company big boys in your post though, Surrey 455, and if you compare "the buses of Somerset" website with websites of certain subsidiaries of said bus company big boy, then you would be forgiven for thinking that First had sold the operation to them:

the buses of Somerset

Southern Vectis

Salisbury Reds

Or indeed the email addresses:

talk2us@busesofsomerset.co.uk

talk2us@southernvectis.com

talk2us@salisburyreds.co.uk

However, one suspects that this has rather less to do with an impending sale, and rather more to do with the trademark branding of Best Impressions...

...whose email address is talk2us@best-impressions.co.uk

I guess you will just have to go ahead and decide for yourselves  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 14:54:14 »

Some of the "politicing" at TravelWatch SouthWest concerns me.  "Renationalise the railways" sits at a point in the political spectrum where - for those who advocate it strongly - may detract from the immediate co-operation that would otherwise be offered / enjoyed by those who are very much part of the current system, to the detriment of shorter term gains.  Yet at the same time, our friends in the transport business (whether company or public sector based) do still need to be questioned.    I sense TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) moving more political and campaigning yesterday, but perhaps that's because I've moved much more main stream, feeling that for the most part we can all work together to make things happen in our common interest, and the interest of the community around us.   Being "travel", that community extends far beyond MBY (My Back Yard) and to the town, the region, and the country.

Agreed. and not just from the floor, but the audience. One good example was the uninformed gent who tried to object to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) on the grounds of the 'extra 20 minutes cut from journey times" argument, which was shown to be non-existent some time ago and accepted by all political parties that capacity is the sole reason it's needed. It's a shame no one pointed out to him that the WCML (West Coast Main Line) is full, with very few additional paths available - while his GWML (Great Western Main Line) has plenty of paths but no justification in terms of demand for additional trains to PLY» (Plymouth - next trains). What is needed is for the Business mandarins of PLY and the wider SW to present a business plan showing the demand for additional trains & also backing up the additional call for faster trains (with Patrick Hallgate from NR» (Network Rail - home page) pointing out that the only way to do this is to remove stops as trains can't go faster for longer owing to the shape of the route). So far, all we get is bluster and exaggerated unsubstantiated earnings figures!

I don't know the Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton route, but I did note with concern that some senior figures are evaluating it as an extra way to Plymouth based on the time taken by the few through trains that ran in the final, rundown days of the line, with lots of stops and start, rather than the time taken on it when it was a mainline, or the time that would be taken on it were it a new mainline with modern trains

Simply because that is the way it will be used. Local pressure from the area of damage will prevent the new line becoming the 'Main Line', coz the current line area don't want to lose their mainline status. So the new line will just be a diversionary line, thus little point in spending the extra billions (even the extra 0.xx billion) in making it 125mph...it'll be used by mainline only when Dawlish is damaged again, and that may not be for years after its complete. As Patrick Hallgate said yesterday, his report won't be able to recommend spending that sort of money on a line that will only be a diversionary route.

More in the Dawlish thread methinks

b) National Express Coaches presented their company and plans (and very positive they were too).  They talk of key routes, major flows, great vehicles and good frequencies.  What they didn't talk about was that "branch" network to Ilfracome, Westward Ho!, Frome, and other towns and villages served once a day.  It took an audience member to ask about pricing that seems to exclude the branch network from the better deals, and talking to the speaker afterwards I do question whether a Beeching style cut of these branches isn't impossible.

Agreed - the NE guy did point out that they get zero subsidy & have to make commercial decisions.

c) Recent rises in fares on buses - 33% (3 to 4 pounds in one case), and 42% (7 to 10 pounds for a lesser product) in another, and withdrawal of multi journey tickets forcing paying customers to pay more are a concern;  huge increases make it very difficult to persuade people to make more use of the bus, even though 'sustainable' and 'CO2 footprint' is what we're about these days. The explanation, perhaps, is in the concessionary fares system through which most (?) passengers on may buses don't pay as they travel - they're paid for by their local council at a percentage of the fare that the few (?) 'normal' passengers pay.

Yup - they're doing this to push up the amount of subsidy councils pay for the free trips being made by Freedom Pass holders. It'll end in tears with Councils having to make additional cuts in order to fund this. While at the same time, pushing the under 65s off the buses owing to the high fares. Ouch coming up in a year or so.

There is also very much the need for the community to be kept informed to make inputs where appropriate. 

That also applies to TWSW too - when was  the last time they gathered input from all their members to inform their campaigning? Some time ago, and I think some of the contra comments from the audience showed that up, in that they are starting not to speak for the all....they need to design in some way of getting input....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 15:06:11 »

Interesting that HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is all about capacity now. Why hasn't it been renamed and downgraded engineering wise to say, 140mph if 'High Speed' is no longer the reason? I'd suggest there's a good deal of politicing going on there as well by folk at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and HS2 Ltd scrabbling around to try and make the justification for the astronomical expense.

As for capacity on the WCML (West Coast Main Line). Have you taken a Pendolino (three an hour x11 coaches remember) to Manchester or Birmingham at any time other than between 1630 and 1900. Plenty of fresh air being carted around and using up valuable paths that could be better put to serving semi-fast services on the southern end of the WCML.

There's a lot of bluster and unsubstantiated earnings figures coming from the pro-HS2 camp as well.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: