07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 08:38:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TGV programme criticised for over-optimism  (Read 2620 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2014, 20:47:33 »

The obscure French Euro-politics magazine Contexte has published a piece on an as yet unpublished report of the Cour des Comptes (which is like nothing we have - a very grand kind of Comptroller and Auditor-general, set up in 1807 but on a mediaeval model). The article says this will criticise not just the predictions of profitability, BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) in our planning terms, but the extent of political interference in the planning decisions and such aberrations. (I'd rather wait for that report than translate any bits of the current article.)

Of course the kind of BCR being used for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and some other big projects includes "wider benefits". I'm not sure if the French process did that; I suspect the TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) system has always been claimed as worth doing for the SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) in simple commercial terms. That's not to deny that social benefits were not intended, especially d^senclavement, but they may not have been quantified and used to justify the cost.

Mind you, it's not exactly news that the TGV is losing money - it was announced in August that some changes would be needed, such as cuts in some little-used services and more of the "Ouigo" Ryanair-style trains. This piece in the Economist covered that story.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 14:08:25 »

SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways)'s internal proposals for increasing the revenue from TGVs (Train a Grande Vitesse) have (in the usual french manner) leaked, this time to economiematin.fr. There's this short English report in Connexions.
TGV fare rise plan with tougher rules
October 25, 2014

THE SNCF is considering increasing prices on its high-speed TGVs and making ticket conditions stricter in an attempt to boost revenue.

A leaked memo from the French rail operator's marketing department also suggests saving money by scrapping the buffet service on some second-class journeys.

The ideas, published by EconomieMatin.fr, come after the national auditor, the Cour des Comptes, criticised the running of the TGV network and its cost to the taxpayer. It called on the government to stop subsidising unprofitable high-speed routes.

The SNCF's leaked suggestions include a price rise, ranging from ^6 to ^12, on all tickets on the five main routes from Paris to Lyon, Marseille, Strasbourg, Lille and Bordeaux. This could make an extra ^10 million a year.

First-class tickets would be made more expensive with a meal included as standard, except on Paris-Lille.

It is also proposed that the bar service be removed for second-class passengers on journeys under three hours, with the exception of Paris-Lyon.

The SNCF is also considering making it more difficult for travellers to obtain a refund or exchange for their ticket.

One option would be to ban refunds in the week before travel and charge up to ^15 to swap on to another train, with exchanges not allowed in the 24 hours before the train leaves.

- See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/sncf-considers-tgv-fare-rise-new-restrictions-refunds-exchanges-16289-view-article.html#sthash.skFhd9Jd.dpuf

If withdrawing 2nd class catering is being considered, even in France, evidently it loses a lot of money. TGV bar/buffet services were let in a new contract not long ago, but presumably its viability is still in question. The menu is pretty large, but mostly snacks - some packaged as "meals". There are perhaps two "proper" meal options (one vegetarian) that's always the same. So to find none in the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)/SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) just reflects a pan-European trend, I'm afraid.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 14:18:56 »

If withdrawing 2nd class catering is being considered, even in France, evidently it loses a lot of money. TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) bar/buffet services were let in a new contract not long ago, but presumably its viability is still in question. The menu is pretty large, but mostly snacks - some packaged as "meals". There are perhaps two "proper" meal options (one vegetarian) that's always the same. So to find none in the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)/SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) just reflects a pan-European trend, I'm afraid.
I don't understand why axing standard class catering but keeping it in first class makes the service any more viable. Sure, providing seperate facilities as was initally proposed for IEP (there was a trailer buffet standard AS WELL AS the driving kitchen first) makes very little sense but surely if you have the staff cooking for first class pax anyway then the ability to sell a few more meals from the same kitchen by offering them to standard class as well would seem to be a way of increasing revenue from the kitchen for very little extra cost.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 14:21:27 »

You obviously didn't do bean-counting at school did you.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 14:29:43 »

If so many train operators, and concession-holders, have tried and failed I think you just have to accept it doesn't work. And remember that, at the time customers want meals from the buffet, there are no spare restaurant staff.

Another idea being considered is to bundle a compulsory meal with 1st class, as currently I think there is with "Business Pro". that suggests that the 1st class catering on its own may be seen as a money-loser.
Brusselier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 18:04:30 »

I must admit hearing that there is catering for first class passengers on TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) is news to me. In the many times that I've taken TGV atlantique to Brittany, I've never had any form of catering offered apart from once when a member of staff offered to fetch something from the buffet (I had to give him the money to do this). TGVs are fitted with vending machines, so there will still be some access to food/drink.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 18:25:07 »

I must admit hearing that there is catering for first class passengers on TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) is news to me. In the many times that I've taken TGV atlantique to Brittany, I've never had any form of catering offered apart from once when a member of staff offered to fetch something from the buffet (I had to give him the money to do this). TGVs are fitted with vending machines, so there will still be some access to food/drink.

And they may do more trolley service, too.

What they currently claim to offer strikes me as rather confused, and may have changed a bit with the relaunch and new contractor. The at-seat meals are (extras) in Pro Premiere, not "standard" 1st. That seems to be different from the Pro tickets, which come as both 2nd and 1st. And the meals do seem to be rather the airline-plastic served-in-a-box type.

One of the headlines in the Economie Matin article refers to 25% of Pro Premiere passengers switching to 2nd, though there is no supporting text. So it almost looks like a shift towards a higher premium for 1st with more service, and lower numbers - i.e. more like in Britain. Or maybe I'm reading to much into what is only rumour and hearsay about something still being discussed inside SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways)...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: