Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 02:15:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: More potential flooding this weekend (31/01/2014 - 02/02/2014)  (Read 11655 times)
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 20:52:57 »

And I just hear there's been a 4.1 magnitude earth tremor in the Bristol Channel, felt in Devon. Hope that doesn't shake up the infrastructure.

There was a documentary on T.V. a few years ago about a faultline under the Bristol Channel, which shifted in the 15thc and caused a tsunami in Weston-super-Mare; I wonder if it's the same one that's caused this earth tremor?

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 23:44:38 »

That's a good point, Cynthia - although that 'tsunami' occurred on 30 January 1607, rather than in the 15th century: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 23:52:08 »

And I just hear there's been a 4.1 magnitude earth tremor in the Bristol Channel, felt in Devon. Hope that doesn't shake up the infrastructure.

There was a documentary on T.V. a few years ago about a faultline under the Bristol Channel, which shifted in the 15thc and caused a tsunami in Weston-super-Mare; I wonder if it's the same one that's caused this earth tremor?

The programme iirc suggested that fault was off the south coast of Ireland not in the Bristol Channel
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 11:11:52 »

A geology lecturer on TV this morning definitely referred to the Bristol Channel, though he made the point that the longer the fault line, the bigger the effect so the fault could well stretch out towards Ireland. That's apparently why the San Andreas fault is so dangerous because it's so long.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 15:58:13 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Earthquake confirmed in Bristol Channel

An earthquake has been recorded under the Bristol Channel, the British Geological Survey (BGS) has confirmed.

The 4.1 magnitude quake happened at about 13:21 GMT and was felt in Devon, south Wales and Somerset.

The focus was north of Ilfracombe, Devon, and south of the Gower, in Wales, and was at a depth of 3.1 miles (5km).

The BGS said it had received reports of people feeling the quake in Dartmoor, Bristol, Taunton, Swansea, Llanelli, Exmouth, Barnstaple, Gloucester and South Molton.

Susanne Sargeant, from the BGS, said it was "not unusual" to get quakes in the channel.

The quake was felt in parts of south Wales, Devon and Somerset

"It is an area in the Bristol Channel we know to have seismological action," she said. "One guy called and said he was in his house when he felt the earthquake - he said it was a bit of a surprise. Things were shaking on the shelves and he ran outside.

"We do see earthquakes here from time to time and the last one was at Hartland Point in 2001 - that's 50km south west of today's earthquake."

Colin Taylor, who is a professor of earthquake engineering at the University of Bristol, said an event with a magnitude of 4.1 should not cause any significant damage. "Humans are very sensitive to movement and although it might feel quite noticeable the worse you're likely to get is perhaps cracks in plaster or old masonry," he said. "These so-called shallow events happen every now and again in the UK (United Kingdom) and is typically caused by a local fault - under stress - which moves from time to time.

"It is an intra-plate event rather than the inter-plate movement you'd see on something like the San Andreas fault in California."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 21:14:33 »

That's a good point, Cynthia - although that 'tsunami' occurred on 30 January 1607, rather than in the 15th century: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607  Wink

Thanks for putting me right there, CfN, can you let me off - I was only about 200 years out! 

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 21:27:20 »

A mere 'drop in the ocean', Cynthia!  Grin

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 21:31:09 »

The link given by

also gives the theory that the cause was a sub-sea landslip off the coast of Ireland
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 22:02:42 »

A mere 'drop in the ocean', Cynthia!  Grin

Ha!  I like it!

There is a theory that animals are sensitive to seismological events.  Now, I know that here in West Wiltshire I'm a long way from the Bristol Channel, but coincidentally, my dog was behaving very strangely yesterday; restless, jumpy, confused (oh sorry, that was me actually....) she kept trying to hide under the table/under the bed/in her bed but under the bedding/ you name it she tried to hide under it.  I've never known her behave in that way before.  There was definitely something spooking her.  Anyone else's dog freaking out yesterday? 

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 22:13:07 »

Meanwhile further east, the Swindon Advertiser reported the earthquake - but said you wouldn't notice....

CLAIMS of an earthquake in Swindon this afternoon were a little premature, after the British Geological Survey (BGS) clarified confusion surrounding tremors in the town.

Seismometers belonging to the earth science experts in the town did pick up ground movement caused by the earthquake, which began in the Bristol Channel, but this was not great enough for humans to feel it.

Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 22:16:58 »

Meanwhile further east, the Swindon Advertiser reported the earthquake - but said you wouldn't notice....

CLAIMS of an earthquake in Swindon this afternoon were a little premature, after the British Geological Survey (BGS) clarified confusion surrounding tremors in the town.

Seismometers belonging to the earth science experts in the town did pick up ground movement caused by the earthquake, which began in the Bristol Channel, but this was not great enough for humans to feel it.

Ah, maybe that is what Echo was picking up on......

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 22:28:16 »

You didn't fall off your bike again did you bobm?  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 23:11:00 »

You didn't fall off your bike again did you bobm?  Tongue Wink Grin

Now before this becomes an "in" joke.  I fell off my bike on the ice - and then only as I was moving it from the road to the pavement outside my destination.  Cost me a new pair of trousers too after I ripped a large part out of my knee and the fabric.

(Someone ask him about his trip from Swindon to Bristol via Yatton.....)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 23:21:20 »

(Someone ask him about his trip from Swindon to Bristol via Yatton.....)

Touch^  Grin

It was a nice forty winks though. Although maybe not for those around me if I was snoring again.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: